Old 26-03-2003, 04:44 AM
KATE KARON

Default best roses for Albuquerque, NM

Albuquerque is in the high desert, at about 5000 feet. It's DRY here, above 90
in summer, but down to 60 at night. I think that the summer weather is prone to
mildew.

Anybody have any ideas?

Is there still a Southwest(ern) Rose Society?

Old 26-03-2003, 05:08 AM
Cass

KATE KARON wrote:

Albuquerque is in the high desert, at about 5000 feet. It's DRY here,
above 90 in summer, but down to 60 at night. I think that the summer
weather is prone to mildew.

Anybody have any ideas?

Is there still a Southwest(ern) Rose Society?

Better than that. There's Mack's rose site, a rosarian guy in Socorro
who grows lots and lots of roses.

http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~mstephen/ros99.htm

I figure if he can grow roses there, you should be able to do the same
kinds of things in Albuquerque. Of course, he has a big ditch to
irrigate from.

--
-=-
Cass
Old 26-03-2003, 05:32 AM
Shiva

Old 26-03-2003, 02:56 PM
Tim Tompkins

Go to:

http://www.ars.org/dynaweb/1001124/e...pacswdistrict/

This is a listing of the ARS local societies for your area.

Tim

Old 27-03-2003, 03:56 PM
lms

In article ,
says...

Albuquerque is in the high desert, at about 5000 feet. It's DRY here, above 90
in summer, but down to 60 at night. I think that the summer weather is prone

mildew.

nooooooooope, that's a swamp thing.
I do remember the first time I saw mildew--an october--on the RioG, which is a
rose gathered from the acequias down by San Antonio (NM). All of a sudden it
took on this silver sheen, was quite fascinating actually--shocked the hell out
of me. Have had this rose 7 years or so, it's done this one and one half
times.
On a different occasion, same time of year, and for a couple days I saw some
mildew on Dr. Huey. This is the sum total of my mildewed rose experience since
86. If you want mildew, you'll have to get some Zinnias and wait til right
before they freeze to deat.

Blackspot's not so rare--if the monsoon becomes extended, as opposed to lately
nonexistent, any that are able are willing and I've before seen it strip most
of the ladies bare. Three which I've found practically impervious to the spot,
and which fit the bill of the subject, are Apricot Twist, Elina, and Sunsprite.
And since I know you like explosive roses, find a place for Trier and make room
for Dr. Brownell, which is a rose you can find in any cheap catalog. They're
both just so so fine, don't think I've ever cut a dead cane off either. And if
you need some red and have a craving for the fireieiost red/orange, then
Europeana and Trumpeter, in no particular order. Showbiz too. And anyone who
lives in the dry should exploit their good fortune with the Rosa Foetida
hybrids, there are several--R. foetida, R. foetida bicolor (Austrian Briar),
Persian Yellow, Soleil d'Or, and Harison's Yellow among them. Practically all
modern yellow roses descend from them.

Anybody have any ideas?

Is there still a Southwest(ern) Rose Society?

abq rose society:
http://www.albuquerquerose.com/

m, Socorro

Old 27-03-2003, 03:56 PM
lms

In article ,
says...

KATE KARON wrote:

Albuquerque is in the high desert, at about 5000 feet. It's DRY here,
above 90 in summer, but down to 60 at night. I think that the summer
weather is prone to mildew.

Anybody have any ideas?

Is there still a Southwest(ern) Rose Society?

Better than that. There's Mack's rose site, a rosarian guy in Socorro
who grows lots and lots of roses.

http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~mstephen/ros99.htm

I figure if he can grow roses there, you should be able to do the same
kinds of things in Albuquerque. Of course, he has a big ditch to
irrigate from.

hahaha, yeah, big ditch. everybod's happy with their first long drink. I have
a renewed spirit. heheh. Am waiting for another Dr. Brownell, another
Sunsprite, another Paul McCartney, Barbara Streisand, Amalia, some kinda
'Autumn' gd climber, and Fire Meidelland. That oughta do me. I think I'm
most excited about the clitoria in the greenhouse though. I broke the first
one that popped out, really pistmeov. But anyways, Happy Spring, Cass.

Old 27-03-2003, 03:56 PM
lms

In article m,
says...

On 26 Mar 2003 04:34:34 GMT,
(KATE KARON) wrote:

Anybody have any ideas?

