Old 02-03-2006, 12:01 AM
Registered User

Smile Help with Miniature Roses

hi everyone i was wondering if anyone here has kept miniature roses in thier house--over a few winter months--until they could plant them outside.
i bought a couple of miniature rose bushes to put outside come the nicer weather in may. i was wondering if anyone could give me any information on the what to do with these little beauties not only while i have them inside but after i plant them as well i have never grown roses before.
any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks you. sockiescat.
Old 02-03-2006, 09:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran

Default Help with Miniature Roses

--
sockiescat

It helps to know where you are. "Winter"
where I am was over ... um, around 1965.
Where my sister lives "summer" occurs briefly
during August. Location makes a difference.

Roses really shouldn't be indoors.
Can you put them outside in a protected
area, like near the house? Minis, especially,
are cold tolerant. As long as the soil in
the pots doesn't get dry, they should be
ok until you can plant them.

Meanwhile check out the articles at
the American Rose Society:
www.ars.org

There are several articles on miniature roses.

Gail
near San Antonio TX USA Zone 8

Old 03-03-2006, 09:17 PM
Registered User

Smile

Gail Futoran "sockiescat" wrote in message

[...]

hi gail im from southwestern, ontario, canada not far from london and stratford area. we have winter right now so cant put them outside wish i could poor little things are starting to turn yellow on the leaves i am keeping them well watered with lots of sunlight but as u say i think they are better outside than in. they are really pretty i havent seen this colour before kind of a burgundy rose colour so decided to take a chance and keep them inside. all i can say is hurry up spring lol. thanks for the link i sure will check it out any help is wonderful . thanks again cyaaa, sockiescat.
Old 04-03-2006, 07:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran

"sockiescat" wrote in message

hi gail im from southwestern, ontario, canada not far from london and
stratford area. we have winter right now so cant put them outside wish
i could poor little things are starting to turn yellow on the leaves

That could just be natural leaf death. My minis
(all planted outside) will get yellow leaves, too.
As long as you're getting some new leaf growth
they should be ok.

am keeping them well watered with lots of sunlight but as u say i think
they are better outside than in. they are really pretty i havent seen
this colour before kind of a burgundy rose colour so decided to take a
chance and keep them inside. all i can say is hurry up spring lol.
thanks for the link i sure will check it out any help is wonderful .
thanks again cyaaa, sockiescat.

Do you have this link?
http://www.canadianrosesociety.org/
That might be more helpful to you than the ARS
link, although the general information is
mostly the same.

--
sockiescat

It sounds like your mini roses are doing well.
Since you intend to plant them outside,
I'd say keep doing what you're doing
until spring. Good luck!

Old 05-03-2006, 08:01 AM
Registered User

[...]

thanks again gail. no i didnt have that link either, but i went there right away to take a peek around, as well i checked out a fair bit of the other link that u gave me. thanks again for all your help it would be nice if others responded as well but i guess they might only have time to read and not respond lol.
thanks again for all your help its greatly appreciated believe me.
cyaaaaa, sockiescat.

Old 05-03-2006, 06:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran

"sockiescat" wrote in message

thanks again gail. no i didnt have that link either, but i went there
right away to take a peek around, as well i checked out a fair bit of
the other link that u gave me. thanks again for all your help it would
be nice if others responded as well but i guess they might only have
time to read and not respond lol.
thanks again for all your help its greatly appreciated believe me.
cyaaaaa, sockiescat.

Unfortunately rec.gardens.roses isn't as active
as it once was. There are garden forums where
more is going on. I think if you google "garden
forum" you can possibly locate them. I prefer
the newsgroup format which is why I tend to
hang around here.

Gail

Old 07-03-2006, 10:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
jtill

Your problem may be how long the roses were without sunlight before you
bought them! Stores will keep them till they sell and without sunlight
that is bad news. Remember that winter sun has less time and power and
signals plants to go dormant. This may be your case. I say continue to
give them sun, cut back on the water (damp, not dry), let them get cold
and wait for spring.
Haven't grown Roses, well sweetheart, what folks call thorns are really
hooks that will grab you and hold on!
Joe T
Baytown Texas.
PS; If you lose these keep the names. You can order them in the spring
from many places on the WEB.

Old 11-03-2006, 12:36 AM
Registered User

Smile

jtill Your problem may be how long the roses were without sunlight before you
bought them! Stores will keep them till they sell and without sunlight
that is bad news. Remember that winter sun has less time and power and
signals plants to go dormant. This may be your case. I say continue to
give them sun, cut back on the water (damp, not dry), let them get cold
and wait for spring.
Haven't grown Roses, well sweetheart, what folks call thorns are really
hooks that will grab you and hold on!
Joe T
Baytown Texas.
PS; If you lose these keep the names. You can order them in the spring
from many places on the WEB.

thanks everyone for your input i have been following what u all suggested and so far they are both still alive . some of the flowers and leaves are dying back but the main stems seem to be holding their own. all i can say is come on spring hurry up and get here .
joe i wish i did have the name of the roses only problem is i bought these at a little grocery store near our place and there was no name on them which really sucks .
thanks again everyone for your input its so greatly appreciated .
cyaaaa, sockiescat.

potted miniature roses Dick E. Roses 6 22-03-2011 11:09 PM
You're invited to my new Yahoo Group, "Fragrant Miniature Roses" Dan Gannon Roses 102 03-02-2011 04:45 PM
Miniature Roses quest Linda Roses 0 05-05-2003 04:56 AM
Good Lavender Miniature Roses Rose rescue Radika Kesavan Roses 7 24-03-2003 09:08 PM
Indoor Miniature Roses A Stafford Roses 2 06-02-2003 09:06 PM