Old 10-04-2003, 02:56 PM
Jane

Default replanting new roses?

Hi people,
I'm thinking my roses are still planted too high for my climate and even
though I just put them in a few weeks ago, I was thinking I should re plant
them deeper. Additionally, I'm considering adding a little extra soil
lightners, since we seem to be under constant rain here and I worry that
their feet will be too wet as they are... Since they're looking alive,
leafing out a little, when may I do this without stressing them more than
they can handle?
Thanks in advance,
Jane in 6b, MD

Old 10-04-2003, 03:20 PM
Shiva

On Thu, 10 Apr 2003 12:46:16 GMT, "Jane"
wrote:

Hi people,
I'm thinking my roses are still planted too high for my climate and even
though I just put them in a few weeks ago, I was thinking I should re plant
them deeper. Additionally, I'm considering adding a little extra soil
lightners, since we seem to be under constant rain here and I worry that
their feet will be too wet as they are... Since they're looking alive,
leafing out a little, when may I do this without stressing them more than
they can handle?
Thanks in advance,
Jane in 6b, MD

Jane--isn't there a way you could plant them high and still have the
bud unions covered? Some sort of foot-high "collar" you could put
around the plants, at the drip line, that would hold mounded earth and
mulch in the fall and all the way through the winter? You have two
problems--drainage being the worst, I think, and cold being second. It
seems like the "collar" idea might be a good compromise.

If you really want to move replant them I think I would wait until the
fall--they are just about to do their spring thing!

Old 10-04-2003, 06:20 PM
Jean S. Barto

I planted my roses lower than recommended for my climate--it got down in the
low 20's here in Hampton Roads, VA in Jan and Feb, and I thought that having
the roses planted higher would endanger them next winter. I'm not sure
about replanting them now--I suppose it depends how long you've had them
in--if they've just been in a few days I'd think it would be OK to move
them.

Jean in VA

et...

Old 11-04-2003, 04:44 AM
Jeffrey J. Potoff

Jane wrote:
Hi people,
I'm thinking my roses are still planted too high for my climate and even
though I just put them in a few weeks ago, I was thinking I should re plant
them deeper. Additionally, I'm considering adding a little extra soil
lightners, since we seem to be under constant rain here and I worry that
their feet will be too wet as they are... Since they're looking alive,
leafing out a little, when may I do this without stressing them more than
they can handle?
Thanks in advance,
Jane in 6b, MD

I used to live in MD. You get two weeks of "winter" every year. If you
have the bud unions level with the ground, they are deep enough. If
it's stressing you out, it shouldn't be a problem to dig them up and
replant, but I would probably leave them alone. You could always raise
the level of bed by adding dirt.

J.

Old 11-04-2003, 02:56 PM
Shiva

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 02:35:43 GMT, "Jeffrey J. Potoff"
wrote:

I used to live in MD. You get two weeks of "winter" every year.

When did this happen? I was there for the first 20 years of my life,
and we had real winters every year, most times with feet of snow, not
inches.

Old 15-04-2003, 05:20 AM
Jane

Thanks Jean, I decided since they were already having a wet spring I'd do as
Shiva suggested for the summer to give them half a chance. I'm afraid I'm
not used to this climate yet. It seems very erratic. I saw 0 this past
winter and a few days later it was in the 40s.
Two days ago it was 42 and tomorrow it's going to be mid 80s. This is very
disturbing.

Jane in Wonderland (grin)

Old 15-04-2003, 05:44 AM
Jane

Thanks Jeff...we had a rough one last winter. El Nino they say. I'm adding
dirt because it seems the kindest way to let them get a start.
Jane

Old 16-04-2003, 04:56 AM
Jeffrey J. Potoff

wrote:

I used to live in MD. You get two weeks of "winter" every year.

When did this happen? I was there for the first 20 years of my life,
and we had real winters every year, most times with feet of snow, not
inches.

Yeah, Yeah. Baltimore gets a foot of snow dumped on it sometime during
the winter, but it's only cold for a few weeks in January and even then
the temp bounces around quite a bit. One year I as riding my bike in
shorts in late December. I have family that have lived there for 40
years so I know my experience over a couple years was not out of the
ordinary. Their idea of cold is 50 F. This is in contrast to the time
I spent in Minnesota where "winter" consists of 6 weeks at 0 F and many
more weeks below 32 F. That's where I'd worry about winter protection
and deep planting of bud unions for roses. I don't even plant deep in
Zone 5 and I haven't lost anything.

J.