Old 11-03-2007, 02:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default Fish Emulsion as a fertilizer and black spot readies

How is fish emulsion as fertilizer? I am looking for a liquid fertilizer to
use on my hybrid teas and old garden roses..

What is a good black spot ready. Some of my old garden roses seem like they
are prone to black spot. Is there a plant food that I can mix with the
liquid fertilizer that will stop the plants from getting black spot?

Thanks

Al

Old 11-03-2007, 11:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

"Al" wrote in message

How is fish emulsion as fertilizer? I am looking for a liquid
fertilizer to use on my hybrid teas and old garden roses..

It's a commonly recommended rose
fertilizer. Just follow label instructions.

What is a good black spot ready. Some of my old garden roses seem
like they are prone to black spot. Is there a plant food that I can
mix with the liquid fertilizer that will stop the plants from
getting black spot?

Black spot needs to be sprayed. I don't
know of any food that will stop it. There
are organic solutions. Some black spot
solutions (sprays, I think) can be harmful or
even deadly to some old garden rose
varieties, so for anything except modern
roses, you might want to do some research
before spraying.

The American Rose Society web site
has a bunch of articles accessible by
the public. There is probably an
article or two on dealing with black spot.
www.ars.org

Look for the link hidden under the
word Articles somewhere in the lower
half of the front page.

My roses get little black spot and I don't
worry about what they do get, so I don't
spray, but that's partly (I think) due to
where I live - lots of sun, not too humid.

Thanks

Al

Good luck!

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Is it ok to mix BT, Rotenone, and fish emulsion in the same sprayer? kenny Edible Gardening 3 29-05-2004 08:03 PM
Fish Emulsion and Osmocote Penny Morgan Edible Gardening 0 18-06-2003 09:44 PM
Fish Emulsion. Huskies4all Roses 5 24-03-2003 04:56 AM
OT Raleigh/Durham Shopping! fish emulsion Shiva Roses 2 04-03-2003 04:39 PM
fish emulsion Susan H. Simko Roses 3 22-02-2003 05:03 AM