Old 21-01-2007, 09:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default Moving - how do I take a rose with me?

We're possibly going to be moving in the next 2 weeks (it's January 21
as I write this)

I have a rose that is a family heirloom; it's been passed down for 4
generations via cuttings or diggings, and it's quite important that I
keep this plant. It has *huge* sentimental value.

Some of you may remember it; the story is at:
http://huskies4all.blogspot.com/2005...-rosebush.html

SO, what's the best method for me to move this rose and have it
survive? As of now, there are about 6 canes that are coming up from
the ground.

Should I dig the whole sucker up and move it?
Should I separate all those canes into individual plants?
Should I replant it now? (hard, frozen ground)
Should I store it?
How do I store it?

Help!!

Old 21-01-2007, 09:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

I also forgot to ask:

Should I prune it back? How far?

Old 21-01-2007, 11:49 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

"huskies4all" wrote in message
ups.com...
We're possibly going to be moving in the next 2 weeks (it's January
21
as I write this)

I have a rose that is a family heirloom; it's been passed down for 4
generations via cuttings or diggings, and it's quite important that
keep this plant. It has *huge* sentimental value.

Some of you may remember it; the story is at:
http://huskies4all.blogspot.com/2005...-rosebush.html

SO, what's the best method for me to move this rose and have it
survive? As of now, there are about 6 canes that are coming up from
the ground.

Should I dig the whole sucker up and move it?

Yes. See below.

Should I separate all those canes into individual plants?

Ah - no? From your blog description (nicely
written, by the way!), it sounds like some
variety of old garden rose, and some of those
can/do propagate by runners. But roses I'm
familar with all come from one "stem" so
there's nothing to separate. Better to keep
it all together, I think.

Should I replant it now? (hard, frozen ground)

Ah - no. As a general rule, rose bushes
should be planted when the ground is warm
enough to work. Definitely not while frozen.

Should I store it?
How do I store it?

Help!!

Dig it up. Take as much of a root ball as you
can, but that probably won't be much. Put it in
a large plastic pot (light enough for you to
handle without killing yourself), top off with
potting soil (no fertilizer). It should be dormant
or nearly dormant now so it should be ok in a
pot until you're ready to plant it in the ground, or
you can even keep it in the pot for awhile. Maybe
let it re-establish itself in the pot, then plant it in the
ground when you feel it's healthy again. I've
done that with several roses.

Don't let the soil dry out, but don't keep it
soaking wet. I always use pots with drain
holes. It can stay in a shed or garage while
the outside temps are really cold, but it
should be exposed to sun, especially if/when
it starts to leaf out. Roses require sun.

Do prune it back. The usual rule is prune
back the top about as much as you pruned
the roots when you dug it up. I prune back
as much as I need to be able to handle
a rose bush.

HTH - Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8 USA

Old 23-01-2007, 11:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Good suggestions Gail, just like they suggest it in the books.

I have split roots balls of old worlds, as well as rogosa, but I'm not sure
if doing that will increase or decrease the likelihood of a positive
outcome. I usually decide base on the presents or absent of a "tap root".
I know, they say roses don't have true tap roots, but you know what I mean.
If the root formation is based on a single, large root with feeders
branching from it, I wouldn't split it. It, on the other hand, it is more
ball-like, with clear runners, I might cut of a chunk and pot it. It
shouldn't effect the main plant and it might offer a chance at a second
plant.

Other than that, I guess you might consider a root stimulating product when
you plant it. When I buy roses in a bag, I have better luck getting then to
make it through its first Michigan winter if I use some.

Best regards, and think spring.

Jeff Southeast Michigan, zone 5

Old 24-01-2007, 04:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

"Jeffrey L. Kline" wrote in message
news
Good suggestions Gail, just like they suggest it in the books.

I have split roots balls of old worlds, as well as rogosa, but I'm
not sure if doing that will increase or decrease the likelihood of a
positive outcome. I usually decide base on the presents or absent
of a "tap root". I know, they say roses don't have true tap roots,
but you know what I mean. If the root formation is based on a
single, large root with feeders branching from it, I wouldn't split
it. It, on the other hand, it is more ball-like, with clear
runners, I might cut of a chunk and pot it. It shouldn't effect the
main plant and it might offer a chance at a second plant.

