Old 29-10-2006, 02:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default Is this group dead or is the other one ?

There seems to be two reg.garden(s).roses one with an S the other without.

This is the one with. No traffic - my ISP has been not pulling from their East nor West
storage sites. They might not have this one re-newed yet.

It has been days for all of the groups... Such is life in times of Blogs and instant messages.
news groups are endangered I fear.

Martin

--
Martin H. Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

Old 29-10-2006, 08:47 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
There seems to be two reg.garden(s).roses one with an S the other
without.

This is the one with. No traffic - my ISP has been not pulling from
their East nor West
storage sites. They might not have this one re-newed yet.

It has been days for all of the groups... Such is life in times of Blogs
and instant messages.
news groups are endangered I fear.

This is an incredibly low traffic newsgroup. When in doubt, check
groups.google.com
rec.gardens has a bit of traffic, but i wouldn't be surprised if the bulk of
the folks have moved to web forums and the like.

-S

Old 29-10-2006, 02:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

"Snooze" wrote in message
.. .
"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
There seems to be two reg.garden(s).roses one with an S the other
without.

This is the one with. No traffic - my ISP has been not pulling from
their East nor West
storage sites. They might not have this one re-newed yet.

It has been days for all of the groups... Such is life in times of Blogs
and instant messages.
news groups are endangered I fear.

This is an incredibly low traffic newsgroup. When in doubt, check
groups.google.com
rec.gardens has a bit of traffic, but i wouldn't be surprised if the bulk
of the folks have moved to web forums and the like.

-S

Really has not much to do with blogs or forums. It's a problem with low
traffic newsgroups that experience infighting. Everyone gets POd and
leaves. Some return eventually. I've seen it happen before in other
newsgroups even before the word "blog" was invented, and before forums were
a big deal.

FWIW I've tried the other methods and still prefer newsgroups. ::shrug::

How are everyone's roses doing? Mine are enjoying the recent rains and
cooler weather. Blooming like mad, and putting out new leaves.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8 USA

Old 29-10-2006, 07:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 13:46:48 GMT, "Gail Futoran"
[snip]

How are everyone's roses doing? Mine are enjoying the recent rains and
cooler weather. Blooming like mad, and putting out new leaves.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8 USA

Mine are shutting down for winter. Marie Pavie's still in bloom, but
she'll close up shop soon, too.

--
brian e. rice (ann arbor, mi/zone 5b to 6a)
[reply to: berice at comcast dot net]
Old 30-10-2006, 02:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Thanks Gail -

I'm new to the group - having moved to Lufkin, TX in deep East Texas
and just got back from the Tyler rose garden. That place was really full
of blooms!

We are still selecting and wishing - but have planted some we got before going
and our Mr. Lincoln is in bloom and another Yellow (hum) is in buds.

We have been way behind in rain, but this month we caught up - or about
I use a 10" that goes down to .01" resolution on all 10 inches. (gloat) -

This month is just about 17 inches - quick add in the head as I put in the latest 2.05".

The grass - native St. Augustine (and others) is weathering it and is now starting to spread,
but it is cooler and will stop that.

I'll post questions from time to time as we are not great rose resources ourselves yet.

Best Regards,
Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member
http://lufkinced.com/

Gail Futoran wrote:
.. .

Old 31-10-2006, 04:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default Welcome & Happy Rose Gardening (was:: Is this group dead or is the other one ?)

[...]

Hi Martin and welcome!

When we moved into our present house in 1995, there was a small rose garden
next to the house. It had about 12 roses. Now only two are left, a Queen
Elizabeth, and a Sweet Inspiration I transplanted into another bed. I got
the rose bug in 1998 and put in my first rose bed on the other side of the
driveway from the original bed. That one had 16 roses. Only one of the
original roses ("Paradise") remains; all the others have been replaced once
or twice or even three times. As you can tell, I had a lot to learn about
roses, and weather.

I'm now the proud (insane?) possessor of about 150 roses, from moderns
(Hybrid Teas, Floribundas, Shrubs) to old garden roses (Bourbons, Noisettes,
Teas, Chinas, Hybrid Perpetuals, etc.), to minis and climbers. Apparently I
like variety in roses.

