Old 30-03-2003, 06:44 PM
Cherylmdsharp

Default Planting Roses

I am planting 12 roses on a prepared patch of ground. I have heard that if I
leave the in the pots but cut the bottom out of the pots to give the roots
freedom it will be OK. The reason for this is that the ground is being covered
with an organic weed depressent and then covered in gravel. This give acess
for us to feed the roses but control the weeds They are bush rose bought this
year. Thanks.
Old 30-03-2003, 06:56 PM
Shiva

From: "Cherylmdsharp"

I am planting 12 roses on a prepared patch of ground. I have heard that

if I leave the in the pots but cut the bottom out of the pots to give the
roots freedom it will be OK. The reason for this is that the ground is
being covered with an organic weed depressent and then covered in gravel.
This give acess for us to feed the roses but control the weeds.

I would reconsider the gravel. Mulch would do the same thing (e.g.
suppress weeds) while adding needed organic material to your soil. Roses
are heavy feeders, and will not do well with just a water
soluable "MiracleGro" type food. Your roses need organic material to
thrive--and they need space to spread out. Not to mention the fact that
the gravel will be ugly, ugly, ugly, and damned near impossible to remove.
All in all, the pots and the gravel are bad ideas. Plant your roses
properly, in at least 2 ft by 2 ft holes, and mulch them with hardwood
bark, four inches or so, keeping it away from the base of the rose. Or--
leave them in pots and enjoy your gravel driveway or whatever it will be.

Old 31-03-2003, 11:32 AM
Regina

Cherylmdsharp wrote:

I am planting 12 roses on a prepared patch of ground. I have heard that if I
leave the in the pots but cut the bottom out of the pots to give the roots
freedom it will be OK.

Cheryl, in a couple of places where I have creeping weeds (Mexican
primrose), I have cut the bottom out of the five gallon pot and then
planted the whole thing. The rose grows just the same as if it was
planted normally.

Regina