Old 19-05-2006, 12:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default knock-out NOT!

I have 3 knock-out roses that are about 4 years old. Each year they
have been great except this year. The leaves have developed white spots
which seem to be turning into voids. I looked closely for bugs, mold,
or something (on both sides of leaves). But I can not see anything
alarming. Does anyone have an idea? BTW, I have 3 different knock-outs
in front of the house doing great!

Old 19-05-2006, 08:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran

wrote in message
ups.com...
I have 3 knock-out roses that are about 4 years old. Each year they
have been great except this year. The leaves have developed white spots
which seem to be turning into voids. I looked closely for bugs, mold,
or something (on both sides of leaves). But I can not see anything
alarming. Does anyone have an idea? BTW, I have 3 different knock-outs
in front of the house doing great!

There are web sites that show rose diseases that
you can use to identify your specific problem
and a solution. For example:
http://members.tripod.com/buggyrose/irosepests.htm

Location makes a difference. Where I live
I get a lot of sun, heat, wind, so most common
rose diseases don't bother my roses. If you live
someplace with a lot of clouds, rain, etc., you'll
get diseases I have no experience with. So it helps
to mention where you live. Also, since the
disease is bothering only one rose, perhaps that
one is getting too much shade, or too much
moisture, or whatever.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8 USA

Old 20-05-2006, 11:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Dieter Pietryka

A totally carefree, truly "easy" rose doesn't really exist outside our
imaginations.

Damage may be caused by Leafhoppers.

Check my page http://www.blitzworld.com/roses/Type...e_problems.htm

--
Dieter L Pietryka
Owner/Photographer

http://www.blitzworld.com/

ups.com...

Old 22-05-2006, 12:08 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran

"Dieter Pietryka" wrote in message
A totally carefree, truly "easy" rose doesn't really exist outside our
imaginations.

Damage may be caused by Leafhoppers.

Check my page http://www.blitzworld.com/roses/Type...e_problems.htm

--
Dieter L Pietryka
Owner/Photographer

http://www.blitzworld.com/

I like your web site. It's easy to navigate,
not loaded too heavily (for those of us with
slow dial-up) and has good, basic information.
I've bookmarked it. Thanks!

Gail
near San Antonio TX USA Zone 8

Old 24-05-2006, 03:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
higgledy

Dieter,

Definitly is leafhoppers. How do I save my plant? I never had
leafhoppers, I thought aphids were the worst.

Phil

Old 24-05-2006, 07:57 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Dieter Pietryka

For control info visit this site http://www.bmi.net/roseguy/gblfhop.html.

Good Luck

Dieter L Pietryka
Owner/Photographer
Blitz World Enterprises

http://www.blitzworld.com/

oups.com...

Old 25-05-2006, 03:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
elsie

wrote:
I have 3 knock-out roses that are about 4 years old. Each year they
have been great except this year. The leaves have developed white spots
which seem to be turning into voids. I looked closely for bugs, mold,
or something (on both sides of leaves). But I can not see anything
alarming. Does anyone have an idea? BTW, I have 3 different knock-outs
in front of the house doing great!

In your email you mention that you get white "spots" on the leaves
which turn into voids. (I'm gathering by voids you mean holes?) If they
are definite circular spots, then they couldn't be leafhoppers, as
these insects leave a pale stippling/blotching/mottled effect on
leaves, not definite holes.see
http://pep.wsu.edu/hortsense/scripts...ableName=plant.
Also, you mention that you have looked closely for bugs on both sides
of the leaves. If there were leafhoppers, there would be evidence of
them on the underside of the leaf (where they suck the sap) and you
would notice them jumping and flying when disturbed, (they are about
4mm long, are greenish/yellow and have red eyes - they look like tiny
cicadas), also there would be evidence of their tiny sticky brown
droppings, which are difficult to remove. Plus you'd see evidence of
their cast skins on the undersides of the leaf. Have a good look on the
undersurface of the leaves for any of these tell-tale signs. If there's
no evidence to suggest these insects, I'd say the voids are caused by
some kind of fungus. Maybe anthracnose, though the spots usually start
off as brown and then turn white in the centre while rest of leaf
remains green. These spots then drop out of leaf giving it a shot-hole
appearance.(could these be the voids you mentioned?) If this is the
case, you'd need to spray with an appropriate fungicide. Your local
nursery should be able to help you find the correct one to use for this
disease. Also try improving the air circulation around the plant and
make sure that it has at least 6-8 hours of sun a day. Hope this helps.
Regards Elsie

Old 25-05-2006, 05:03 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Dieter Pietryka

I like the way you think! But Anthracnose is completely different
http://www.sactorose.org/rosebug/iro...tm#ANTHRACNOSE
something is eating the leaves. If not leafhoppers then it is a mystery
insect?
I have several roses with the same problem!!.

Note: On the same page as above, the leafhopper damage is not the same?

Dieter L Pietryka
Owner/Photographer
Blitz World Enterprises

http://www.blitzworld.com/

"elsie" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old 25-05-2006, 10:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
higgledy

Elsie:
Thanks for the explanation, but the leaves look just like the leaves in
this picture on Dieter's website.
http://www.blitzworld.com/roses/imag...W_6249_RJa.JPG

I guess my definition of whiteish is more grayish.

Also, Anthracnose leaves have black rings around the voids or blotches,
leaves on my roses do not have a black ring.

I did see a white-ish bug jump when I turned over a leaf. The bug was
nearly translucent. Could this had been one of those casts? Maybe it
did not jump but rather fell off the leaf? I don't know. I'll look
again tonight.

I am not as knowledgable about rose care as I need to be, you should
see my pruning job. OH! I need help!

Phil

Old 26-05-2006, 10:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
higgledy

I posted pictures of the damaged leaves from my Knock-Out rose bush.
Please take a look to determine if this is leafhopper damage.

news:alt.binaries.pictures.gardens email subject: Knock-Out Rose
Problem

Old 02-06-2006, 01:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
higgledy

I think I solved this problem. Next to my 3 rose bushes is a dwarf
Alberta Spruce. Last Friday I noticed that it is infested with
whiteflies. I think they could have migrated to the rose bushes while
on vacation from the spruce.