GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   what's eating my rose buds? - PIC00051.JPG (0/1) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/roses/15213-whats-eating-my-rose-buds-pic00051-jpg-0-1-a.html)

Bruce Ritchings 16-04-2003 07:56 PM

what's eating my rose buds? - PIC00051.JPG (0/1)

Hello Rose fans,
I've attached a picture of one of my roses for your inspection.
It's pretty clear from the picture (I hope) that something or somebody
is chewing off the tops of the buds, so that they have a "flat-top"
when they come out. Not too appealing! Can anybody tell me what could
possibly be doing this? I live in Encinitas, California, just north of
San Diego, if that will give you any clues. This has got to be
predation by some sort of insect, but I've never seen any bugs on the
plants, at least nothing that could cause such dramatic damage. I
don't see this on all blooms (I've got 75 roses) but I do see it on
quite a few blooms. Could it be grasshoppers? Thanks in advance, Bruce

Allegra 16-04-2003 09:44 PM

"Bruce Ritchings" wrote in message
Hello Rose fans,
I've attached a picture of one of my roses for your inspection.
It's pretty clear from the picture (I hope) that something or somebody
is chewing off the tops of the buds, so that they have a "flat-top"
when they come out. Not too appealing! Can anybody tell me what could
possibly be doing this? I live in Encinitas, California, just north of
San Diego, if that will give you any clues. This has got to be
predation by some sort of insect, but I've never seen any bugs on the
plants, at least nothing that could cause such dramatic damage. I
don't see this on all blooms (I've got 75 roses) but I do see it on
quite a few blooms. Could it be grasshoppers? Thanks in advance, Bruce

Hello Bruce,

Unfortunately there is no way to attach pictures to a news
group. Without it is a gamble to determine what is happening
to your roses. If you have no way to publish them, send it to
me at

and I will be happy to post it for you. Otherwise you can be
a bit more specific about the nature of the damage so everyone
here can offer their two cents opinion hoping to help you out.

Allegra

Bruce Ritchings 18-04-2003 09:56 PM

what's eating my rose buds? - PIC00051.JPG (0/1)

Thanks, Allegra, I'm sending you an email. Bruce

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 19:34:44 GMT, "Allegra"