Old 22-03-2007, 08:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default Spring Rose Care

I live in central U.S.A. -- I realize everything is relative and there
are no gaurantees, but like to learn and enjoy some gardening. I have
4 rose bushes of greatly varying size. The oldest is 9 years and is
currently pruned to 3 feet in height. The others are currently about
1 foot to 18 inches tall. In late fall, I mulched the bases almost
one foot deep with what I had available, mainly pine needles and some
leaves.

1) When should I remove the mulch in spring or should I just leave it?

Old 22-03-2007, 11:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

"1_Patriotic_Guy" wrote in message
ups.com...
I live in central U.S.A. -- I realize everything is relative and
there
are no gaurantees, but like to learn and enjoy some gardening. I
have
4 rose bushes of greatly varying size. The oldest is 9 years and is
currently pruned to 3 feet in height. The others are currently
about
1 foot to 18 inches tall. In late fall, I mulched the bases almost
one foot deep with what I had available, mainly pine needles and
some
leaves.

1) When should I remove the mulch in spring or should I just leave
it?

I'd move the mulch back as soon as you see
new growth starting. Move it back several
inches from the main stem. I.e., it should
still be over the dripline and protect the
soil (and the rose) from radical changes in
temperature. And check your last frost
date. Any nursery should have that
information.

You might also check the American Rose
Society web site for Articles that might
apply to your zone. The Articles are
available to the public; you don't have to
be a member.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8