Dealing with the heat and drought has been the biggest learning curve. I
was following instructions in rose books to water deeply once per week and
couldn't figure out why newly planted roses were dying! A golfing buddy,
who hybridizes her own roses, gave me The Look and said "During hot weather
I water every other day." Oh my! So I learned.

I've got it to a point where I still lose a few roses each year but they
tend to be smaller, weaker roses that I probably shouldn't be growing but I
like their blooms so I try and try again.

I've even moved some roses into pots where I can give them special care, and
several have thrived in pots. Wish I could move them back into beds! If I
were to start all over again, I'd do quite a few things differently. And I
probably wouldn't have as many roses. I do tend to throw myself into
things.

Anyway, I'm no expert but I have learned a lot through experience, and
reading books, and checking online resources, and asking questions.

I hope you continue to post your experiences and questions. There are a few
old regulars who check in on occasion and are good about advice.

Old 31-10-2006, 05:19 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message
I'll post questions from time to time as we are not great rose resources
ourselves yet.

Never trust anyone who claims to be either.

-S

Old 01-11-2006, 12:32 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Greeting to the warm-blooded

You guys and your warm weather! Up in the frozen north we are in the
process of putting ear muffs on our roses. Well not really, I still have a
few blooms, but there is nothing developing and there is talk of snow by the
end of the week. I'm afraid I don't have much to tell about your
conditions, although I've heard that soil pH is a deal in your area. I keep
a close eye on mine (the soil, not my own), trying to have it range between
6 and 6.5. I've read that the south west trends toward alkaline soil. Is
this the case for you? If so, it could affect the release of nutrients from
the soil.

Good luck with your roses. I just renewed my membership in the American
Rose Society. Always a good place to start for info.

Best Regards

jk

Old 01-11-2006, 02:12 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Howdy all -

And thank you for the welcome.

I mentioned that one rose was Mr. Lincoln - but that one is growing - the
one that is blooming is "Don Juan" a nice deep red.

I'm so busy cutting out things at the minute we don't have time to research!
I'm doing fence inserts for a Master Gardener friend of ours.

Take care - here comes the cold front!

Old 02-11-2006, 01:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

This old News Group was once big and strong, then the flame wars came
and burned it out. Unmoderated groups have a hard time that way. Good
folk still drop by occasionally.

Hey Gail, this has been a tough summer for my roses. Just a dozen and
all in pots as I am moving around. Didn't have a clue how to handle
potted roses. The poor things have tried every way to die. With Bayer
Systemic and cool weather setting in they are all looking better. My
cemetary roses, three of them, are doing great. The Cecil Brunner is
blooming like mad, the other NOIDs are growing just fine, hope they are
not from the same bush.
\Joe T

Old 03-11-2006, 04:28 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

"jtill" wrote in message
ups.com...
This old News Group was once big and strong, then the flame wars came
and burned it out. Unmoderated groups have a hard time that way. Good
folk still drop by occasionally.

Agreed.

Hey Gail, this has been a tough summer for my roses. Just a dozen and
all in pots as I am moving around. Didn't have a clue how to handle
potted roses. The poor things have tried every way to die. With Bayer
Systemic and cool weather setting in they are all looking better. My
cemetary roses, three of them, are doing great. The Cecil Brunner is
blooming like mad, the other NOIDs are growing just fine, hope they are
not from the same bush.
\Joe T

Hey Joe -

The thing I remember from growing roses from cuttings, was that during the
winter (or what we get for winter in south TX) I put them into the garage.
In pots they really don't have the protection roses in the ground have. I
think I also watered occasionally, but not much. Depending on how cold it
gets where you are, a shed might also work.

Gail
near San Antonio TX USA Zone 8

Old 03-11-2006, 04:51 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

"Jeffrey L. Kline" wrote in message
Greeting to the warm-blooded

You guys and your warm weather! Up in the frozen north we are in the
process of putting ear muffs on our roses. Well not really, I still have
a few blooms, but there is nothing developing and there is talk of snow by
the end of the week. I'm afraid I don't have much to tell about your
conditions, although I've heard that soil pH is a deal in your area. I
keep a close eye on mine (the soil, not my own), trying to have it range
between 6 and 6.5. I've read that the south west trends toward alkaline
soil. Is this the case for you? If so, it could affect the release of
nutrients from the soil.

