Old 29-03-2003, 03:56 AM
Enterprise

Default Rosehips

I have been told that a Rosehip plant is a Rosa Rugosa or Rosa Canina.
I looked at various pictures online and Canina looks like to me what
I'm looking for. In europe they make tea from Rosehips...

How can I obtain plants that I could plant? I'm in Indiana.

Thanks
Old 29-03-2003, 04:56 AM
Cass

In article ,
Enterprise wrote:

I have been told that a Rosehip plant is a Rosa Rugosa or Rosa Canina.
I looked at various pictures online and Canina looks like to me what
I'm looking for. In europe they make tea from Rosehips...

How can I obtain plants that I could plant? I'm in Indiana.

Actually, lots of roses produce rose hips, but they don't all taste
good. Angel Face, Dortmund and Bonica all have hips that taste good. If
you really want them for food, look for roses that set nice big hips
because seeding them is a lot of work. Some rugosas are known for their
attractive hips, but I can't help you with their flavor. Here's an
interesting site in Indiana:

http://indianspringherbs.com/rosehips.htm
Old 30-03-2003, 02:32 AM
Shiva

Enterprise wrote:

I have been told that a Rosehip plant is a Rosa Rugosa or Rosa Canina.
I looked at various pictures online and Canina looks like to me what
I'm looking for. In europe they make tea from Rosehips...

They do here too. The good news is, they are full of complete C compex,
including hesperidin, rutin, and bioflavinoids. [Sp.] This site:

http://www.bbg.org/gar2/topics/kitchen/2000fa_rose.html

is wonderful and suggests that the plumper the hips, the sweeter. Hansa
and Altissimo are mentioned as tasty. In my garden, the fabulous red
climber Don Juan and the white climber Sombrueil make loads of big, fat,
red hips in the fall.

How can I obtain plants that I could plant? I'm in Indiana.

You can get any of the above plants practically anywhere. They will be
potted up in your garden centers soon. Have fun!

Thanks

Old 30-03-2003, 02:32 AM
Radika Kesavan

Enterprise wrote:
I have been told that a Rosehip plant is a Rosa Rugosa or Rosa Canina.
I looked at various pictures online and Canina looks like to me what
I'm looking for. In europe they make tea from Rosehips...

How can I obtain plants that I could plant? I'm in Indiana.

Thanks

The traditional Rosehip Oil is from the hips of Rosa rubiginosa aka Rosa
Mosquita aka Rosa eglanteria aka Sweetbriar Rose:

http://www.botanical.com/products/le...e/rosehip.html
http://www.florahealth.com/flora/hom...RosehipOil.asp
http://hortiplex.gardenweb.com/plants/p1/gw1034984.html

Dave here had beautiful pictures of a Sweetbriar Rose plant that he
grows, ad IIRC, Dave lives in Tennessee - may be he will tell us where
he got his rose from; Dave?

In the meanwhile, this company offers seeds of R. eglanteria:

http://www.trees-seeds.com/seeds.htm

Here is a link that contains links to who might sell this rose:

http://www.helpmefind.com/sites/rrr/pl.php?n=11825

Of the top of my head, I would recommend Amity Heritage Roses from that
list, but you might prefer a nursery which is in your geographic area.

--
Radika
California