Old 16-02-2003, 05:39 PM
Dick E.

Default potted miniature roses

This is a fine NG! I've been lurking for awhile - now I'm quickly
dipping in:

We live in the Southern California inland area of San Diego County
where temperatures vary from 110 down to 20 degrees F. We have a few
potted miniature roses in our back yard - and whenever the weather
begins to give us signs it might freeze my wife dutifully covers the
potted roses with sheets (overnight) in fear they will freeze. None of
our other roses, not potted, planted all around the house, have
suffered from below freezing temps... Are the miniatures more
susceptible to freezing than non-mins? Would being in pots make a
difference?

thanks for info!

Dick E.
Old 16-02-2003, 06:51 PM
Julia

Dick E. wrote:
This is a fine NG! I've been lurking for awhile - now I'm quickly
dipping in:

We live in the Southern California inland area of San Diego County
where temperatures vary from 110 down to 20 degrees F. We have a few
potted miniature roses in our back yard - and whenever the weather
begins to give us signs it might freeze my wife dutifully covers the
potted roses with sheets (overnight) in fear they will freeze. None of
our other roses, not potted, planted all around the house, have
suffered from below freezing temps... Are the miniatures more
susceptible to freezing than non-mins? Would being in pots make a
difference?

I'm in the University City area of San Diego so I don't get the
temperature extremes that you do. Minis are no more susceptible to
freezing than the big roses but it sure can't hurt to protect them as
your wife does. As to being in pots, I would think that the location of
the pots themselves would be more of an issue than the fact of their
pottedness. (if that's even a word, heheh)

Julia

Old 16-02-2003, 09:03 PM
Shiva

Dick E. wrote:

This is a fine NG! I've been lurking for awhile - now I'm quickly
dipping in

Welcome, Dick!

:

We live in the Southern California inland area of San Diego County
where temperatures vary from 110 down to 20 degrees F.

Here in Raleigh we get temps of 10 degrees F through about 100, so I know
what you're talking about.

Are the miniatures more
susceptible to freezing than non-mins? Would being in pots make a
difference?

Minis would be more susceptible to freezing in the same way that an ice
cube tray will freeze faster than a gallon jug of water, see what I mean?
The smaller area of the pot, and the fact that it is not insulated by the
ground is what might cause a problem in a prolonged freeze. I would worry
about minis because I assume you have them in even smaller pots than I use
for my potted hybrid teas--less than a 15 inch pot? On the other hand--
location is important in that your potted roses will stay warmer if
snuggled near the house out of any wind where they can benefit from the 10
or so degrees warmer your heating will keep them. Your wife is smart to
cover them, and if you're getting, say, 20 degrees for three days in a
row, I might put them closer to the house.

Old 17-02-2003, 01:27 AM
Tim Tompkins

As a general rule Miniatures are more hardy than their
larger brethern. This is due to most minis being on their
own roots and not having the fragile graft area.

For the most part a 48 hour period of 20F will put roses
into complete dormancy. If the temperature is fluctuating
sufficently they will also pop right back.

Containers don't provide the insulation of being in the
ground which will have a significant temperature moderating affect. Were I
to 'protect' container roses
the strategy I would choose is to insulate the containers
rather than the foliage. Depending on the variety, all roses
are hardy to below 32F, the variety determines the temperature at which the
natural anti-freeze will no longer
protect from frost/freeze damage. New growth is always more tender that
canes that have turned woody.

The location can also have a significant impact on short
term temperature extreems. If the pots are on the ground
there is a lot of buffering from the mass of the earth, on
the other hand if the pots are on an elevated surface there
is no insulation and the entire container is exposed.

Old 17-02-2003, 06:39 PM
clc

Dick, I live in Zone 5 where our winters can get well below zero. As long
as I keep my minis well mulched (not necessarily "covered") they've done
fine.

Cheryl

Old 22-02-2003, 05:39 AM
Dick E.

Again, thanks to all who responded to my question about mini potted
roses and low temperatures. I shared your responses w/ my wife and she
was pleased at the suggestions - especially having to do with pot size
and freezability, plus durability of mini roses.

VERY helpful.

Dick E.
http://members.home.net/2dellis/ 1000+ episodes of doug&Sylvia
Old 23-03-2011, 12:09 AM
Registered User

The location also has a great impact on short-term temperature extreems. If the basin, there are a lot of grace period, from the mass of the Earth, on the other hand, if the pots on the elevated surface is not insulated and the entire container is exposed.
Pond Liners

You're invited to my new Yahoo Group, "Fragrant Miniature Roses" Dan Gannon Roses 102 03-02-2011 05:45 PM
Winterizing Container Miniature Roses? SCiani Roses 0 26-09-2003 02:14 AM
Miniature Roses quest Linda Roses 0 05-05-2003 05:56 AM
Good Lavender Miniature Roses Rose rescue Radika Kesavan Roses 7 24-03-2003 10:08 PM
Indoor Miniature Roses A Stafford Roses 2 06-02-2003 10:06 PM