Old 03-04-2003, 11:32 PM
JimS.

Default for Shiva - replacements for Mr. L (?)

"Shiva" wrote in message
news:aHlwYXRpYQ==.1c97c91029d8de795d8a9ec2569729ab @1049406664.cotse.net...
torgo wrote, among other things to be addressed after dinner:

Oh, the Kentucky Derby is certainly worth growing. I can see that
much already. And the fragrance is quite pleasant. It's just that
you have to bury your face in it to smell it.

I took a few pics of its first bloom. Now I'll just have to figure
out how to get the pics on the web...

If you send me the photos at , I will post them for you.
Cotse lets me have some web space, so that I can upload photos and then
post them as a URL to Usenet. I would be happy to help, and this way I can
see what KD looks like!

I have Kentuck Derby too. I'll take some photos and email them to you when
mine blooms. Of course, considering how long it'll be before things warm up
around here, we could all be dead by then..... but the bush itself has
leafed out nicely already, so who knows?

My KD is a nice, deap, rich red color. The plant is pretty prone to
blackspot around here, but the blooms are really nice. Based on what I know
about Mr. Lincoln, I'd agree that it's a nice replacement for that--though I
just planted my Mr. L bareroot about 2 months ago, so I don't know for sure.
Haven't seen mine bloom yet.

JimS.
Seattle

Old 04-04-2003, 07:44 AM
torgo

On Thu, 3 Apr 2003 16:51:04 -0500 (EST), "Shiva"
wrote:

torgo wrote, among other things to be addressed after dinner:

Oh, the Kentucky Derby is certainly worth growing. I can see that
much already. And the fragrance is quite pleasant. It's just that
you have to bury your face in it to smell it.

I took a few pics of its first bloom. Now I'll just have to figure
out how to get the pics on the web...

If you send me the photos at , I will post them for you.
Cotse lets me have some web space, so that I can upload photos and then
post them as a URL to Usenet. I would be happy to help, and this way I can
see what KD looks like!

Thanks ! I think I've got it. Pics of the Derby, Double Delight, my
super-fragrant Christian Dior (that I'm trying to find a source to
match) and a few others are here....

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/bgs12345/...src=ph&.view=t

I threw in the walkway shot just to show the fence in the background.
That small (2-foot) strip behind the driveway and in front of the
fence has become my test bed for about 25 various hybrid teas.
Old 07-04-2003, 10:20 PM
Daniel Hanna

In vy2ja.317234$3D1.174076@sccrnsc01 JimS. wrote:
My KD is a nice, deap, rich red color. The plant is pretty prone to
blackspot around here, but the blooms are really nice. Based on what
I know about Mr. Lincoln, I'd agree that it's a nice replacement for
that--though I just planted my Mr. L bareroot about 2 months ago, so I
don't know for sure. Haven't seen mine bloom yet.

The only rose I've grown to top Mr Lincoln and Kentucky Derby for size,
scent and flower form is La Passionata. It's absolutely superb in every
way. LP has the largest and most beautifully formed rose blooms of any
that I grow. And I've tried plenty of reds!
Old 08-04-2003, 12:20 AM
torgo

On 07 Apr 2003 21:13:37 GMT, Daniel Hanna
wrote:

The only rose I've grown to top Mr Lincoln and Kentucky Derby for size,
scent and flower form is La Passionata. It's absolutely superb in every
way. LP has the largest and most beautifully formed rose blooms of any
that I grow. And I've tried plenty of reds!

Sounds terrific! Where can we find this beauty?

Old 08-04-2003, 03:56 PM
Daniel Hanna

In torgo wrote:
Sounds terrific! Where can we find this beauty?

The helpmefind link is:
http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=15453

A better photo and sales are available at:
http://www.treloar-roses.com.au/files/la_passionata.htm

It's a French bred rose by Delbard. Not sure whether you can still get
it in the US (if that's where you're posting from). Fortunately (for me!)
the Australian nurseries tend to treasure the real gems like this one.

The Treloar description of La Passionata is correct. The blooms really
are 6" to 8" across. I'm getting 7" from my potted specimen at the
moment!

Old 09-04-2003, 10:08 AM
torgo

Alas, I had already found both of these sites, and unfortunately
Treloar won't ship overseas. Bummer...

I guess when I head up to Ashdown, I'll have to have a little chat
with Paul about this one.

On 08 Apr 2003 14:33:12 GMT, Daniel Hanna
wrote:

In torgo wrote:
Sounds terrific! Where can we find this beauty?

The helpmefind link is:
http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/pl.php?n=15453

A better photo and sales are available at:
http://www.treloar-roses.com.au/files/la_passionata.htm

It's a French bred rose by Delbard. Not sure whether you can still get
it in the US (if that's where you're posting from). Fortunately (for me!)
the Australian nurseries tend to treasure the real gems like this one.

The Treloar description of La Passionata is correct. The blooms really
are 6" to 8" across. I'm getting 7" from my potted specimen at the
moment!

Diazinon replacements...not! germ Gardening 30 12-07-2004 06:02 AM
No rose pictures for Shiva elfa Roses 8 10-07-2003 04:20 AM
Attn: Allegra No rose pictures for Shiva elfa Roses 1 09-07-2003 07:32 PM
OT Yippee! Thanks Shiva! Julie Roses 1 05-02-2003 09:54 PM
Shiva - AZ new grower Darlene Roses 1 29-01-2003 03:34 PM