Old 07-04-2003, 02:44 AM
Jean S. Barto

Default Longest time to soak roses?

Hi Folks--

Just wanted to let you all know that I planted 15 of my 16 shrub roses on
Wednesday and Thursday--10 of them in the front yard where they'll get sum
most of the day, 4 of them on the side of the front yard where they'll get
mostly afternoon sun, and 1 in the back yard where it will get mostly
morning sun (Marmalade Skies, supposedly tolerant of light shade).

The last specimen, a second *Marmalade Skies* is still soaking in water
because my Honda mini-tiller died (loose throttle cable, I think) and I have
to take it for repair. I tried digging a hole for this last rose in both
the *primary* and *alternate* locations, and the soil is too tough/clay-like
for me to get through even with a shovel with serrated edge.

Since it's possible I won't be able to plant this last rose for about a
week, am I able to keep this rose's roots soaking in water that long, or
should I do my best to plant the rose where I'm best able to make a good
*home* for it??

Thanks in advance,

Jean in SE VA (Zone 7B)

--
"If you are going through hell, keep going."

Winston Churchill

Old 07-04-2003, 02:56 AM
Shiva

Jean S. Barto wrote:

Hi Folks--

Since it's possible I won't be able to plant this last rose for about a
week, am I able to keep this rose's roots soaking in water that long

Once again, there are many great rosers who soak them for a month or more
with no ill effects.

Old 07-04-2003, 08:32 AM
Allegra

"Jean S. Barto" let us know that:

The last specimen, a second *Marmalade Skies* is still soaking in water
because my Honda mini-tiller died (loose throttle cable, I think) and I have
to take it for repair. I tried digging a hole for this last rose in both
the *primary* and *alternate* locations, and the soil is too tough/clay-like
for me to get through even with a shovel with serrated edge.

Since it's possible I won't be able to plant this last rose for about a
week, am I able to keep this rose's roots soaking in water that long, or
should I do my best to plant the rose where I'm best able to make a good
*home* for it??

Thanks in advance,

Jean in SE VA (Zone 7B)

--
"If you are going through hell, keep going."

Winston Churchill

Hello Jean,

(One of our favorite sayings btw).

I wouldn't worry too much about the soaking business.
For as long as there is fresh water in the bucket, and a little bit
of Superthrive if you have any laying around to keep the
roots happy, you are covered. Even without the Superthrive
-I just like to pamper them a bit if they are not going
to sleep in a bed for a while. Changing the water every
couple of days to keep the maximum amount of oxygen
available is really all you need. (The Superthrive may be
more for me than for the rose, it makes me feel that I am
doing more than expected or some such).

Because of the weather being truly miserable for a couple
of weeks we had to keep our second Gruss an Aachen in
a bucket for nearly 3 weeks. The silly thing decided she
liked it and broke dormancy in the water. Happy as a lark.
Roses are crazy! (not to speak of those who grow them ;)

Allegra

Old 07-04-2003, 04:32 PM
Regina

"Jean S. Barto" wrote:

Hi Folks--

Just wanted to let you all know that I planted 15 of my 16 shrub roses on
Wednesday and Thursday

Congratulations Jean. That's a very good day's labor.

The last specimen, a second *Marmalade Skies* is still soaking in water
because my Honda mini-tiller died (loose throttle cable, I think) and I have
to take it for repair. I tried digging a hole for this last rose in both
the *primary* and *alternate* locations, and the soil is too tough/clay-like
for me to get through even with a shovel with serrated edge.

If you want to get it dug sooner, try deep watering the area then leaving it for
a day or two. Often clay soil will dig most easily if damp. But let it drain
well before messing with it or you'll damage the soil structure.

Since it's possible I won't be able to plant this last rose for about a
week, am I able to keep this rose's roots soaking in water that long, or
should I do my best to plant the rose where I'm best able to make a good
*home* for it??

As you've already heard, long soaking really is not a problem. And I take none
of the precautions Allegra mentioned, re changing the water.

