Old 05-04-2003, 01:44 AM
Bob Bauer

Default Simple Color Management for Rose Lovers with photoshop

Cass said:

This cheers me up, thanks, Radika. I'm endlessly critical. I finally
figured out that I need to DL the raw files and not tweak them even a
bit because I learn little by llittle how best to use Photoshop.

Hi Cass,

You can tweak to your hearts content by doing a few simple things.

For web publishing, you should use the 'color space' in photoshop
called sRGB.

This shrinks the color space of the files and makes for colors that
are able to be viewed similarly on most monitors.

In Photoshop go to:

EditColor Settings

Then under Working spaces go to the RGB dropdown menu and select

sRGB

(It will have a number after it that is the version standard that it
used)

Then click OK.

Additionally you can also standardize your monitor colors with a
utility program called Adobe Gamma. This program is loaded onto your
computer when you loaded photoshop.

In Windows, start Adobe Gamma, located in the Control Panels folder
In Mac OS, from the Apple menu, choose Control Panels Adobe Gamma.

When it launches, load the same color profile as you picked for your
working space above. The default is sRGB. You can follow the simple
instructions to correct the colors, contrast etc of your monitor.

With these simple tools you should be able to make your photos appear
the same to others as they do to you.

Have fun,

Bob Bauer

Old 05-04-2003, 04:44 AM
Cass

In article , Bob Bauer
wrote:

Cass said:

This cheers me up, thanks, Radika. I'm endlessly critical. I finally
figured out that I need to DL the raw files and not tweak them even a
bit because I learn little by llittle how best to use Photoshop.

Hi Cass,

You can tweak to your hearts content by doing a few simple things.

What I mean is that I need to DL the data and store it as data without
tweaking in my archives. I can also saved the tweaked jpegs, but as my
skills improve, I can produce better looking tweaked images, even from
the same raw data.

For web publishing, you should use the 'color space' in photoshop
called sRGB.

Already done.

This shrinks the color space of the files and makes for colors that
are able to be viewed similarly on most monitors.

Additionally you can also standardize your monitor colors with a
utility program called Adobe Gamma. This program is loaded onto your
computer when you loaded photoshop.

In Windows, start Adobe Gamma, located in the Control Panels folder
In Mac OS, from the Apple menu, choose Control Panels Adobe Gamma.

And in Mac OS X, you use the built in System preferences to calibrate.

When it launches, load the same color profile as you picked for your
working space above. The default is sRGB. You can follow the simple
instructions to correct the colors, contrast etc of your monitor.

Yeah, you'd think, but the choices a

Adobe RGB (1998)
Apple RGB
Color LCD (which is what I have but not how I calibrate)
sRGBIEC61966-2.1
sRGB Profile

Since I can embed an sRGB IEC 1966-2.1 color profile in my jpegs, seems
to make sense that is the one I should use for my monitor, no?

With these simple tools you should be able to make your photos appear
the same to others as they do to you.

You got me looking at something just as basic: when I compress files,
I've been using a single button for Save for web. That clearly doesn't
embed the sRGB profile. Once I embed that profile, then Eugene looks
the same on Photoshop (I have the training wheels version Elements,
which is more than enough for my needs) and on all my browsers. Bravo!

So let's see if that makes me happier. And you can tell me if colors
look nuanced to you. Thanks, Bob. I got somewhere, even if it wasn't
where you thought I needed to go. Like herding cats.

Speaking of nuanced, Looping has gawjus buds that open very slowly in
the nicest orange sherbet color. I'll disbud from now on, promise, but
I couldn't resist.
Old 05-04-2003, 08:56 AM
Bob Bauer

Cass:

sRGB IEC61966-2.1

Use this one as BOTH your photoshop working space and your monitor
gamma and you won't go wrong.

Bob

Old 05-04-2003, 09:08 AM
Bob Bauer

Cass said:

I've been using a single button for Save for web.

One more thing: I would HIGHLY recommend that you not use the 'Save
for Web' feature, as it can reduce the color pallette dramatically.

Instead, after sizing the photo for the web (using ImageImage Size,
72 dpi by whatever dimension), just do a regular 'Save As' and then
select jpg (Isuggest level 6)

When you have sRGB as your normal Photoshop working space you don't
have to worry about anything else.

Bob

Old 05-04-2003, 05:56 PM
Cass

Bob Bauer wrote:

Cass said:

I've been using a single button for Save for web.

One more thing: I would HIGHLY recommend that you not use the 'Save
for Web' feature, as it can reduce the color pallette dramatically.

Sure does. With a big batch of thumbnails, it's nice to speed things
up. But I used to resize all my images manually with pretty good
results.

Instead, after sizing the photo for the web (using ImageImage Size,
72 dpi by whatever dimension), just do a regular 'Save As' and then
select jpg (Isuggest level 6)

When you have sRGB as your normal Photoshop working space you don't
have to worry about anything else.

Thanks, Bob. Ya da best. We'll see how it works.