Old 04-11-2006, 01:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default Texas Beetle

I put in 20 running feet of raised rose beds on my vacation. Went to
Tyler and picked up some real beauties, to include a Blue Skies and
Frontier Twirl. Everyone is doing well, but in the last month or so
I’ve seen a small, emerald green, black spotted beetle. They are the
size of a Ladybug, only elongated instead of circular. Every time I've
seen them, they are very deep into the petals of the flower. Anyone
want to venture a guess as to my little visitor’s identity? I've seen
some damage to some of my blooms, but I'm not sure they are the
culprits. I’ve only seen them on the very fragrant blooms, but that
may be coincidence.
Old 05-11-2006, 01:14 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

"perlbanger" wrote in message
I put in 20 running feet of raised rose beds on my vacation. Went to
Tyler and picked up some real beauties, to include a Blue Skies and
Frontier Twirl. Everyone is doing well, but in the last month or so
I've seen a small, emerald green, black spotted beetle. They are the
size of a Ladybug, only elongated instead of circular. Every time I've
seen them, they are very deep into the petals of the flower. Anyone
want to venture a guess as to my little visitor's identity? I've seen
some damage to some of my blooms, but I'm not sure they are the
culprits. I've only seen them on the very fragrant blooms, but that
may be coincidence.

You might check the following sites to see if you can id the beetle:
http://members.tripod.com/buggyrose/
http://www.rose-roses.com/problems/badinsects.html
http://insects.tamu.edu/images/insects/common/

You can also check a local nursery. They can often id bugs.
By your description it sounds like it might be a cucumber beetle.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 05-11-2006, 05:15 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default Texas Beetle (Western Spotted Cucumber Beetle)

On Sun, 05 Nov 2006 00:14:28 GMT, "Gail Futoran"
wrote:

"perlbanger" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Ok, some one out there hand the little lady a cigar. I went out to the
first site, then googled the scientific name (Diabrotica
undecimpunctata) and found an image of exactly what is eating my
roses. I'll head over to my local nursury tomorrow and ask them what
to do. Good job, Gail.

Thank bunches for the sites. I'll book mark them.

Of topic: my favorite mexican cafe is in San Antonio,
Rosario's Mexican Café y Cantina

910 S. Alamo (78205)
(210) 223-1806

11 a.m. - 3 p.m. Mon | 11 a.m. - 10 p.m. Tues-Thurs
11 a.m. - 11 p.m. Fri-Sat

Thanks again,
Rick
Wylie, TX zone 7/8
Ever been there?

Old 10-11-2006, 03:40 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

wrote:

"perlbanger" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Hi Rick -

Nope, never been to Wylie. I've been to more TX cities and towns in my life
than any other state I've ever been in, but this is a BIG state! I've
heard of Rosarios, but we almost never get to the downtown SA area. When we
do we have a few restaurants we like to go to.

I'm glad the links helped. I had an influx of cucumber beetles this year.
Can't recall what I did, probably ignored them. I usually cross my fingers
and hope the critters will work things out between them.

Gail

Old 11-11-2006, 03:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Just to run into rose stems :-) - Wylie, TX - Must be Collin County (North Texas)
than Taylor County - 'out West' - Guess the 7/8 tells Collin to me.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member
http://lufkinced.com/

Red Lily Beetle Trevor United Kingdom 3 05-06-2003 03:44 PM
Small insect/Beetle D_Mozina Australia 1 05-04-2003 07:36 AM
Lily beetle again Pam Moore United Kingdom 4 24-03-2003 10:32 PM
Interesting item on Tulip Trees and japanese beetle control... ncstockguy North Carolina 0 18-02-2003 03:01 AM
Small insect/Beetle D_Mozina Australia 0 06-02-2003 01:47 AM