Old 14-02-2007, 09:22 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default Newbie

Hi,

Nice to see a forum dedicated to roses!!!

I just planted my first roses. Some I bought rooted (bare or with soil) and
they seem to be fine. But I also planted a few (quite a lot to be honest!)
cuttings that someone passed to me. The sucees rate of the cuttings seems to
be around 40% and lets hope it does not drop.

I heard that cuttings are not the best way to propagate roses because they
tend to degenerate and not look like its parent. Is this true? If the
problem is there but not very severe (i am not going to be in official
competitions!) is there any way of improving success rate? What is the best
way to propagate those roses that you really love?

I think grafting is a good solution, but I do not think I have the skills
) but I can learn!

Thanks! I might be a newbie in planting roses, but not in loving them!

Zone 9.

Old 14-02-2007, 03:33 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

"P Alves" alves###paulo@gmail#com wrote in message
Hi,

Nice to see a forum dedicated to roses!!!

I just planted my first roses. Some I bought rooted (bare or with
soil) and they seem to be fine. But I also planted a few (quite a
lot to be honest!) cuttings that someone passed to me. The sucees
rate of the cuttings seems to be around 40% and lets hope it does
not drop.

Congrats on your new passion. It's addictive.
I've had similar success with cuttings, so you're
doing well for a newbie.

I heard that cuttings are not the best way to propagate roses
because they tend to degenerate and not look like its parent. Is
this true?

It really depends on the variety. Minis and
old garden roses, which grow on own roots
anyway, don't have that problem. Some
moderns can be propagated from cuttings,
others not. You just have to try and see
what happens.

If the
problem is there but not very severe (i am not going to be in
official competitions!) is there any way of improving success rate?
What is the best way to propagate those roses that you really love?

First, understand that most modern roses
are patented, which means you're not
supposed to propagate them. That said, I'm
not the rose police, and what you do in
your own yard is your business, not mine.
I'm just mentioning it.

Second, cuttings are very quick to dry
out. Whenever I've propagated by
cuttings I've kept the "babies" in partial
shade and spritzed them with water. Some
people make a plastic tent to keep them
damp. Check out articles on propagation
at the American Rose Society web site:
www.ars.org

You're in an even hotter zone than I am,
so keeping the cuttings from drying out is
a priority.

Third, patience is the key. I've kept
some cuttings in pots for a year before
planting in the ground, other cuttings
got planted within about 3 months. Again,
it depends on the variety.

I think grafting is a good solution, but I do not think I have the
skills ) but I can learn!

Solution to...?? Roses aren't that
expensive, considering how they long
they can live.

Thanks! I might be a newbie in planting roses, but not in loving
them!

Zone 9.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 15-02-2007, 12:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Welcome aboard

Check-out my posting on own-root and grafted roses. I've done both and I
can tell you, grafting has its own set of problems. If you are really
interested, check out Steve Singer's website
http://www.wiroses.com/index.php He sells rootstock, maiden roses (freshly
grafted), as well as a video on how to do "T" bud grafting. Unless you want
to grow your own rootstock, Rosa Multiflora or Dr. Huey are the two most
popular, it may be just as cheap to buy mature plants from the nursery. I
find if I look around after the spring rush, I can find really good deals,
often paying much less than $10 for very nice plants.

I agree with Gail about own root. I keep mine, (which of course are only
started from roses that are off-patent ;) ) in the bag for at least 6
weeks, or until they have a very well developed root system to reduce the
risk of desiccation. As I live in the icy north, I winter mine over inside,
take them outdoors in a protected area in April and then plant them in late
May, after they have toughened up a bit and the risk of frost as passed.

Good luck with your new obsession. They can be a source of great pleasure
as well as frustration. But then, if you wanted easy, you'd be growing
dandy lions.

Jeff Southeast Michigan, Zone 5

Old 18-02-2007, 07:00 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Hi,

Thanks for your help.

