GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Pepper cat repellent? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/roses/12919-pepper-cat-repellent.html)

Susan Solomon 04-04-2003 05:32 AM

Pepper cat repellent?

Well, that's it. No pre-emergent after all. I've gardened 30 years without
it, and I guess I can go another 20 or so. My 2 "boys", old neutered
tomcats, follow me everywhere around our back yard; they love to watch me
weed and hoe my flowers, and I don't want anything to happen to them. I'll
just assume that the emerging weeds will die of suffocation and frustration
under the newspapers and mulch - and keep my hoe handy!

Unfortunately, my cats will see the bark mulch as one big kitty litter box.
Does anyone know if putting red or black pepper on the bark will repel cats?
It seems rather benign and inexpensive ...

Thanks to all of the group who responded! I learned a lot!!
Sue in SoCal

"Allegra" wrote in message

"Huskies4all" wrote in message
. ..
In article ,
says...
splinters from bark dust into her tiny paws. As a result I have never

had to
worry about the effect of the pre-emergent weed killer on them. I

guess
dogs
have stronger skin or something like that since they don't seem to

mind
walking over bark or even hot asphalt at times.

I'll jump right in here with a timely piece of information. I'm a
Certified Veterinary Technician, and this week we treated a cat for
exposure to a weed killer that contained Glyphosate (sp?)

Talk about one SICK cat. She was completely listless, couldn't keep any
food down for a couple of days, which in cats, can be a BIG problem.

SO,
I wouldn't recommend putting anything on that a cat could get into
contact with.

Dogs are more resistant, cats are sensitive to EVERYTHING, they can't
even take aspirin. However, I'd still be hesitant to use it if a dog
might get into it.

CJ

PS, the cat's fine, went home yesterday after 2 days in the hospital.

Hello CJ

According to the EPA these are the trade names of the products using
Glyphosate.

Glialka
Roundup
Sting
Rodeo
Spasor
Muster
Tumbleweed
Sonic
Glifonox
Glycel
Rondo

You may want to go to
http://www.epa.gov/OGWDW/dwh/c-soc/glyphosa.html
and look there for more info if you think it will help you when you advise
your
patients.

How was the cat exposed to it, by the way? Ate it, walked in fresh exposed
area,
was it an outside cat? There are so many factors here to be considered,

but
the most
important one is that I know of not a single pre-emergent weed killer that
has any form
of Glyphosate in its formula. At least none of the ones we have used or

use
presently.

For more information you can go to
http://www.scotts.com/growMag/2003Ma...ntrol_zone.htm

where a master gardener explains the uses and how to of pre-emergent weed
killers.

I do not believe that animals should be allowed to roam the gardens while
one is engaged
in either planting or spraying. We have been very careful to spray always

at
dusk, downwind,
and preferably after we know given their almost recognizable schedule for
instance with
our hummingbirds, when they are not to return for the day at our home to
feed. Then and
only then BH has gone out properly suited to spray. We have never had a
problem with
either our dogs or our cats. But I believe these to be personal choices
which in no way
should be interpreted to be a criticism or a reproach to any pet owner.

However since you refer to Glyphosate I thought I must bring up the

subject
once again that pre-emergent weed killers and "regular" weed killers are

not
one and the same. And good for the kitty and shame to the parents that
allowed her/him to be exposed to a pesticide.

Allegra

Allegra 07-04-2003 10:20 PM

Pepper cat repellent?

"Susan Solomon" wrote in response to the suggestion that she may want
to use preemergent weed killer on her beds:

Well, that's it. No pre-emergent after all. I've gardened 30 years without
it, and I guess I can go another 20 or so. My 2 "boys", old neutered
tomcats, follow me everywhere around our back yard; they love to watch me
weed and hoe my flowers, and I don't want anything to happen to them. I'll
just assume that the emerging weeds will die of suffocation and frustration
under the newspapers and mulch - and keep my hoe handy!

Hello Susan,

With all due respect to your choice, there is something that
must be clarified so others will understand that preemergent
weed killer presents no danger to either your pets or children:

In their faqs there is question number 23:

When can children &/or pets play around/in areas treated with Preen?

Children &/or pets can go in a treated area after Preen was applied
according to label directions, dusts have settled from application,
watering-in and/or rain has occurred and area has thoroughly dried.

So that there is no confusion as to why I would want to suggest
something that may harm either pets or children.

Allegra

Shiva 07-04-2003 11:08 PM

Pepper cat repellent?

On Fri, 04 Apr 2003 04:21:02 GMT, "Susan Solomon"
wrote:

Unfortunately, my cats will see the bark mulch as one big kitty litter box.
Does anyone know if putting red or black pepper on the bark will repel cats?
It seems rather benign and inexpensive ...

Susan--I feel certain that ground cayenne moderately applied from time
to time would repel your kitties, just as soon as they had a bath
after walking through the bed. And it cannot hurt your roses.

Susan Solomon 07-04-2003 11:20 PM

Pepper cat repellent?

Allegra, thank you for your clarification. And thank you again for your
suggestions for making "lasagne"!
This is really a great place to get information about growing roses!
Sue in SoCal

.net...

Huskies4all 08-04-2003 03:08 AM

Pepper cat repellent?

In article m,
says...
Susan--I feel certain that ground cayenne moderately applied from time
to time would repel your kitties, just as soon as they had a bath
after walking through the bed. And it cannot hurt your roses.

The only way the cayanne or other pepper would repel them is by the
smell. The cat's won't associate a burning mouth with the act of going
in the bed where the pepper is.

I know farm/feed stores sometimes have cat/dog repellent...the only
drawback is that it smells BAD.

CJ

Shiva 08-04-2003 03:20 AM

Pepper cat repellent?

On Mon, 7 Apr 2003 19:54:44 -0600, Huskies4all
wrote:

The only way the cayanne or other pepper would repel them is by the
smell. The cat's won't associate a burning mouth with the act of going
in the bed where the pepper is.

I know you base this on your work at the vets--but what specifically?
My cats have always been able to recognize paired stimuli. But most
importantly--do you think the smell of the cayenne would repel a cat?
It doesn't seem like it. But maybe. I know it makes other creatures
like possums and raccoons sneeze and leave a nest if you sprinkle it
there.

Huskies4all 10-04-2003 04:20 PM

Pepper cat repellent?

In article m,
says...
wrote:

The only way the cayanne or other pepper would repel them is by the
smell. The cat's won't associate a burning mouth with the act of going
in the bed where the pepper is.

I know you base this on your work at the vets--but what specifically?

Animals just don't have the cognitive ability to make such connections.
The example I use a lot is the dog that acts like it's "in trouble" when
it knocks over the trash. The dog has no clue that the ACT of knocking
over the trash is what is the problem, it just knows that trashcan on the
floor = unhappy owner. This is why timing is so essential in behavior
modification.

The cats might associate the smell of the cayanne with a burning mouth,
but can't make the leap that if they'll stay out of the flowerbed, they
won't have a burning mouth.

importantly--do you think the smell of the cayenne would repel a cat?

I am not sure. Their sense of smell is so much better than ours, but I
don't know if the smell of the cayenne would be enough to make them avoid
the flowerbed.

CJ

Pat and Ash 22-04-2003 04:08 AM

Pepper cat repellent?

Huskies4all wrote:

I am not sure. Their sense of smell is so much better than ours, but I
don't know if the smell of the cayenne would be enough to make them avoid
the flowerbed.

CJ

Maybe try blood meal. If I recall correctly, that stuff smells like wet
dog.
Surely that will discourage cats :-D
....pat.

--