Old 06-04-2003, 04:32 PM
lms

Default Climbing Peace, League Of Its Own

http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~mstephen/clipe03.jpg

Classic Hybrid Tea shape, no?

Petrock The Great once saw this rose and said it was the biggest rose he'd
ever seen, now maybe he was just humoring me, maybe he had to find at least
one thing to be impressed about his trip to Socorro, but I don't really
thinkso, I saw his eyes. the eyes don't lies.
It is a respectable unit, it's given me plenty to think about over the years,
that's what you want in a rose.

Old 06-04-2003, 05:32 PM
Cass

In article , lms
wrote:

http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~mstephen/clipe03.jpg

Classic Hybrid Tea shape, no?

Petrock The Great once saw this rose and said it was the biggest rose he'd
ever seen, now maybe he was just humoring me, maybe he had to find at least
one thing to be impressed about his trip to Socorro, but I don't really
thinkso, I saw his eyes. the eyes don't lies.
It is a respectable unit, it's given me plenty to think about over the years,
that's what you want in a rose.

Damnit, I tried to get my mom's to strike, but after month and months,
it chose to croak instead. Close to a once bloomer, but, omigod, the
blooms. I'll try again some day.
Old 08-04-2003, 03:08 PM
lms

In article ,
says...

In article , lms
wrote:

http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~mstephen/clipe03.jpg

Classic Hybrid Tea shape, no?

Petrock The Great once saw this rose and said it was the biggest rose he'd
ever seen, now maybe he was just humoring me, maybe he had to find at least
one thing to be impressed about his trip to Socorro, but I don't really
thinkso, I saw his eyes. the eyes don't lies.
It is a respectable unit, it's given me plenty to think about over the

years,
that's what you want in a rose.

Damnit, I tried to get my mom's to strike, but after month and months,
it chose to croak instead. Close to a once bloomer, but, omigod, the
blooms. I'll try again some day.

I have another one on the same front fence line but it's taken
years to approach size. It's getting there though, I thought it never would.

Old 09-04-2003, 05:08 AM
lms

In article ,
says...

lms wrote:

In article ,
says...

Damnit, I tried to get my mom's to strike, but after month and months,
it chose to croak instead. Close to a once bloomer, but, omigod, the
blooms. I'll try again some day.

I have another one on the same front fence line but it's taken
years to approach size. It's getting there though, I thought it never

would.

Cl Peace was the first rose to go into the area I laughingly call The Rose
Garden, about 14 years ago. It was the first area of decent soil I had

because
it was dumped here as fill, and most any fill is better than what I start

with.
I've used the guy wire from the phone pole to tie it to, to limit its movement
in the wind.

I like to watch it fully loaded on a gusty day, takes these deep dips, like
huge springs. It's been free-standing all its days. For the first
dozen years there was an Angel Face underneath it, that one finally gave it up
awhile back, was really a study. Those first and second year roses, I didn't
know the first gd thing about how roses grew, really. Fact is, I was just
going to have roses along the front fence, was into blubs and perennials and
dreams of big trees, thought roses would work along the fence.

The thing is huge. Now Cl Cecile Brunner is interlacing with Cl Peace, about
eight feet overhead. Both give me some rebloom - Cecile gives me more each

year
now.

I *dig this rose, it's one of my loners and as happy as they get. I took this
last week.
http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~mstephen/ccb303.jpg
Lady Banks is in this pic but only I can see it. It *can be positively
identified. This is either its third or fourth year. I sweartogod it's
evergreen but it hasn't found its mark, as the .civilized say. I really don't
know what's going on there. What it has is totally vibrant. like happy.

After finding yesterday that these two are forming a new structure
together, I am really jazzed. And its time to dig out and move a few roses

that
are underneath the Amazon rain forest shade canopy.

last year, and actually a couple years ahead of the time it would have been
absolutely necessary to move it, I dug up Elina, she came up hard. and
croaked immediately. god I was ragged. I still have several pretty good
shafts of light out front. but oops the seats are all taken. nope that's
not true, I'm going to do my best to torture a couple coming twenty dollar
roses into growing right out there in the middle, right where I want a rose,
right where a rose don't seem to wanna grow. I could give a body count if
pressed. I think I'm gonna do a general dirt xplant this time. Get some
of the good stuff from over the ditch. Or in the ditch, I have to dig it
out. Probably lotsa good fish guts and stuff.

Regina