I should start to get ready to see my cuttings die, because I planted them
directly in the soil and the weather is getting pretty warm... I will try to
prevent them from getting dry.

Thanks again

Old 19-02-2007, 05:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

"Jeffrey L. Kline" wrote in message
. net...
Tent them, My dad used to use a jar!

"P Alves" alves###paulo@gmail#com wrote in message
Hi,

Thanks for your help.

I should start to get ready to see my cuttings die, because I
planted them directly in the soil and the weather is getting pretty
warm... I will try to prevent them from getting dry.

Thanks again

I don't think that's necessarily the case (that
your cuttings will start to die). In mentioning
that I keep my cuttings in pots and let them
develop before planting them in the ground,
I was describing *my* experience, but I also
noted others handle it differently. I presented
my experience as one *option* you might
consider if your method does not work.

That is how we learn.

As Jeffrey Kline noted, you can always
tent your cuttings in place.

I had provided a link to the American
Rose Society www.ars.org where there
exist free to the public several articles on
propagation. I haven't read them in awhile
but I seem to recall they present different
methods of propagating. You might find
the articles useful, or not. Your choice.

The neat thing about free advice is that
you are free to ignore it if it doesn't work
for you.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8 USA

Old 20-02-2007, 01:49 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

"Jeffrey L. Kline" wrote in message
. net...
Tent them, My dad used to use a jar!

Hi, I'm new to this group and love roses. Most non-minis have succumbed to
disease (mainly black spot) so we are only growing minis now .

What time of year is best to root rose cutting from these minis in zone 6?
We have several and would like to increase the number. We also own a small
hobby greenhouse.

Are there any affordable disease free roses out there?

Thanks

Old 20-02-2007, 10:48 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

I usually start my cuttings after the first bloom, when the blooms have
died-back and the stem is beginning to harden just a bit. I like to cut the
stem so there are at least 3 or 4 sets of full leaves, with the stem about
the diameter of a pencil. Of course, with mini roses, you may not get a
stem quite that size, but you get the idea. I winter mine indoors, so I
what till august. If you are going to plant them outside the same year, I
might start sooner.

As far as disease free roses, any of the care-free group are good, as are
many old world and rugosa. Really there are many rose that are low
maintenance, however, they often have simpler bloom forms, which are not
always what people want. you could check out
http://www.pickeringnurseries.com/tw.../web_store.cgi, go to the

Best of luck

Old 23-02-2007, 08:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

[...]

Thank you for the information. Yes, we have two that they sold us as disease
resistant and they are! One blooms all summer and the other on and off.
Unfortunately they went out of business when the wife died. We got them 1/2
price because the tags were missing. I will do some research on Google or
Yahoo.

I'll try the cutting of the minis this summer.

Old 23-02-2007, 09:14 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

[...]

the advanced search option, and select disease resistant roses.

Best of luck

Jeff Southeast Michigan, zone 5

Thank you for the information. Yes, we have two that they sold us as
disease resistant and they are! One blooms all summer and the other
on and off. Unfortunately they went out of business when the wife
died. We got them 1/2 price because the tags were missing. I will
do some research on Google or Yahoo.

I'll try the cutting of the minis this summer.

[snip]

In case no one has mentioned this
before, a good place to search roses is
www.helpmefind.com

Not all roses have photos but quite a few
do, and you can do an advanced search
on various categories (color, bloom type,
etc.).

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8 USA

NEWBIE HELP: How to seed? Nick Thudick Gardening 6 01-04-2003 08:44 PM
Newbie Noela Orchids 1 31-03-2003 06:20 AM
Newbie here - Easiest to grow orchid in NW IN pagan Orchids 8 05-02-2003 04:11 PM
Newbie Q: Baby spinach Irving Kimura Edible Gardening 4 04-02-2003 02:43 AM
Newbie question Buridan Bonsai 3 26-01-2003 07:53 PM