Old 18-04-2003, 03:56 PM
Susan H. Simko

Default Breaking Dormancy...

How long does it normally take for a rose to break dormancy once
planted? I bought a box J&P Pristine from Lowes two weeks ago and she
has yet to break dormancy. The pith of the canes look fine once the
dead ends were cut off. I'm stumped and impatient especially now that I
have a J&P sale catalog at home. *grin* Do I SP her and order a new
Pristine from J&P? I want Pristine because this is one of my
"embankment" roses and I like the looks of her thorns. She'll be able
to defend herself from marauding children. Heck, she got me *good* just
trying to get the current one into the ground!

Shiva, my newest DD is sporting a bud. I'll take some pictures as it
gets closer to blooming. I'm planning on using the test web server I am
currently working on as my garden website. *smile* Sometimes there are
some distinct advantages to being a web administrator. The web server
is already up and running I'm working on the content management system
right now. Once that's done, if anyone wants me to, I can post other
people's pictures there also. (In my most optimistic mode, I would love
to be able to open it up so other people can do it themsevles. Like I
said, I'm being wildly optimistic at the moment.)

Susan
s h simko at duke dot edu

Old 18-04-2003, 03:56 PM
Theo Asir

Relax Susan,

When the soild temp is around 40 F the
roses tend to concentrate on growing roots.

This is a good thing.

When warm weather comes along
it will be raring to go.

--
Theo in Zone 5
Kansas City

Old 18-04-2003, 05:32 PM
Susan H. Simko

Theo Asir wrote:

When the soild temp is around 40 F the
roses tend to concentrate on growing roots.

I'm in zone 7 and the night time temps have been above 40 for the past
week let alone the daytime temps. Week before it was riany and cool but
I still think the daytime temps were over 40.

This is a good thing.

Roots=Good Most definitely. *smile*

When warm weather comes along it will be raring to go.

I think that's why I expected to see *something* this past week.
*smile* Everyone else has buds all over and the new DD in the front bed
is getting bigger every day. She was put in at the beginning of last
month while I was out of town. When I returned, less than two weeks
after she went in, there were basal shoots all over!

Susan
s h simko at duke dot edu

Old 18-04-2003, 05:44 PM
Shiva

On Fri, 18 Apr 2003 09:43:21 -0400, "Susan H. Simko"
wrote:

How long does it normally take for a rose to break dormancy once
planted?

Although ten or so are leafing out nicely, two of my BIG GORGEOUS S&W
Greenhouse bareroots are just beginning to sprout. I think it depends
on the rose variety, and certainly how you are caring for the rose.
Keeping it moist with a daily soak of the soil and spray of the canes?
Lightly mounding with pine straw to keep the canes from drying out?

I bought a box J&P Pristine from Lowes two weeks ago and she
has yet to break dormancy. The pith of the canes look fine once the
dead ends were cut off.

These roses are usually busting out of their boxes. Tell me, did you
leave yours in the box, and if so, was the box already breaking down
from being watered, or not? Many people recommend removing these roses
from the box, and I think that makes sense. But every one I have
planted was in a box that was falling apart since I took too long
planting it. G

I'm stumped and impatient especially now that I
have a J&P sale catalog at home. *grin*

Susan--go to the S&W Greenhouse site and look. Prices are better and I
can vouch for the BIG HEALTHY plants. They might be shipping only
potted now, though.

Also--consider trying some ownroots. I LOVE Roses Unlimited, though
they have no online ordering. You pay via check and order via
telephone. But WONDERFUL plants! Also--Muncy's Rose Emporium, out of
Florida. I really like Ken and Susie Muncy. The roses arrive packed
kind of funky but they are very healthy and grow big fast! (We are
fast getting out of bare root season. Once it gets hot here it is too
hard to baby them, and they dry out too fast. Plus, everyone in the
world around here carried J&P! Try Buchanan's on Western Blvd almost
to Cary. They have a HUGE herd of J&P and Weeks roses, all very
healthy, all 13.99-20.00 dollars. Everything else there is overpriced
this year, but the roses are good! I SAW pristine there, too!

Shiva, my newest DD is sporting a bud. I'll take some pictures as it
gets closer to blooming. I'm planning on using the test web server I am
currently working on as my garden website. *smile* Sometimes there are
some distinct advantages to being a web administrator. The web server
is already up and running I'm working on the content management system
right now. Once that's done, if anyone wants me to, I can post other
people's pictures there also. (In my most optimistic mode, I would love
to be able to open it up so other people can do it themsevles. Like I
said, I'm being wildly optimistic at the moment.)

This all sounds wonderful, and I can't wait!!

Susan
s h simko at duke dot edu

Old 19-04-2003, 07:20 AM
Daniel Hanna

In Susan H. Simko wrote:
How long does it normally take for a rose to break dormancy once
planted? I bought a box J&P Pristine from Lowes two weeks ago and she
has yet to break dormancy. The pith of the canes look fine once the
dead ends were cut off. I'm stumped and impatient especially now that
I have a J&P sale catalog at home. grin Do I SP her and order a new
Pristine from J&P?

Susan, you will have the answer to this in your own rose bed. If the
remainder of roses you planted are all well into foliage and buds, and
your Pristine hasn't shown a sign, you have a fizzer.

I am aware that some roses are earlier starters than others, but in the
average garden they do tend to sprout from naked to growth within a few
weeks of each other. Unless you have some other factor, eg the late
bush is in deep shade.

Go get a new one and forget waiting for the one you have. If you want
to give the Pristine the benefit of the doubt, pot the current one. You
never know.
Old 20-04-2003, 11:44 PM
FOW

My Roses are already in full leaves and some have over 100 2 in. buds on
them My Taboo is 7 ft tall !