I know what you mean by a tap root, but
couldn't think how to describe it to the OP!
I once helped a friend prune an old old
rose and it spread by runners. That's about
the only kind I'd be willing to split. I think
that fits your description of a ball-like root
structure with runners.

Other than that, I guess you might consider a root stimulating
product when you plant it. When I buy roses in a bag, I have better
luck getting then to make it through its first Michigan winter if I
use some.

I usually recommend seaweed, if the OP can
find it. It's a natural root stimulator. But
any root stimulator used according to label
would probably help. When I plant or
transplant roses, I also add some triple
superphosphate in the planting hole. Bone
meal would also work, I believe. But no
other fertilizer until the rose is growing again.

Best regards, and think spring.

Jeff Southeast Michigan, zone 5

We're getting lots of rain which our roses
love. Not too much cold, so recently
transplanted roses should do ok.

Gail F.
near San Antonio TX Zone 8 USA

Old 25-01-2007, 07:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Thank you all for the great information! I will follow your
instructions when I move, and hopefully the plant will live. It is
quite dormant right now, with not much hint of any sort of life (If I
didn't know better, it'd look dead to me) so hopefully that will
increase it's chances. Should be fun trying to get it out of the
ground. Not only is it hard and frozen, the rose has absolutely
terrifying deadly daggers instead of thorns. It's also about 10 feet
tall at the moment, so there will be some sort of cutting back just to
make it manageable.

Old 26-01-2007, 03:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

"huskies4all" wrote in message
ps.com...
Thank you all for the great information! I will follow your
instructions when I move, and hopefully the plant will live. It is
quite dormant right now, with not much hint of any sort of life (If
didn't know better, it'd look dead to me) so hopefully that will
increase it's chances. Should be fun trying to get it out of the
ground. Not only is it hard and frozen, the rose has absolutely
terrifying deadly daggers instead of thorns. It's also about 10
feet
tall at the moment, so there will be some sort of cutting back just
make it manageable.

I don't envy you that task. I think I could manage
the bush (with heavy pruning beforehand); I'm not
sure about the frozen ground part.

We recently moved a 10' or so shrub but our
ground wasn't frozen. I pruned the heck out of
it, keeping several canes about 3' tall. A week
later I'm seeing some leaf buds coming out. Yah!!
One of the advantages of living in Zone 8.
Naturally I'm trying my darnest to move to
Zone 5 or 6.

Let us know how it goes.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 31-01-2007, 09:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

On Jan 26, 8:37 am, "Gail Futoran"
wrote:

"huskies4all" wrote in message
ps.com...
It's also about 10 feet
tall at the moment, so there will be some sort of cutting back just
to make it manageable.

I don't envy you that task. I think I could manage
the bush (with heavy pruning beforehand); I'm not
sure about the frozen ground part.

Our move date got moved back to a week from this coming Saturday
(house isn't ready yet) so I still have some time. I did make a
website for the rose, 'cuz I'm a nerd like that ;-) So if anyone's
interesed, its http://huskies4all.googlepages.com/rose - it has some
much more current pictures, though not any of it right now at it's
"height" of growth. I plan on documenting this move with pics and
pages, so it may have some more stuff later!

CJ

Old 01-02-2007, 03:39 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

"huskies4all" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jan 26, 8:37 am, "Gail Futoran"
wrote:

"huskies4all" wrote in message
ps.com...
It's also about 10 feet
tall at the moment, so there will be some sort of cutting back
just
to make it manageable.

I don't envy you that task. I think I could manage
the bush (with heavy pruning beforehand); I'm not
sure about the frozen ground part.

Our move date got moved back to a week from this coming Saturday
(house isn't ready yet) so I still have some time. I did make a
website for the rose, 'cuz I'm a nerd like that ;-) So if anyone's
interesed, its http://huskies4all.googlepages.com/rose - it has some
much more current pictures, though not any of it right now at it's
"height" of growth. I plan on documenting this move with pics and
pages, so it may have some more stuff later!

CJ

Nice photos. Those blooms look really familiar,
but I can't place them. Maybe one of the old
garden roses? Do keep us informed. Given
your previous success bringing the bush back
from the "dead", I suspect you'll be equally
successful in this move!