Old 26-12-2006, 08:38 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default ROSES AND FUNGAL DISEASE

I'm fairly new to roses and was wondering if someone could suggest a
variety. I am looking for a good, "Cut Rose" that I can cut and put
in a flower vase in the dining room every so often. I really dont
like to spray for black spot as often as every week. I have a
hybrid tea variety called Chilula (they were out of the Rio Samba
variety - which is what I REALLY LIKED) that i've barely kept alive
in a large pot...Im gonna have to transplant it to a better place in
my raised bed garden. I wondered if the black spot disease could be
eradicated before I transplant it... or should I trash the plant? I
thought about cutting the plant back and spraying it with a chemical
that would kill all the spores.. even thought of a 1:10 bleach
solution on the branches... I dont know... help please... I live in
Texas, near the Dallas area.

Posted with NewsLeecher v3.7 Final
------------------- ----- ---- -- -

Old 27-12-2006, 03:13 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Ortho makes a tall yellow plastic container that has sulfur and a few
things else.

As you thought - a PH shift on these kills most things.

Guessing a lime might but perhaps more harsh base.
Sulfur creates an acid SO2/SO3 or SO4 depending on the others in use.

I'm not an expert - but have been doing things for many years on-off-on-off....

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

Old 27-12-2006, 11:29 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Here in Michigan, we use lime sulfur during the dormant period to kill of
spores. This is not recommended for plants when they are active. I use a
10% bleach solution at work to sterilize equipment, and I think it might be
a ruff if it were applied directly on the plant. There are several products
on the market that are very effective, I would suggest checking out
http://www.rosemania.com/ for some good products. In the long run, you'll
spend less time and money buying a good commercially available product.

Good Luck
Jeff
Michigan, zone 5

"Nevermind" wrote in message
[...]

ROSES AND FUNGAL DISEASE [email protected] Gardening 2 28-12-2006 06:12 AM
Eliminating Fungal Disease [email protected] Gardening 9 01-01-2006 11:58 PM
Fungal Problems Tristan Australia 4 18-07-2003 09:12 AM
Fungal/insect problem with Olive tree? (0/1) news.gtn.net United Kingdom 0 08-05-2003 09:56 PM
what to do with fungal potting mix Salty Thumb of Death Gardening 4 08-03-2003 04:56 PM