Old 13-03-2007, 06:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default roses in a sub tropical SEqueensland garden

After our hot dry Summer we have had a couple of weeks of rain and my roses
have started flowering again.
The white Icebergs led the way, then the burgundy Iceberg and surprise! the
Blue Moon.
Next was the climbing Cecille Brunner, though not as profusely as in spring,
and then Apricot Nectar and Angel Face .
Bettina produced a flower and the next two days were 35 - 38 degrees Celsius
so it is sulking again.(The same thing happened when it last produced a
flower at the beginning of summer)
Lili Marlene and Double delight have buds.
Only Maria Callas and Yellow Charles Austin are recalcitrant though they are
growing healthy green shoots and foliage. In Maria's favour she is doing
well considering I decided to reposition her in the height of summer.
During the worst of the drought I was watering them one day a week with grey
water, when the rain started I raced out and scattered cow manure around.
Now that it is hot and humid the icebergs are getting black spot of course
but all I ever do is cut off the affected foliage. Not a lot of work for
heaps of pleasure.
Janet

Old 14-03-2007, 01:40 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Good to hear there is rain down under!

We are getting our share now and our roses are starting to put out new growth.
Turning spring here - and warming up for a change.

Now is the time for both of us to enjoy the nice temps before winter and summer swap!

Best Regards,
Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

Old 16-03-2007, 02:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Janet Lillie wrote:
[...]

I'll add to Martin's greetings. I've had
the pleasure of visiting New Zealand twice.
The first time was early spring and most
roses were not in bloom. I made a
point to visit the second time in late
summer when the roses were gorgeous.

We also have lots of new growth but winter
was late enough that few bushes have
flower buds. I'm looking forward to the
blooms.

"Not a lot of work for heaps of pleasure"
certainly sums up my view about my
roses!

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8 USA