Old 02-04-2003, 06:44 PM
Shiva

Default Finally, the bareroot bloomed

"Emil" said:

[...] Moonshadow

http://www.dslextreme.com/users/epal...s/Rose%201.jpg

http://www.dslextreme.com/users/epal...s/rose%202.jpg

Ooo, this is really pretty. I looked at it last fall and decided on other
mauves instead, now I wish I'd chosen Moonshadow! Tell us, is there a
fragrance at this point??

Old 03-04-2003, 05:44 AM
Emil

"Shiva" wrote in message
news:aHlwYXRpYQ==.0b6f53bc388d6067162cf0deb5ef20b9 @1049303790.cotse.net...

"Emil" said:

[...] Moonshadow

http://www.dslextreme.com/users/epal...s/Rose%201.jpg

http://www.dslextreme.com/users/epal...s/rose%202.jpg

Ooo, this is really pretty. I looked at it last fall and decided on other
mauves instead, now I wish I'd chosen Moonshadow! Tell us, is there a
fragrance at this point??

Shiva and Radika,

Yes, there is a great fragrance. How can I explain it, it's like a deep
perfume smell. Smells pretty good. Do you guys think the rose will get
"bigger" in a year or two?

Thanks,
Emil

Old 03-04-2003, 05:56 AM
Radika Kesavan

Emil wrote:
"Shiva" wrote in message
news:aHlwYXRpYQ==.0b6f53bc388d6067162cf0deb5ef20b9 @1049303790.cotse.net...

"Emil" said:

[...] Moonshadow

Shiva and Radika,

Yes, there is a great fragrance. How can I explain it, it's like a
deep perfume smell. Smells pretty good.

Wonderful! I will have to see if I ought to consider replacing that weak
Sonia Rykiel with Moonshadow; OTOH, SR is suddenly improving in her
performance, may be she heard me threatening her very existence in our
garden.

Do you guys think the rose will get "bigger" in a year or two?

Without a doubt; all those Rosa gigantea genes present in HTs will kick
in, for sure ;-).

--
Radika
California

Old 03-04-2003, 09:44 PM
Shiva

Emil wrote:

Yes, there is a great fragrance. How can I explain it, it's like a deep
perfume smell. Smells pretty good. Do you guys think the rose will get
"bigger" in a year or two?

You bet, Emil! At about the third year you will have a feeling of great
satisfaction when you look at your established roses. Don't be too prune
happy in the spring--just cut off what looks diseased, and maybe a bit to
open up the middle so air will flow, preventing conditions ideal ofr fungal
disease--and maybe trim to shape a little. This way your roses get nice and
big pretty fast, and you get to see how the rose "wants" to grow--how big,
its natural shape, etc. In this case, patience is a virtue. And water,
water, water! As long as it drains, give them 3 times what you think you
should and they will reward you.

Thanks,
Emil

Old 04-04-2003, 03:08 AM
Emil

"Shiva" wrote in message
news:aHlwYXRpYQ==.41a68c82c26a31acfbe8d8939d496415 @1049401945.cotse.net...
Emil wrote:

Yes, there is a great fragrance. How can I explain it, it's like a deep
perfume smell. Smells pretty good. Do you guys think the rose will get
"bigger" in a year or two?

You bet, Emil! At about the third year you will have a feeling of great
satisfaction when you look at your established roses. Don't be too prune
happy in the spring--just cut off what looks diseased, and maybe a bit to
open up the middle so air will flow, preventing conditions ideal ofr

fungal
disease--and maybe trim to shape a little. This way your roses get nice

and
big pretty fast, and you get to see how the rose "wants" to grow--how big,
its natural shape, etc. In this case, patience is a virtue. And water,
water, water! As long as it drains, give them 3 times what you think you
should and they will reward you.

Then I can't wait for 3 years to go by! I am watering them almost everyday.
One more question guys, I'll start a new thread if I have to..
But one of the bareroots I planted at the same time, the "Brandy" rose, it
hasn't grown as fast as these other 3 bareroots. Could it be the nature of
the rose? I should just give it time, that kind of thing?

Thanks,
Emil

Old 04-04-2003, 03:32 AM
JimS.

"Emil" wrote in message

edit

One more question guys, I'll start a new thread if I have to..
But one of the bareroots I planted at the same time, the "Brandy" rose, it
hasn't grown as fast as these other 3 bareroots. Could it be the nature of
the rose? I should just give it time, that kind of thing?

Thanks,
Emil

Absolutely, YES, it can be the nature of the rose(s). You will soon find
that some of your roses grow fast, and some grow slower. That's just they
way they are. But just like the good daddy you are, you love them all just
alike

JimS.
Seattle

Old 04-04-2003, 05:08 AM
Emil

"JimS." wrote in message
.net...

"Emil" wrote in message

edit

One more question guys, I'll start a new thread if I have to..
But one of the bareroots I planted at the same time, the "Brandy" rose,

it
hasn't grown as fast as these other 3 bareroots. Could it be the nature

of
the rose? I should just give it time, that kind of thing?

Thanks,
Emil

Absolutely, YES, it can be the nature of the rose(s). You will soon find
that some of your roses grow fast, and some grow slower. That's just they
way they are. But just like the good daddy you are, you love them all

just
alike

JimS.
Seattle

Thanks for the advice Jim! I really can't wait for the next 2 to bloom. 1
being the new J&P rose "Tigress" and the other being the mentioned "Brandy."

Emil :-)