Old 12-04-2003, 03:56 AM
Radika Kesavan

Default How did everybody get started with their rose hobby?

Cass wrote:
Bob Bauer wrote:

great story though, and '69 rules

As I recall we got a lot of mileage out the phrase 'The class of '69'

Cheeses, you guys are old. That's *my* class.

Heheh. I am from the class of '68, not that this means anything in terms
of my age g.

Dr. Brownell is in the bag here with me. Among others...... many
others...... heh heh

BTW, I am learning that there are only so many rose bushes that you
can pawn off on your neighblors......

Time to convert one of the relatives.

And convince Second Harvest Food Bank that they really need rose bushes
along with food donations.

--
Radika
California

Old 12-04-2003, 05:20 AM
Radika Kesavan

lms wrote:
In article ,
says...

http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~mstephen/Persi99.jpg

That is absolutely stunning, ...

why...why...why...thank you, k rad, I'll be your messenger.

Heh. You are welcome, it's the truth, and thank you for the offer.

that thing has escaped the grounds, has popped up on the other side
of the pickets, in horse territory. they'll strip everything they
can reach on some roses, but they leave this one and R. primula
alone.

That is definitely a plus.

Is that a grape vine in the foreground in the first shot?

being still naked, the extent to which:
http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~mstephen/8x6S.jpg ...

Aye, that is still naked all right. Here, they just started leafing out,
but it beign a very strange El nino / La Vieja cycle of a year, the
Concord is completely bloomed and the Muscat is mid-way in blooming.
Very strange patterns of growth and bloom this year.

or so I hedge the bets and hack the grape.

Well, you still have them quite large. I think.

what gives me a good charge in this pic is that skyrose right-center,
back there along the fence--Cl. McGredy's Sunset, which was in the
first order I placed with Roses of Yesterday and Today years ago, and
my first hugely successful moved rose.

Show me again, please, when they bloom. I lack in imagination. Why did
you move that rose?

Used to grow in front of--north of--Cl. Talisman, Trigintipetala and
Soleil d'Or--they were smothering it. At the time I requested that
RoY&T catalog I wanted to plant some old roses but when I actually
got the catalog I ended up getting just two 'old' roses, Leda and
Trigintipetala aka Kazanlik. The other 'modern' was Cl. Talisman,
they're all still alive and plenty potent. omni potent.

Speaking of potent and fecund roses, for the first time in all these
years, I have got rose seedlings popping up in a couple of different
places; one is something from Irene Watts, or Souv de St. Anne's and
some Moore miniatures; the other is something from one of Kim's roses -
Dotty Louise, Othello, Gertrude Jekyll and Comte de Chambord. That's
what happens when I give up on deadheading. Am just letting the
seedlings grow in situ to see if I can tell what is what.

And I almost forgot, I'm also growing 74 Oldsmobiles out there. It's
greening up.

Very luxuriantly too.

haha. definitely, it's right up there wit crossing foetida bicolor
with Elina, only need another Elina.

Isn't bicolor sterile? It is blooming now, and is gorgeous. I have got
too much lavender at its feet, need to hack through it soon.

And what happened to the other Elina? Bit the dust? Bit the ice?

Mind explaining?

the red rose, a recorded first rose moment
http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~mstephen/nuuk.jpg

all the ones and zeroes, you know who you are hahahaha, it's all
gobbledegook without a decoder.

Mister Lincoln g?

--
Radika
California

Old 12-04-2003, 06:08 AM
Emil

This turned into a nice thread. :-) Thanks to everybody who replied!

Emil

"Emil" wrote in message
Hi group,

Out of curiosity...How did everybody start with their hobby, more like a
passion :-) of roses? Did you learn by watching parents plant roses? Is
growing roses your occupation, any of you own a nursery? Etc. Etc.

As for me, when we bought our first house a couple of years ago, we bought

4
roses. Everytime we went to the nursery, we came home with more and more
roses. Final count at our old house was close to 35 rose bushes that I
planted from bareroots.

So what's everybody story?

Emil

Old 12-04-2003, 04:20 PM
Cass

Radika Kesavan wrote:

Speaking of potent and fecund roses, for the first time in all these
years, I have got rose seedlings popping up in a couple of different
places; one is something from Irene Watts, or Souv de St. Anne's and
some Moore miniatures; the other is something from one of Kim's roses -
Dotty Louise, Othello, Gertrude Jekyll and Comte de Chambord. That's
what happens when I give up on deadheading. Am just letting the
seedlings grow in situ to see if I can tell what is what.

