Old 27-05-2006, 09:55 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Jim Elbrecht

Default Francis Dubreuil- availability & hardiness

Let me start by admitting I'm no rose gardener. [Herbs and veggies are
my vice]

But my mom's maiden name is Dubreuil & I ran across the Francis
Dubreuil rose while doing some genealogy & it looks like it would make
a nice gift for her 80th birthday coming up.

After googling through a dozen of the larger rose nurseries, I found
http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?i=A2835&tab=16 and started
through ther suppliers listed there.

I'm in NY, near Schenectady- zone 5-6, so I was hoping to find a
northern nursery. All the Oregon nurseries were sold out or no
longer shipping. I tried several CA nurseries that were no longer
shipping.

Finally I found Ashdown - that still has some. But they say it is
only hardy to zone 7.
http://www.ashdownroses.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=931

The help-me-find main page says zones 4-9.
http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?i=A2835&tab=1

Is Ashdown being conservative, or will there be 'tender' strains of
the same variety?

Thanks,
Jim
[if anyone knows of a source within a few hours drive of Albany, NY,
I'd love to check it out]
Old 28-05-2006, 11:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
[...]

Antique Rose Emporium
http://www.antiqueroseemporium.com/rose-457.html
lists Francis Dubreuil as being best grown
in zones 7-9.

If you really want to give this rose as a gift,
since it's a relatively small rose, why not put
it in a pot? That way you can move it inside
(garage or shed) during the winter months.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 30-05-2006, 06:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
elsie

Hi Jim, in my copy of Botanica's Pocket Roses it gives a zone hardiness
of 4 - 9, the same as the help-me-find page. It is confusing though,
because nurseries would have a better idea of how they grow in local
conditions one would think and they're not going to turn away a sale
either i wouldn't imagine., but then again why would they put the lower
zones in the book and website.To confuse us perhaps#?! Are there any
local garden clubs you could contact - they are an absolute wealth of
knowledge on local conditions and what will/won't grow there. Anyway
here are a few snippets from the book that may help to your success
with it. (I'd still buy it) "this handsome rose needs part shade to
prevent its delicate, blood red petals from scorching" (from this info
I'd make sure it isn't in the hot afternoon sun, however roses need at
least 6 hours sun, so maybe put it in a spot that gets morning sun til
about 1pm and then is shaded from the hot afternoon sun). "the 3 ft
lanky shrub is an ideal container plant, though it does have some
prickles" and "it should be placed where it's lovely scent can be
enjoyed during its long blooming period" So maybe putting it in a tub,
as Gail has suggested is the answer, that way you can move it out of
the more severe winter weather; when it's flowering you can move it to
somewhere that you can enjoy it's scent, and out of the hot afternoon
sun in summer.Sounds like a plan! Good luck and I'm sure your mother
will just love it! Regards Elsie

Old 01-06-2006, 06:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Jim Elbrecht

Thanks Gail & Elsie.

I think I will go with it as a potted plant. All the notes say it
doesn't mind- so it is probably a good idea in this part of the world.

[My delay cost me a few bucks. Ashdown was out of stock by the time I
got there. I bought the last one from Roses Unlimited.]

Jim
Old 01-06-2006, 08:58 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message

Thanks Gail & Elsie.

I think I will go with it as a potted plant. All the notes say it
doesn't mind- so it is probably a good idea in this part of the world.

[My delay cost me a few bucks. Ashdown was out of stock by the time I
got there. I bought the last one from Roses Unlimited.]

Jim

I hope that works out for you. Potted
plants can take more care, especially
watering. I use the moist beads (various
manufacturers) and that seems to help hold
onto water.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8