Old 22-02-2006, 07:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default Knock-Out Rose question

Last fall I pruned my knock-out roses to about 3 inches above the
graft. I noticed brown core in the center of one of the thickest canes.
I cut it back further to see if it cleared and it did. Is this normal?
What is it?

Old 22-02-2006, 11:47 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran

wrote in message
oups.com...
Last fall I pruned my knock-out roses to about 3 inches above the
graft. I noticed brown core in the center of one of the thickest canes.
I cut it back further to see if it cleared and it did. Is this normal?
What is it?

Dieback. Rose canes look like that when they
become weak and/or die. Best to prune back to
white/cream center (called "pith") where you know
it is healthy, which is apparently what you did.

I don't have a Knockout rose but 3" seems to
me to be rather severe pruning for anything
other than a mini.

I googled pruning Knockout and found one
site that recommended no pruning for the
first two years, then remove one third of
the oldest canes each year.
http://www.bloomindesigns.com/c=lKJY....pruningroses/

If the whole link won't work, try going to
www.bloomindesigns.com and then searching
on Knockout rose.

That recommendation suggests to me that
you don't need to do a severe pruning of
all the canes, as you did. But Knockout sounds
like a really hardy rose and yours will probably
do ok.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 23-02-2006, 04:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thank you Gail. I did not know all this info about roses existed. One
big reason I prune so severely is we live on a windy ridge. The first
year it go so windy that at the base of each cane there was about an
inch of air before the dirt began, I think this would cause forst and
ice to get into the roots.

Roses are pretty sturdy once established. I guess
it depends on how long your roses have been
in the ground and what kind of soil you have.

That said, I'm not sure what you mean by "an
inch of air before the dirt began". If you mean
that the rootstock below the bud union was
exposed about an inch down, you can pile up
some dirt to the base of the bud union (graft).

Maybe I'll cut less and then stake a burlap "house" around them each
fall?

That might work. You could check out the
American Rose Society www.ars.org They
have articles on winterizing roses. The
articles are in a public area so you don't have
to be a member to access them. I live in an
area that seldom gets winter so I have very
little experience with winterizing.

I like to recommend the Ortho and Sunset books
on gardening. They're relatively cheap (about $15,
I think), are well written and well illustrated. Good
basic advice.

Welcome to the addictive world of roses!

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 23-02-2006, 05:02 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

No, I mean that the wind was whipping the canes so severely the soil
around the cane was recedeing, exposing the the cane portion below the
surface to the elements. This is exactly the same way people's gum
recede in their mouths due to grinding teeth while sleeping.

Old 23-02-2006, 07:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran

wrote in message
oups.com...
No, I mean that the wind was whipping the canes so severely the soil
around the cane was recedeing, exposing the the cane portion below the
surface to the elements. This is exactly the same way people's gum
recede in their mouths due to grinding teeth while sleeping.

Whoa, that is some wind! Perhaps adding some
kind of barrier is a good idea, as you mentioned.

Gail

Old 25-02-2006, 11:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Anne Lurie

Wow! I am new to roses, but I think mulch can only help this situation --
even if it does not cover the base of the canes, maybe it would help keep
moisture in when you water.

Are you sure it is wind that is "de-soiling" your roses? Could soil be
washing away when it rains?

It might be helpful if you tell us where you a what country, what
gardening "zone."

Anne

oups.com...

Old 28-02-2006, 01:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

I am in Maryland. I am positive that the wind is the guilty party. I am
glad that I posted because I did not know I was not really supposed to
cut roses to the knot each fall.

Old 28-02-2006, 02:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran

wrote in message
ups.com...
I am in Maryland. I am positive that the wind is the guilty party. I am
glad that I posted because I did not know I was not really supposed to
cut roses to the knot each fall.

When we moved into our present house about
12 years ago, there were some rose bushes
against a chain link fence. My husband pruned
them according to some information he found
about pruning Hybrid Teas. Unfortunately
they are climbers. Needless to say, they
never quite recovered *as* climbers, but they
still have nice blooms (Cl. America).

I made some really dumb mistakes early in my
rose gardening experience, and lost a bunch of
roses. Live and learn!

If you didn't actually prune the entire top part of
the shrub (called the "scion"), your roses will
probably recover. Watch for canes that grow out
from *below* the bud union (what you call the
knot). Those canes are from the rootstock and
are not desirable. Cut them all the way back to
the root if they do grow, otherwise they will take
over your bush. You might not get canes from
below the knot, so don't worry if you don't.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 28-02-2006, 03:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

I have a climber too, "Forth of July" but I did not cut this nearly so
low, left about 3" above the knot. I planted it last summer but had a
lot of troubles with rabbits eating the leaves, so I put 3 foot high
chicken wire around them. The roses took a lot to recover from the
rabbits and whatever did bloom was hidden by the fence. Bummer. I like
the roses they look nice all summer. I just need to learn and read
more.

Old 28-02-2006, 04:41 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a climber too, "Forth of July" but I did not cut this nearly so
low, left about 3" above the knot. I planted it last summer but had a
lot of troubles with rabbits eating the leaves, so I put 3 foot high
chicken wire around them. The roses took a lot to recover from the
rabbits and whatever did bloom was hidden by the fence. Bummer. I like
the roses they look nice all summer. I just need to learn and read
more.

I've had rabbits go after some roses and ignore
others. I'm on my third copy of a Bourbon (old
garden rose) called Souvenir de la Malmaison.
The first two copies were eaten by rabbits, which
left the other roses in the same bed alone. Finally
I did as you did, put a chicken wire fence around
it and left it for two years. Now it's doing fine,
even without the rabbit barrier.

If your Fourth of July climber recovers from
the severe pruning it should be ok (rabbit proof)
once it gets bigger.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 01-03-2006, 05:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Gail,
Thanks for the advice. Do you have any plans for a trelice to tie my
Forth of July too?

Old 02-03-2006, 12:57 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran

wrote in message
oups.com...
Gail,
Thanks for the advice. Do you have any plans for a trelice to tie my
Forth of July too?

Someone who used to post here regularly
recommended trellises made of re-bar.
If you google re-bar or rebar rose trellis
you'll find a whole bunch of information on
trellises made out of different kinds of metal.

I have a handy husband who builds arbors
and other supports out of wood for my
roses.

Gail