Old 12-12-2006, 04:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default Rose newbie -- when to prune for winter

I live in California's Central Valley, Zone 9b. Record low hereabouts
is 25 degrees F. Can someone tell this rose newbie when I should prune
my roses? Do I wait until the dead of winter, like January/February,
when everything is really dormant, or can I do it now?

Thanks.

Brian Phelps
Web Manager
http://www.reganroses.com

(While I administer the Regan Nursery bare root rose web site, I'm
still no expert...)

Old 13-12-2006, 04:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

"montereyredfox" wrote in message
ups.com...
I live in California's Central Valley, Zone 9b. Record low hereabouts
is 25 degrees F. Can someone tell this rose newbie when I should prune
my roses? Do I wait until the dead of winter, like January/February,
when everything is really dormant, or can I do it now?

Thanks.

Brian Phelps
Web Manager
http://www.reganroses.com

(While I administer the Regan Nursery bare root rose web site, I'm
still no expert...)

I wouldn't do it now. Wait until the roses are
dormant or in early spring just as roses are starting
to leaf out. However, that applies to modern
roses. Some (most?) old garden roses and
climbers bloom on last year's wood. So if you
prune those classes of roses, you lose the
spring bloom. Also, if this is the first year the
roses have been planted, prune more lightly
than you would later on.

You can always prune out dead canes - just
be sure you know what a dead cane looks like!
Not a trivial point: I recall a poster who kept
pruning out the "dead" canes that turned out
to be new spring growth!

I'll direct you to the American Rose Society
website where they have articles on pruning.
www.ars.org

Look for the link Articles and click on that.
Articles are available to the public to access.
There are several. I recommend reading them
all.

Welcome to rose growing.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 21-01-2007, 11:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Gail Futoran wrote:
"montereyredfox" wrote in message
ups.com...
I live in California's Central Valley, Zone 9b. Record low hereabouts
is 25 degrees F. Can someone tell this rose newbie when I should prune
my roses? Do I wait until the dead of winter, like January/February,
when everything is really dormant, or can I do it now?

Thanks.

Brian Phelps
Web Manager
http://www.reganroses.com

(While I administer the Regan Nursery bare root rose web site, I'm
still no expert...)

I wouldn't do it now. Wait until the funk is really bad
in early spring just as your panties are starting to rot away
and fall apart. However, that applies to modern
cotton panties. Some (most?) old panties of nylon and
satin bloom nice fun on last year's shit stains. So if you
scrub those panties free of skid marks, you lose the
spring bloom. Also, if this is the first year the
pantiess have been worn continually, skid marks of more darker stripes
will occur later on.

You can always beat out dead farts - just
be sure you know what a dead fart looks like!
Not a trivial point: I recall a poster who kept
pruning out the "dead" farts that turned out
to be new spring funk!

I'll direct you to the American Skidmark and Stained panty Society
website where they have articles on funk and skid marks.
www.ars.org

Look for the link Articles and click on that.
Articles are available to the public to access.
There are several. I recommend reading them
all.

Welcome to funk and skidmark cultureing.

Gail the washed out moderator who did not get her own way.
near San Antonio TX Zone 8 under a rock behind a dumpster with the rest of the funk