Regina
Old 07-04-2003, 04:44 PM
Radika Kesavan

Regina wrote:
"Jean S. Barto" wrote:

and the soil is too tough/clay-like for me to get through even with
a shovel with serrated edge.

If you want to get it dug sooner, try deep watering the area then
leaving it for a day or two. Often clay soil will dig most easily if
damp. But let it drain well before messing with it or you'll damage
the soil structure.

Excatly what Regina said.

Since it's possible I won't be able to plant this last rose for
about a week, am I able to keep this rose's roots soaking in water
that long, ...

As you've already heard, long soaking really is not a problem.

Really and truly, this is not a problem, at least not in this time of year.

And I take none of the precautions Allegra mentioned, re changing the
water.

I never have, either, but this year, the local authorities are warnign
us against even rain water collecting in saucers for potted plants for
fear of giving a home to mosquito larvae and WNV. Hence I'd recommend
changing the water to keep it clean.

--
Radika
California

Old 07-04-2003, 04:56 PM
Cass

Jean S. Barto wrote:

The last specimen, a second *Marmalade Skies* is still soaking in water
because my Honda mini-tiller died ...

Since it's possible I won't be able to plant this last rose for about a
week, am I able to keep this rose's roots soaking in water that long, or
should I do my best to plant the rose where I'm best able to make a good
*home* for it??

Jean, you also have the option of starting that rose out in a nice big
pot and then transplanting in a couple of months. I started my
bareroots in early February, and they are more than ready to go in the
ground!

BTW, Honda mini-tiller....bonus points for power tools, Jean!
Old 07-04-2003, 09:56 PM
Allegra

"Regina" commented:

As you've already heard, long soaking really is not a problem. And I take none
of the precautions Allegra mentioned, re changing the water.

Regina

Hello Regina,

I perhaps wouldn't either if I lived where you do,
but in Oregon and next to a State park if you keep
your roses out while soaking and don't change the water,
in a couple of days you will have mosquito larvae growing
happily there, particularly in the Spring. It is one of the
recommendations I understand this year has been
implemented in Texas, recommending that people change
standing water to avoid any water surface from becoming
a breeding ground.

But most of all I have done it because capillaries need a lot
of oxygen to maintain a healthy growth, and all I do is to let
the hose run the water over for a couple of minutes which
serves two purposes: one moves the water surface and two,
it oxygenates the rest of the water. No tricks, ma'am.
Just the facts; that is my story and I am sticking to it ;)

Allegra

Old 08-04-2003, 05:44 PM
Regina

Allegra wrote:

"Regina" commented:

As you've already heard, long soaking really is not a problem. And I take none
of the precautions Allegra mentioned, re changing the water.

Regina

Hello Regina,

I perhaps wouldn't either if I lived where you do,
but in Oregon and next to a State park if you keep
your roses out while soaking and don't change the water,
in a couple of days you will have mosquito larvae growing

Yes, Radika mentioned that too. And last year, I did actually find larvae in
two standing water sources here, though it was much more than a few days
incubation time since our mosquito population is low. However, I will be very
careful in the future! West Nile Virus is scary; though it's not here yet, it
obviously will be soon.

But most of all I have done it because capillaries need a lot
of oxygen to maintain a healthy growth,

Yeah, that was more my point - that even if you don't make efforts to aerate,
they seem to do just fine. They might do better with aeration and extra
attention like Superthrive, but they will be ok with less. If I were a
bareroot, I'd probably rather be soaking in your bucket.

and all I do is to let
the hose run the water over for a couple of minutes which
serves two purposes:

Oh! when you said change the water, I thought you dumped it and refilled. Not
so? Aeration with a hose is quite doable once the soaking containers leave the
garage. I am still soaking inside as nights are below freezing mostly.

one moves the water surface and two,
it oxygenates the rest of the water. No tricks, ma'am.
Just the facts; that is my story and I am sticking to it ;)

Allegra

Good story, and I'll remember to do this this summer. Thanks.

Regina