I wish I had seedlings, but where I've had budded roses and moved them,
I think I'm getting root divisions of the rootstock. If the darned
things would just flower, already. This happens so often that I'm
surprised I don't hear about it from others. Or am I the only one to
redecorate their roses? I've been encouraged by the results of the
moves, and I moved some honkers.
Old 12-04-2003, 04:44 PM
Radika Kesavan

Cass wrote:
Radika Kesavan wrote:

Speaking of potent and fecund roses, for the first time in all
these years, I have got rose seedlings popping up in a couple of
different places; ....

I wish I had seedlings, but where I've had budded roses and moved
them, I think I'm getting root divisions of the rootstock.

Oh, aye, that has happened to me too, in three places specifically. That
is why I am careful to jump to the conclusion that only the "new" roses
that come up in rose-virgin territory are seedlings.

If the darned things would just flower, already. This happens so
often that I'm surprised I don't hear about it from others.

I thought it was my unique problem too! And, also, ever since the Rose
Rosette disease talk came up to be talked about, I am hacking at these
root divisions of rootstock with vigour, where I can reach them (one of
them is in the middle of a minor sea of St. John's Wort, so it is hard
to tackle). I am not sure if any of my roses have multiflora as
understock, but who needs long lanky canes that bloom not and might be a
source of other headaches?

Or am I the only one to redecorate their roses? I've been encouraged
by the results of the moves, and I moved some honkers.

Same here, same here ... Yellow Lady banks and Reine des Violettes were
the biggest roses I ever moved, but there have been others, too many
others .... sigh ...

--
Radika
California

Old 14-04-2003, 02:20 PM
lms

In article ,
says...

lms wrote:
In article ,
says...

Is that a grape vine in the foreground in the first shot?

being still naked, the extent to which:
http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~mstephen/8x6S.jpg ...

Aye, that is still naked all right. Here, they just started leafing out,
but it beign a very strange El nino / La Vieja cycle of a year, the
Concord is completely bloomed and the Muscat is mid-way in blooming.
Very strange patterns of growth and bloom this year.

or so I hedge the bets and hack the grape.

Well, you still have them quite large. I think.

over the twenty years they've been living they've just bent down that
fence they're riding from 4' to 2'. squeeze play.

what gives me a good charge in this pic is that skyrose right-center,
back there along the fence--Cl. McGredy's Sunset, which was in the
first order I placed with Roses of Yesterday and Today years ago, and
my first hugely successful moved rose.

Show me again, please, when they bloom.

they're supposed to bloom?

I lack in imagination. Why did
you move that rose?

It was down to it, you know, move it or lose it. them, I should say,
moved Summer Sunshine and Mikado at the same time, they were the first roses to
recognize the coming Dark Age, although at the time it was just roses killing
roses. Planting roses three rows deep facing south ain't such a bright idea,
especially if there's a slope involved. Summer Sunshine and Mikado are still
with the living too, I'll add, though Summer Sunshine has to directly compete
with Trier, something it is surprisingly coping well with. Really dig Mikado,
but one I like better is Pompeii, which is available only from one cheap
catalog I know of.

Used to grow in front of--north of--Cl. Talisman, Trigintipetala and
Soleil d'Or--they were smothering it. At the time I requested that
RoY&T catalog I wanted to plant some old roses but when I actually
got the catalog I ended up getting just two 'old' roses, Leda and
Trigintipetala aka Kazanlik. The other 'modern' was Cl. Talisman,
they're all still alive and plenty potent. omni potent.

