Old 17-04-2003, 11:44 PM
Allegra

Default The great, late Graham Thomas

I just received a note from a gardening friend in the UK
informing me of the passing of Graham Stuart Thomas.

"It is with great sadness that I must share the news of Graham's passing,
during the night of April 16th. I feel a great sense of personal loss which,
know, will be shared by you. We have lost a great friend, all of us rose
lovers."

He was in his 90s and still as involved with roses as he had always been.
A great man to whom much is owed in this world for his constant
interest and perseverance in the cultivation of roses. I for one, will mourn
the passing of this valuable teacher, a gentleman of the old school who
shared with us all in ways we will never know perhaps the true value
of cultivating beauty to leave as the only truly valuable legacy to those
who will come after us.

Allegra

Old 18-04-2003, 01:32 AM
Darlin' Sweet Cheeks

He'll be missed, but what a heritage he leaves behind. Not just roses
either; his book on perennials is a wonder.

I'll raise a glase in front of my Graham Thomas tonight. It's just
starting its glorious display of yellow bloom.

--v

Old 18-04-2003, 06:08 AM
Mike

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003, "Allegra" wrote:
I just received a note from a gardening friend in the UK
informing me of the passing of Graham Stuart Thomas.

"It is with great sadness that I must share the news of Graham's passing,
during the night of April 16th. I feel a great sense of personal loss which,
know, will be shared by you. We have lost a great friend, all of us rose
lovers."

He was in his 90s and still as involved with roses as he had always been.
A great man to whom much is owed in this world for his constant
interest and perseverance in the cultivation of roses. I for one, will mourn
the passing of this valuable teacher, a gentleman of the old school who
shared with us all in ways we will never know perhaps the true value
of cultivating beauty to leave as the only truly valuable legacy to those
who will come after us.

Allegra

That is very sad news. There's a short list of names that immediately
spring to mind when I think of great rosarians, and his is one of them. His
contributions to our mutual passion were enormous and invaluable. I can't
add anything more meaningful to what you've already expressed. It is a
great loss that cannot be replaced.

Mike
z8TX

Old 27-04-2003, 06:32 PM
Jane Lumley

What a shame. At least he had a long good life. My bush is just
starting leaves in zone 5, but I'll remember him as long as it lives.
They do say we're not really dead till nobody remembers us.

My Graham Thomas rose is just budding now, and I also remember him when
I look at many others for his wise words about them all. God just took
on a pretty good helper in the garden of paradise.....

--
Jane Lumley

Graham Fibbed! Dave Gillingham Orchid Photos 0 23-04-2007 10:00 AM
How late is too late? FBCS Ponds 12 29-08-2003 01:04 AM
And speaking of Graham Thomas, the rose, not the man... dave weil Roses 3 15-05-2003 11:08 PM
OT - for Graham Fendle Sacha United Kingdom 2 12-05-2003 11:20 PM