Good luck with your roses. I just renewed my membership in the American
Rose Society. Always a good place to start for info.

Best Regards

jk

My soil is very alkaline. Most of my roses grow in raised beds to which I
added a great deal of a local "rose soil" concoction, which is more acidic
than the surrounding soil. Really hardy roses don't care and send their
canes out into the alkaline soil and thrive.

I'm not sure I would have gotten into roses so much if I'd been up north
where winter protection is a real concern. I tend to be a lazy gardener.
My biggest problem here - besides watering during hot, droughty
summers - is weeds. But I guess everyone has that problem.

Interesting that some roses developed for more northern parts of the USA do
well in the south. One of my favorite roses is a Buck rose, Distant Drums.
I have three copies and all are doing well, even thriving in the summer
heat. Weird.

Gail
near San Antoino TX Zone 8

Old 03-11-2006, 10:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

You'd be surprised how little we need to do in the way of winter protection
here in south east Michigan. We are quite near the lake Eire, so we do get
some warming effect. In addition, snow does a lot to protect the roses from
the wind, which is our real enemy. I usually cut my roses back to about 2.5
to 3 feet to reduce the risk of wind damage and then mound them with some
well cured horse manure to about 6 to 10 inches. This works out well, as I
live down the road from a horse farm, so I can get as much as I need, and
living on a couple of acres, I can store it in the back of my property until
its rip. In the spring, I spread the manure around and presto, compose.
The big trick to get grafted roses to survive; bury the knuckle 2 to 4
inches below the soil. It increases the risk of suckers, but it is a small
problem.

Its funny, up here we're forever trying to come up with ways of having
tender roses hang in there for us. I know a lot of rose-heads who sing the
song "only northern hardy for me" but they all has a couple of Kordes
Perfecta, Chrysler Imperials, and Mr. Lincolns in the garden. Those who
don't, often refer to them as "blooms on a stick". For me, they are all
wonderful, and I try to has a few of whatever has a chance of growing in
these area. I'm luck enough to have the space to grow everything from
spices to teas and try to have some of all.

I propagate here by starting my softwood cuttings in the middle to end of
summer, then I winter them under lights in my basement. (I have about 100
starts down there right now.) That way they have a pretty good root system
when I plant them, and the whole summer to dig in before the winter comes
around again. Own root roses seem to work best, as they can freeze back to
the ground and still come back.

Raised beds are nice for areas of clay, which is a problem in the suburbs,
where the builders steal the top soil. The problem is they require more
water and have a little more of a risk of freezing.

Nice to chat with ya. I always look forward to new postings. Its nice to
see what going on in the world of roses outside of the frozen north. (Its 26
degrees right now)

Best Regards
jk South East Michigan, Zone 5

Old 04-11-2006, 03:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default Welcome & Happy Rose Gardening

For our selves - Deep East Texas -
Rivers and lakes here and there - several not far away - Suspect (have to check my old Geology maps
but feel it is river flood deep sandy clay (brown) that was uplifted by a local (~50 miles) uplift
area that turned the area into nominal hills but we do have slope in two directions across the
land we have a house on.

Dear wife just returned with two master gardeners (friends of hers) from the Nurseries of East Texas
just north of Tyler. I spotted 4 roses on the front porch when their van went home to Temple.

I suspect planting will occur soon. :-)

Martin

Google Earth shows all and the other map generation people are starting to display Sat views.

Dead Group Usenet Poster Roses 0 27-02-2014 12:54 AM
This pond group is dead ReelMckoi Ponds 23 20-12-2011 06:07 PM
Matilda is dead too [Was: Dead Dolly] Phred sci.agriculture 1 26-04-2003 01:30 PM
Matilda is dead too [Was: Dead Dolly] Phred sci.agriculture 1 15-02-2003 04:34 PM
Confrontation during anti-logging operation leaves one dead, one injured P van Rijckevorsel alt.forestry 0 21-11-2002 10:52 AM