Old 13-12-2006, 05:16 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default A rose by any other colour...

There was a yellow rose planted behind my new house when I bought it
last year. The woman next door said it had been there for years,
probably ten. I replanted it in the front yard. The blooms are now
pink. I know this sounds bizarre. Is this possible? What happened?

Old 13-12-2006, 07:43 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

wrote in message
ps.com...
There was a yellow rose planted behind my new house when I bought it
last year. The woman next door said it had been there for years,
probably ten. I replanted it in the front yard. The blooms are now
pink. I know this sounds bizarre. Is this possible? What happened?

It might have reverted to rootstock. Many modern
roses are grafted. One rose - often a species rose -
is the rootstock. The other rose - the one with the
desirable blooms - is the scion.

Sometimes the scion will die and the rootstock will take
over. Some of the rootstock varieties will bloom.
Bloom color is often different between scion &
rootstock.

Another possibility: Some rose bloom colors are
blends - for example, yellow and pink, but showing
as mostly yellow. Planted in different soil type (which
can vary greatly even in one yard), different amount
of sun, different amount or kind of food, water, etc.,
one color might dominate over another.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8 USA

Old 14-12-2006, 01:18 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

My guess - acid in the soil is higher. Some plants are blue to pink,
lime to acid. Maybe this rose and others were living in a cement lime
area and are yellow. Moved out front, get Rose food or acid from trees
or other plant food/nature and turns pink.

Can you say what you did when you planted it ?
Is it next to or under anything ? Oak tree ?

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

Old 15-12-2006, 02:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Thank you both for your kind answers. I didn't know enough about roses
to know any of this. I didn't know what rootstock was.
It was planted right next to the house in the back, very near the
foundation. In the front it's by the mailbox and near an oasis of trees
and oakleaf hydrangeas. It continues to be pink and pink-ish. Thanks
again for your help!

Old 15-12-2006, 03:00 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

wrote in message
oups.com...

Thank you both for your kind answers. I didn't know enough about roses
to know any of this. I didn't know what rootstock was.
It was planted right next to the house in the back, very near the
foundation. In the front it's by the mailbox and near an oasis of trees
and oakleaf hydrangeas. It continues to be pink and pink-ish. Thanks
again for your help!

You're welcome. I agree with Martin's assessment
that since you moved the rose from a more alkaline soil
to a more acidic one, that could well have affected
the color.

If you're inclined to put in more roses, I'd highly
recommend the Ortho series, All About Roses,
easy to find at home improvement stores &
bookstores, and not expensive. Even used copies
have good information.

Old 15-12-2006, 09:20 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

I suspect you have pink Hydrangeas - meaning acid. If you lime around it
it will be blue. Maybe you took high school Chem or Gen Science - litmus paper
uses like chemicals as the plants have.

Rootstock is the roots and it comes up to a joint - like a ball. Above that
is the Rose you bought. The roots provide a good supply of food to the top.
Simply - grafted on.

Martin [ still learning about Roses but has lots of practice on plants ]

Old 23-12-2006, 12:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Gail Futoran wrote:
If you're inclined to put in more roses, I'd highly

recommend the Ortho series, All About Roses,
easy to find at home improvement stores &
bookstores, and not expensive.

Thanks for the tip. I went and got it at Home Depot along with a book
on decking for the guest house, which if we do deck, I can plant roses
around.

It's just what I needed. Thank you!

Old 24-12-2006, 03:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

wrote in message
ups.com...

Gail Futoran wrote:
If you're inclined to put in more roses, I'd highly

recommend the Ortho series, All About Roses,
easy to find at home improvement stores &
bookstores, and not expensive.

Thanks for the tip. I went and got it at Home Depot along with a book
on decking for the guest house, which if we do deck, I can plant roses
around.

It's just what I needed. Thank you!

You're welcome. A deck sounds lovely.

Gail

Old 24-01-2007, 09:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

On Dec 24 2006, 8:53 pm, "Gail Futoran"
wrote:
wrote in oglegroups.com...

Gail Futoran wrote:
If you're inclined to put in more roses, I'd highly
recommend the Ortho series, All About Roses,
easy to find at home improvement stores &
bookstores, and not expensive.

Thanks for the tip. I went and got it at Home Depot along with a book
on decking for the guest house, which if we do deck, I can plant roses
around.

It's just what I needed. Thank you!You're welcome. A deck sounds lovely.

Gail

Old 24-01-2007, 09:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

wrote in ooglegroups.com...