Old 15-04-2003, 10:20 PM
purpleme

Default Purple or Lavendar Roses

Do they exist? I have looked online and everything I've found under purple
is really more a mauve. I want something that's a true shade of purple...
TIA

--
Listen to Laura Ingraham on talk radio
www.lauraingraham.com

What I just finished reading:
"The Savage Nation" by Michael Savage

Old 15-04-2003, 11:08 PM
Ann Mansker

purpleme wrote:
: Do they exist? I have looked online and everything I've found under purple
: is really more a mauve. I want something that's a true shade of purple...
: TIA

Simply Marvelous! is a nice light purple. Intrigue, if you have the
climate for it, can be a beautiful rich purple. There is also Bayse's
Purple, which I haven't seen in real life. Also Stephen's Big Purple
which is not to my eye a true purple, but more of a red-violet. However,
a given variety can be different shades in different places or at
different times of the year, so maybe sometimes it's right in there.

Ann M.
--
Well, you can be a tomato ninja if you follow the way of the
tomato. Unfortunately, the tomato never took off as a popular

Old 15-04-2003, 11:08 PM
Shiva

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 16:06:47 -0500, "purpleme"
wrote:

Do they exist? I have looked online and everything I've found under purple
is really more a mauve. I want something that's a true shade of purple...
TIA

International Herald Tribune.
Old 16-04-2003, 01:32 PM
Daniel Hanna

In purpleme wrote:
Do they exist? I have looked online and everything I've found under
purple is really more a mauve. I want something that's a true shade
of purple... TIA

You have a few good choices out the

Big Purple (HT)
The Prince (Austin)
Purple Tiger (Floribunda, striped purple and white)
Mr Lincoln
Charles de Mills

Of the above, I would regard Purple Tiger, The Prince and Mr Lincoln as
having the 'truest' shades. The latter two start red and go purple as
they open, while Purple Tiger is that deep shade all the way through the
bloom life. You mightn't want a striped rose though.
Old 16-04-2003, 02:09 PM
mt2

http://www.rdrop.com/~paul/mosses/nightmoss2.html
http://www.rdrop.com/~paul/austins/prince.html
http://www.rdrop.com/~paul/gallicas/tuscany.html
http://www.country-lane.com/yr/basyes.htm
"purpleme" wrote in message =
Do they exist? I have looked online and everything I've found under =

purple
is really more a mauve. I want something that's a true shade of =

purple...
TIA
=20
=20

Old 16-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Allegra

"purpleme" wrote in message
Do they exist? I have looked online and everything I've found under

purple
is really more a mauve. I want something that's a true shade of purple...
TIA

For climbers that are not lavender but truly violet
you can check Veilchenblau and Violette both of which
are more in the "bluish" side of the spectrum than in the
mauve. With colder winters and cooler summers most
violets stay pretty close to the purples. I have finally and
certainly identified our lavender one as Leila Verde and
because it is so fragrant it gets to stay, although lavender
roses are not particularly known for their strength. Florence
DeLattre planted in front of Reine des Violettes shows the
difference between what I call "violet" or purple versus the
deep magenta of its blossoms as FDL has a gray lavender
of Victorian mourning, but I truly believe that weather and
sun exposure are a tremendous and influential factor when
it comes to the color of these roses.

Allegra

Old 17-04-2003, 03:56 AM
Zphysics1

Intrigue
Purple Splash

Old 18-04-2003, 06:08 AM

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003 21:58:49 +0000 (UTC), Ann Mansker
wrote:

purpleme wrote:
: Do they exist? I have looked online and everything I've found under purple
: is really more a mauve. I want something that's a true shade of purple...
: TIA

Simply Marvelous! is a nice light purple. Intrigue, if you have the
climate for it, can be a beautiful rich purple. There is also Bayse's
Purple, which I haven't seen in real life. Also Stephen's Big Purple
which is not to my eye a true purple, but more of a red-violet. However,
a given variety can be different shades in different places or at
different times of the year, so maybe sometimes it's right in there.

Ann M.

I've got Simply Marvelous growing, and I have to say it looks pink to
me.

Rebecca