Old 01-12-2006, 07:51 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default A rose with perfect timing

So after having attempted to propagate a few roses for the past 2 years with
minimal success. One of the cuttings has sat in a ziplock bag for just under
2 years now. The entire time all it's done is maintain a green stem and
green buds, in a state of not-yet-dead, so it's sat on my dresser the entire
time.

It's nearly winter, half the day my bedroom is cold. So the darn thing
decides it wants to break dormancy and produce a shoot from one of the buds.
Let's see if I can keep the little guy alive in the ziplock bag until
spring.

I don't even know what kind of rose it is either, I just labeled the bag
"lavender."

-S

Old 01-12-2006, 01:08 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

I did some cutting about 7 weeks ago. I clipped a few from all my
favorites, and filled a wet seedling tray. We had enough rain, I never had
to water it, and ended up with about 10 thick rooted cuttings.

:

--

Tom Line

For Fun And Safety In Firearms Sports visit...
--
http://www.bobtuley.com --

Old 02-12-2006, 02:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

ho ho ho!

Just to bad the smart kid down the street can't decode DNA strings and
provide a good match or (dream) a custom splice for a red/white/blue rose
Oh well - one has to live with a rose like that - it might be the best of
the lot!

Martin [ tech enough to help the young mind along the path but not up to it myself ]

Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

Old 02-12-2006, 02:24 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Likewise, we got our new roses finally in the ground and I leave for the
day - drive in ice and rain most of the day, go to a meeting, drive back in ice
and then just spotted rain. Get home and we got 0.7" of rain. Today the
roses are perky and continue to bloom. The ice didn't bother them as yet.

It was a light freeze, but 3 more nights will be sub freezing. But the roses
are off the porch and will last better in the ground at this point.

Martin

Old 02-12-2006, 08:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote in message

Just to bad the smart kid down the street can't decode DNA strings and
provide a good match or (dream) a custom splice for a red/white/blue rose
Oh well - one has to live with a rose like that - it might be the best of
the lot!

If it's the rose I think it is, it's a clone of a home-depot bargain bin
rose in my yard. Nice rose, just a really bad graft. I don't think I'd want
a red/white/blue rose, I like my roses just the way they are, not some
designer disposable rose that can be planted when it's fashionable to wave
the flag or tie a ribbon to a lamp post, and neglected when the cause loses
popularity.

-S

Old 03-12-2006, 01:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default A rose with perfect timing www site to identify

http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/index.php

Just stumbled into this site - might be useful.