Old 19-04-2003, 01:20 AM
Treedude and Breezy

Default No Growth and....

I have 4 Roses that I planted well over a month ago.All my other roses
have produced blooms and are doing well except for these 4
(Sunsprite,Garden Party,Tiffany and Simply Irresistible).There appears
to be no growth on them at all.I pruned them back just a bit after I
bought them and done everything I was supposed to do and still to no
avail.Do I just give them time? Replant somewhere else? They get at
least 6-7 hrs of sun a day and plenty of water (with good
drainage).Disease-free so far.Any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.

Question #2---My neighbor has 2 different rose bushes (types unknown but
I think they are HT's) that have been neglected for several years.She
offered them to me the other day.Can I successfully dig them up and
transplant them? Should I prune it back,it's all scraggly and leggy?

I am in Central Florida-zone 9.

Thank-you for all your advice and suggestions.

~Breezy~

Old 19-04-2003, 11:20 PM
Unique Too

(Treedude and Breezy) writes:

I have 4 Roses that I planted well over a month ago.All my other roses
have produced blooms and are doing well except for these 4
(Sunsprite,Garden Party,Tiffany and Simply Irresistible).There appears
to be no growth on them at all.I pruned them back just a bit after I
bought them and done everything I was supposed to do and still to no
avail.Do I just give them time? Replant somewhere else? They get at
least 6-7 hrs of sun a day and plenty of water (with good
drainage).Disease-free so far.Any suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.

Were these bare root roses or potted? No leaves or budeyes starting or no new
leaves and stems?
If they were bare roots I would probably assume they weren't going to come out
of dormancy. This time of year is difficult to start bare roots in Florida,
it's already hot and the canes dry out too easily without any leaves to protact
them. Especially in full sun for 6-7 hours a day.
For future reference, when I start a bareroot I always do so in a pot so I can
keep it in partial sun. Plus I mound mulch or loose soil up to the top of the
plant and mist them daily. Keep them this way for several weeks until new
growth has started. Then I wash away the mulch a little at a time and still
leave them in partial shade. Only when they acheive a significant amount of
new growth do I start moving them into more sunlight.
All that said, if they were potted and just haven't put out any new growth, I'd
leave them awhile. They are getting their roots started and don't have the
extra energy for new leaves right now.

Question #2---My neighbor has 2 different rose bushes (types unknown but
I think they are HT's) that have been neglected for several years.She
offered them to me the other day.Can I successfully dig them up and
transplant them? Should I prune it back,it's all scraggly and leggy?

Yes, they can be moved. When my neighbor offered me an overgrown rose I cut it
back to almost bare root size and treated it the same as I described above. In
the winter months they can be moved without all the protection, but your best
chance for survival this time of year is to treat it very carefully.

Julie.