Speaking of potent and fecund roses, for the first time in all these
years, I have got rose seedlings popping up in a couple of different
places;

excellent, it's always amazed me to imagine what happens to all those
seedlings. I have one next to Alain Chandler, a gallica, grows next to
Nicole on one side and two hybrid Moyesiis on the other. There's one several
years old I've never been able to make up my mind about, Chicago Peace is
the closest unit. Whether it's rootstock or not. Chicago Peace has no
resident invasion of rootstock. Blooms red, ain't Huey. I just noticed
another one the other day, it's in an unlikely location, next to a couple
roses which have never grown like rockets but never seem to lose their edge
on life either. Yesterday I popped open a Nevada hip and took a taste--
dried, tasteless--but it certainly made me wonder how thousands upon thousands
of seeds every year but no new roses. I haven't looked very closely lately,
that's a good little project.

one is something from Irene Watts, or Souv de St. Anne's and
some Moore miniatures; the other is something from one of Kim's roses -
Dotty Louise, Othello, Gertrude Jekyll and Comte de Chambord. That's
what happens when I give up on deadheading. Am just letting the
seedlings grow in situ to see if I can tell what is what.

as easily as pecan trees sprout here I'm surprised I don't have more--I
should just throw some hips in the irrigation ditch and 'stomp' them in.

haha. definitely, it's right up there wit crossing foetida bicolor
with Elina, only need another Elina.

Isn't bicolor sterile?

no, I've seen tons of crosses with it in MR, it's all over the map,
infact it's a rose which endlessly fascinates me in that respect. there
are a couple sports of it--I'm dubious to any big differences with these,
though I have seen none--and the one I have has sported at least 5 canes
of straight yellow units, that is just the coolest thing to see.

It is blooming now, and is gorgeous. I have got
too much lavender at its feet, need to hack through it soon.

Nevada inches into it more each year and so does RazIce but everything's
a big mass and a big fight with none nearing the precipice, I like it that way.

And what happened to the other Elina? Bit the dust? Bit the ice?

Mind explaining?

only ever had one Elina, killed it. gd it. was near and dear but the
redbud keeps coming this way and if I hack it any more, it's going to lose
all semblance of a redbud. the redbud killing roses, the pecans and me
after the redbud, I just don't have a real good grip on the situation, never
claimed to.

the red rose, a recorded first rose moment
http://www.aoc.nrao.edu/~mstephen/nuuk.jpg

all the ones and zeroes, you know who you are hahahaha, it's all
gobbledegook without a decoder.

Mister Lincoln g?

smoke and mirrors. my bigdog Chaco has taken to burying his food dish, I guess
he's tired of Burt stealing it, taking it out to Apricot Twist and ****ing on
it. Then Chaco will **** on it, then Burt again. Spent 3 days under Yves
Piaget, that was a *very good one. And of course he wouldn't eat out of a
metal bowl substitute. Last time for the first time, he took it across the
ditch, buried it under Paul McCartney. Started to dig into the new glads and
etc bed but it was too wet thangod. So I figured it must be closeby. Mr.
Detective.
If he's happy, I'm happy.
Yesterday I noticed Canary Bird had started blooming and they all got freeze
fried and I missed it, happened way early, must have, about the same time as
Primula. It's in a wild and dangerous location, between Fruhlingsmorgen and
Julie Annnnndrews, a pair of monsters. That whole area is just dangerous--
Gen Macarthur, Trier, Sparrieshoop. duck and weave navigation, you have
to have a good reason to get close.

Radika
California
USDA 9 / Sunset 15

Old 17-04-2003, 02:56 PM
Kim

In article , says...

One of the houses we lived in when I was a kid had a whole side of
the house dedicated to roses. They were there when we moved in,
and still there three years later when we moved out, my dad took
great care of them. I've just always loved the look and especially
the SMELL. Now I live in my very own house, and it came with a small
rose garden right in the front. Most of the varieties are common HTs
of the 50s/60s (at least the ones I've been able to figure out!), so
nothing special or rare. There were also some pink Simplicities along
a fence. Since then I've added a few of my own, I stumbled on the
Canadian Explorer hardy roses at a fall sale, and have been VERY happy
with them (especially John Cabot!). I have a HUGE briar patch that

Another John Cabot fan! Excellent! That has been my one and only rose to
date, and I enjoyed having it so much, I couldn't bear to "go without" when I
moved. I scoured around and finally found a place to order one (other than
Canada) in Maine. It'll be here shortly. When I called to place the order
(one for me and one for my Mom) in Feb. the folks there still had FEET of snow
on the ground.

How long have you had your John Cabot? I'd only had mine 5 growing seasons
when I moved last fall, and it was huge and wonderful (at least to my untrained
eyes!) How much do you prune yours, and have you tried to shape it at all or
have you just let him grow how he wants to (in terms of the hugely long canes)?

--

Kim

"We have done so much with so little for so long that now we can do anything
with nothing." -- Dave Marcis