Old 21-04-2003, 04:44 PM
Susan H. Simko

Shiva wrote:

Although ten or so are leafing out nicely, two of my BIG GORGEOUS S&W
Greenhouse bareroots are just beginning to sprout. I think it
depends on the rose variety, and certainly how you are caring for the
rose. Keeping it moist with a daily soak of the soil and spray of the
canes? Lightly mounding with pine straw to keep the canes from drying
out?

Pristine broke dormancy this weekend! I guess she knew she was in
trouble when she saw the potted Granada sitting on the patio and finally
decided it was time to quit playing around.

These roses are usually busting out of their boxes. Tell me, did you
leave yours in the box, and if so, was the box already breaking down
from being watered, or not? Many people recommend removing these
roses from the box, and I think that makes sense. But every one I
have planted was in a box that was falling apart since I took too
long planting it. G

Pristine was dry when I got her which is probably why she was so cheap.
Since the mulch fell away from the roots when I opened the box, I
descided to treat it as a bare root. I soaked her for a little over 24
hours before putting her in the ground.

Susan--go to the S&W Greenhouse site and look. Prices are better and
I can vouch for the BIG HEALTHY plants. They might be shipping only
potted now, though.

I actually went down to Witherspoon on Friday with the intention of
buying a bare root Pristine from them. I decided to wander through
their greenhouses before which is when I stumbled on a potted Granada
with a bud just about ready to open. I looked at the colours on the bud
and was a goner. She is now planted up against the house and next to
the patio. The s.o. hasn't noticed the newest addition yet... *grin*

Also--consider trying some ownroots. I LOVE Roses Unlimited, though
they have no online ordering. You pay via check and order via
telephone. But WONDERFUL plants! Also--Muncy's Rose Emporium, out of
Florida. I really like Ken and Susie Muncy. The roses arrive packed
kind of funky but they are very healthy and grow big fast! (We are
fast getting out of bare root season. Once it gets hot here it is too
hard to baby them, and they dry out too fast. Plus, everyone in the
world around here carried J&P! Try Buchanan's on Western Blvd almost
to Cary. They have a HUGE herd of J&P and Weeks roses, all very
healthy, all 13.99-20.00 dollars. Everything else there is overpriced
this year, but the roses are good! I SAW pristine there, too!

The Granada I bought from Witherspoon is a Weeks rose. I think I paid
around $15.00 for her. I also finally broke down and bought a thorn
stripper for my cut roses. I don't know if I'll use it or not but it
was inexpensive so I figured I would try it.

I want to explore some own root roses. I do have at least one as it is
apparently a rooted cutting from one of the mystery roses. One of the
two I'm most interested in identifying has a bud that is getting ready
to bloom any day now. The colour is almost incandescent and is a rich
coral. The dark red mystery rose has yet to even put out a bud. That
one is *so* fussy and really got knocked back by the late frost whereas
the coral coloured one didn't even blink - just kept on throwing out
leaves and new canes.

I'm seriously thinking about putting up a trellis in the backyard and
putting in some climbers. However, I think it would be best for me to
see how the lilacs come in first as I would like to put the trellis
behind them and I don't know how much they'll interfere with the light.
Right now I have a shallow U shaped planting with gradenias and lilacs
and I want to put a small ornamental pond in the basin of the U. A
trellis behind everything would provide some privacy from the neighbor's
house.

Oh well, back to work on my test server. It's getting closer to being
done but then I have to start working on web pages. I really ought to
take some film to be developed also so I have some additional pictures
to choose from for the site.... *smile*

Susan
s h simko at duke dot edu

Old 21-04-2003, 07:20 PM
Cass

Susan H. Simko wrote:

I actually went down to Witherspoon on Friday with the intention of
buying a bare root Pristine from them. I decided to wander through
their greenhouses before which is when I stumbled on a potted Granada
with a bud just about ready to open. I looked at the colours on the bud
and was a goner. She is now planted up against the house and next to
the patio. The s.o. hasn't noticed the newest addition yet... *grin*

The Granada I bought from Witherspoon is a Weeks rose.

I bought a Weeks Granada potted at the Despot in a 2 gallon pot. That
darned thing is now 3 x 3 and has to go in the ground ASAP, finished
its first flush and headed for the second. The growth is so lush it
makes me wonder how big it's going to get. Too big for a pot, that's
for sure.
Old 21-04-2003, 07:44 PM
Shiva

On Mon, 21 Apr 2003 10:39:28 -0400, "Susan H. Simko"
wrote:

Pristine broke dormancy this weekend! I guess she knew she was in
trouble when she saw the potted Granada sitting on the patio and finally
decided it was time to quit playing around.

Well, "Yippee!" on both counts!

Pristine was dry when I got her which is probably why she was so cheap.
Since the mulch fell away from the roots when I opened the box, I
descided to treat it as a bare root. I soaked her for a little over 24
hours before putting her in the ground.

You have very good instincts! I understand Pristine is a really lovely
rose. I have been tempted to get it, but have not yet. Keep me posted
on how it goes.

I actually went down to Witherspoon on Friday with the intention of
buying a bare root Pristine from them. I decided to wander through
their greenhouses before which is when I stumbled on a potted Granada
with a bud just about ready to open. I looked at the colours on the bud
and was a goner.

The buds are so gorgeous. Raspberry and Lemon-Orange sherbet. I cannot
wait until you see it open. The substance is so good--nice thick,
ruffly petals that open in a perfect, high-centered spiral if you cut
it just when the sepals flex. Otherwise it opensdifferently, but is
still so beautiful. And the fragrance!! Really, my favorite rose. I
have three and one is budding this minute.

Is Witherspoon great? I have never physically been there, just ordered
bare root roses, and thought they were overpriced.