Is there still a Southwest(ern) Rose Society?

http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~mstephen/ros99.htm

hmmmm. interesting.

came up with a new word last night: saddamikazis. what do you think?
another chapter?

Old 27-03-2003, 04:20 PM
Shiva

On 27 Mar 2003 14:17:49 GMT, (lms) wrote:

http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~mstephen/ros99.htm

hmmmm. interesting.

I thought so too. I took a long look at your web site that night.

came up with a new word last night: saddamikazis. what do you think?
another chapter?

I do think.

BTW, nice spookiness. It's my birthday.

Glad you're back.

Old 27-03-2003, 04:32 PM
Shiva

On 27 Mar 2003 14:17:35 GMT, (lms) wrote:

I think I'm
most excited about the clitoria in the greenhouse though.

Hey, see here fella, this is not THAT kind of newsgroup.

Old 27-03-2003, 04:32 PM
Cass

In article , lms
wrote:

In article ,
says...

KATE KARON wrote:

Albuquerque is in the high desert, at about 5000 feet. It's DRY here,
above 90 in summer, but down to 60 at night. I think that the summer
weather is prone to mildew.

Anybody have any ideas?

Is there still a Southwest(ern) Rose Society?

Better than that. There's Mack's rose site, a rosarian guy in Socorro
who grows lots and lots of roses.

http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~mstephen/ros99.htm

I figure if he can grow roses there, you should be able to do the same
kinds of things in Albuquerque. Of course, he has a big ditch to
irrigate from.

hahaha, yeah, big ditch. everybod's happy with their first long drink. I
have
a renewed spirit. heheh. Am waiting for another Dr. Brownell,

Didja kill the first one? I'm about to lay good money on the line for
that one for someone who's listened to you, so if it croaked on its
own, we need to know so we can buy something better.

another Sunsprite,

which taught me a thing or two about pruning this year. I BR'd mine to
redecorate, and I'll be damned if it doesn't look soooo much better
after the vicious attack of cutting all the canes back to about a foot.

another Paul McCartney, Barbara Streisand, Amalia, some kinda
'Autumn' gd climber, and Fire Meidelland. That oughta do me. I think I'm
most excited about the clitoria in the greenhouse though. I broke the first
one that popped out, really pistmeov. But anyways, Happy Spring, Cass.

And it's going to be an early one here. Safrano is already covered, as
much as it ever does, along with Fortune's Double Yellow. Making that
pilgrimage to the Vintage Gardens FDY today, might ask to steal a
cutting because theirs is better and different from mine,
http://home.earthlink.net/%7Ecbernst...AY/26Mar03.jpg
Old 27-03-2003, 04:56 PM
Radika Kesavan

lms wrote:

nooooooooope, that's a swamp thing.

Hello, Desert Fox. A voice that I am very glad to hear. The day
brightens. Despite.

--
Radika
California

Old 27-03-2003, 05:56 PM
Radika Kesavan

lms wrote:
... Fire Meidelland. That oughta do me.

Fire Engine Red, some people say. You just got me started on this one
now. The Star Roses sites has a rather dark picture, but all the
descriptions sound pretty neat. Hmmm ...

From where are you getting this?

And also, why aren't you getting Fuschia Meidiland? It is darn pretty -
and since it is mauve, you can call it a coffee rose, no?

I want them both, I think. Better than grwoing miniatures ...

--
Radika
California

Old 27-03-2003, 05:56 PM
Radika Kesavan

lms wrote:
... Fire Meidelland. That oughta do me.

Fire Engine Red, some people say. You just got me started on this one
now. The Star Roses sites has a rather dark picture, but all the
descriptions sound pretty neat. Hmmm ...

From where are you getting this?

And also, why aren't you getting Fuschia Meidiland? It is darn pretty -
and since it is mauve, you can call it a coffee rose, no?

I want them both, I think. Better than growing miniatures ...

--
Radika
California

Albuquerque John DeBoo Gardening 0 23-07-2003 03:22 AM
Albuquerque John S. DeBoo Gardening 0 01-06-2003 04:32 AM
Albuquerque ponders John Rutz Ponds 1 21-04-2003 01:08 AM
Colour of roses best roses for Albuquerque, NM Radika Kesavan Roses 18 05-04-2003 12:20 AM
urban renewal (Was: best roses for Albuquerque, NM) Regina Roses 4 02-04-2003 03:08 AM