Old 11-04-2003, 02:32 PM
SBHCOM

Default Did I KILL all my Roses?

I think I messed up bad, this was the first year I winterized roses (I live in
Michigan). I cut them down to about 6 inches from the ground and then placed
old plastic pots on top of them. I then cut slits in the top and filled them
with black pine mulch. When I removed the pots yesterday I found the roses in
terrible shape, the stems seem to all have rotted. I think I really screwed up

A pipe gives a wise man time to think and a dumb man something to stick in his
mouth.
Old 11-04-2003, 02:44 PM
SBHCOM

These were all new shrubs planted in summer, so this was their first winter.

Old 11-04-2003, 03:08 PM
SBHCOM

Old 11-04-2003, 03:20 PM
Theo Asir

Sounds like classic water damage.
If they were own root they should recover
if they are grafted and the rot reached the graft
it is bye bye.

Who gave you that advice?
Covering with mulch does not help
cos the cold/warm air gets in there
any way. All recomendations typically
ask for covering w/ compost.

And the the plastic pots holds the moisture in as you
are learning.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

Old 13-04-2003, 04:20 PM
Shiva

On Fri, 11 Apr 2003 14:15:05 GMT, "Theo Asir"
wrote:

All recomendations typically
ask for covering w/ compost.

Theo. This is the first I have ever heard of compost being just the
thing for this. In fact, I would say that all recomendations usually
call for winter protecting with soil or mulch. ??? Not to mention the
fact that not everyone composts. Mulch and soil are fine for winter
protecting--the poster just overdid it with the plastic etc, don't you
think?

Old 14-04-2003, 05:21 PM
Theo Asir

Shiva you are right.
Compost/Soil is just the
thing to cover the graft from cold.

Mulch does not really help there.
Mulch does help keep the cold
in during unseasonable warmth.

The plastic pot was what did it in though.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

s.com...

Old 16-04-2003, 03:56 AM
Jeffrey J. Potoff

Theo Asir wrote:
Shiva you are right.
Compost/Soil is just the
thing to cover the graft from cold.

Mulch does not really help there.
Mulch does help keep the cold
in during unseasonable warmth.

Mulch works just fine. Anything I put under ceder chips this winter was
nice and green in the spring when I unburied it. The big problem in the
winter isn't cold, it's dehydration. How else could one explain why
covering with mulch would help anything? If you were to put a
thermometer at various points of the pile you would be unlike to see
much of a temperature gradient compared to the air temp.

The plastic pot was what did it in though.

I agree.

J.

Old 16-04-2003, 03:44 PM
SBHCOM

Ok, so how long should I wait till I'm sure they are dead?

Old 18-04-2003, 04:20 PM
Theo Asir

I guess in your short growing season
you may need to start replacing some of the worst
ones right now.

Remember even if something comes from
down there it maybe the root stock & not
the main graft.

The tempreture has been consistently above zero
for 6 weeks and you have seen nothing junk 'em.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City