Old 11-08-2006, 02:15 PM
Registered User

Default No sign of Life

I bought ten bare-rooted roses and planted them in March. They were all planted together, the day after they arrived, in the same area of the garden. 4 of the 10 have grown and flowered but the other 6 still show no sign of life. How long should I wait before assuming they are dead?
Old 11-08-2006, 04:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

--
flimbin

I would be tempted to assume the non-active
roses are dead after that long a time in the ground.
It should be easy to check: Are the canes dry
and brittle?

If that's the case, a 60% failure rate is bad
news. Either you were sold poor stock, or there
is some cultural problem (soil, water, pests,
competing plants nearby), or a combination of
those factors.

Planting bareroots can be tricky, too. If
you haven't done it before, it's possible you
didn't give the roses a good start. Some
roses will survive/thrive despite our best
efforts to kill them. Others will not.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8 USA

Old 11-08-2006, 11:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

I would politely inquire how the supplier handles his roses and explain
to him how you handled them. Determine if you can just how long they
were out of the ground and discuss that with him. Like Gail said,
something went wrong. Your fault, you lose. Post Office's fault, you
probably lose. Suppliers fault, maybe he will replace them. Rose roots
die if they dry out, if the supplier did not package them to keep the
roots damp, dead roses. If you unpacked them and was slow about
planting them, hours?, dead roots. The roots simply MUST be kept damp
from dig up to planting. Many folk unpack new roses and quickly
submerge them in water for 12 hours prior to planting, to rehydrate
them, and repeatdly soak their bed the first week or so after planting.

Joe T
Baytown, Tx.

Old 12-08-2006, 02:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

"flimbin" wrote in message

I bought ten bare-rooted roses and planted them in March. They were all
planted together, the day after they arrived, in the same area of the
garden. 4 of the 10 have grown and flowered but the other 6 still show
no sign of life. How long should I wait before assuming they are dead?

It's nearly the end of summer, the ones that haven't shown any life are well
dead. By now all your bare roots should have had produced significant
healthy new growth.

Many stores on this side of the big pond have lifetime return policies on
plants. Perhaps you can return them and try again next spring. I'm not
really familiar with England's weather, but if last year's London weather in
December/January was normal, then my guess is March is on the tail end of
the bareroot planting season.

-S

Old 12-08-2006, 10:29 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtill

flimbin wrote:
I bought ten bare-rooted roses and planted them in March. They were all
planted together, the day after they arrived, in the same area of the
garden. 4 of the 10 have grown and flowered but the other 6 still show
no sign of life. How long should I wait before assuming they are dead?

--
flimbin
Its probably not worth it as the collection was so inexpensive. Maybe I only got what I paid for.
Old 13-08-2006, 07:45 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

"flimbin" wrote in message

Gail Futoran Wrote:
...-

-
--
flimbin-

I would be tempted to assume the non-active
roses are dead after that long a time in the ground.
It should be easy to check: Are the canes dry
and brittle?

If that's the case, a 60% failure rate is bad
news. Either you were sold poor stock, or there
is some cultural problem (soil, water, pests,
competing plants nearby), or a combination of
those factors.

Planting bareroots can be tricky, too. If
you haven't done it before, it's possible you
didn't give the roses a good start. Some
roses will survive/thrive despite our best
efforts to kill them. Others will not.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8 USA

Thanks.

The canes are brown, but I wouldnt say brittle. I have decided to
replace them but pot them up and see if anything happens in spring. One
of the canes on one of the roses is green at the base but there is no
leaf or stem growth.
--
flimbin

I've also potted up roses that weren't doing
that well and sometimes it works. But I
have to agree with other posters that if you
haven't seen any growth by now, the roses
are dead.

Gail
near San Antonio TX USA Zone 8

Old 26-08-2006, 11:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Roses are beautiful aren't they? With lovely colours and petals and a
fragrance to match