Old 25-04-2003, 07:44 PM
dave weil

Default Keeping a Messy Garden

Well, I broke down.

I bought Don Juan. Rescued it from WalMart. $6.97

Shiva just wore me down chuckle.

I planted it in my messy yard on the other side of the sidewalk from
Sombreuil and my messy side porch.

And I couldn't afford to spend a lot of money on a trellis so I bought
one that's only 4 ft. tall. I figure that I'll buy two more over the
season and put them next to this one and train the Don Juan to grow
laterally. Maybe I'll just keep adding trellises as it expands and end
up with a wall of Don Juan next to the sidewalk.

I'll try to post photos in the coming days.

Portland From Glendorra now has 3 fully opened blooms and about 20
bloom clusters with 4 -5 buds per cluster. if I remember last year,
the side buds don't open until the center bud is just about finished.
that's going to be one fragrant area of the yard because it's only
about 6 feet from Aloha, which is highly fragrant when in full bloom.

Old 25-04-2003, 09:20 PM
Shiva

dave weil wrote:

Well, I broke down.

I bought Don Juan.

Yay!

Rescued it from WalMart. $6.97

Boo! If it didn't have a bloom on it, there's no telling what you have!

Shiva just wore me down chuckle.

Excellent, just excellent! I am nothing if not persistant, you know! You
will not be sorry. It is a great rose.

I planted it in my messy yard on the other side of the sidewalk from
Sombreuil and my messy side porch.

Red and white. Can't go wrong. Very nice! (Damn near haiku, eh?)

And I couldn't afford to spend a lot of money on a trellis so I bought
one that's only 4 ft. tall. I figure that I'll buy two more over the
season and put them next to this one and train the Don Juan to grow
laterally. Maybe I'll just keep adding trellises as it expands and end
up with a wall of Don Juan next to the sidewalk.

Hey, Dave, didn't I see some chain link fence in your yard? It's the best
to grow roses on.

I'll try to post photos in the coming days.

Super!

Portland From Glendorra now has 3 fully opened blooms and about 20
bloom clusters with 4 -5 buds per cluster. if I remember last year,
the side buds don't open until the center bud is just about finished.
that's going to be one fragrant area of the yard because it's only
about 6 feet from Aloha, which is highly fragrant when in full bloom.

Makes me wish for a scent snapshot. Just what we need, a new invention!

It's cold and rainy today and I am hibernating before a busy weekend. Nice
and cozy!

Old 25-04-2003, 09:20 PM
dave weil

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 16:05:11 -0400 (EDT), "Shiva"
wrote:

dave weil wrote:

Well, I broke down.

I bought Don Juan.

Yay!

Rescued it from WalMart. $6.97

Boo! If it didn't have a bloom on it, there's no telling what you have!

We'll see what happens. It has 4 really plump unopened buds on it. I
should know soon...

Are you saying that we shouldn't rescue roses from WalMart? g

Shiva just wore me down chuckle.

Excellent, just excellent! I am nothing if not persistant, you know! You
will not be sorry. It is a great rose.

If I could only do the same with Felicia chuckle.

I planted it in my messy yard on the other side of the sidewalk from
Sombreuil and my messy side porch.

Red and white. Can't go wrong. Very nice! (Damn near haiku, eh?)

Damn near...

And I couldn't afford to spend a lot of money on a trellis so I bought
one that's only 4 ft. tall. I figure that I'll buy two more over the
season and put them next to this one and train the Don Juan to grow
laterally. Maybe I'll just keep adding trellises as it expands and end
up with a wall of Don Juan next to the sidewalk.

Hey, Dave, didn't I see some chain link fence in your yard? It's the best
to grow roses on.

Yes, however, it's already covered in roses. There *is* another
length, but it's under a 40 foot tree, so it's not ideal for roses.

I'll try to post photos in the coming days.

Super!

Portland From Glendorra now has 3 fully opened blooms and about 20
bloom clusters with 4 -5 buds per cluster. if I remember last year,
the side buds don't open until the center bud is just about finished.
that's going to be one fragrant area of the yard because it's only
about 6 feet from Aloha, which is highly fragrant when in full bloom.

Makes me wish for a scent snapshot. Just what we need, a new invention!

Well, there's always John Waters' Smell-o-rama. However, the scents on
that are a bit different...

It's cold and rainy today and I am hibernating before a busy weekend. Nice
and cozy!

I'm getting ready to face the masses at work. I'm hoping for a
profitable night...
Old 25-04-2003, 09:44 PM
Philip Edward Lewis

dave weil wrote:
I bought Don Juan.

[...]
I planted it in my messy yard on the other side of the sidewalk from
Sombreuil and my messy side porch.

When we got DJ i could only think of one spot for it,
climbing up the back of the house to the bedroom window...

--
be safe.
flip

Old 25-04-2003, 10:44 PM
Shiva

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 16:35:04 -0400, Philip Edward Lewis
wrote:

dave weil wrote:
I bought Don Juan.

[...]
I planted it in my messy yard on the other side of the sidewalk from
Sombreuil and my messy side porch.

When we got DJ i could only think of one spot for it,
climbing up the back of the house to the bedroom window...

Philip, this is hilarious! But did you really? And if so what else are
you growing?

Old 25-04-2003, 11:08 PM
Cass

dave weil wrote:

Well, I broke down.

I bought Don Juan. ..

And I couldn't afford to spend a lot of money on a trellis so I bought
one that's only 4 ft. tall. I figure that I'll buy two more over the
season and put them next to this one and train the Don Juan to grow
laterally. Maybe I'll just keep adding trellises as it expands and end
up with a wall of Don Juan next to the sidewalk.

And you don't have to waste the trellis on the bottom two feet or so -
that's just a waste of good lumber.

Portland From Glendorra now has 3 fully opened blooms and about 20
bloom clusters with 4 -5 buds per cluster. if I remember last year,
the side buds don't open until the center bud is just about finished.
that's going to be one fragrant area of the yard because it's only
about 6 feet from Aloha, which is highly fragrant when in full bloom.

Isn't zone just amazing? We're mild zone 9, one frost all year, and yet
Glendora is just now opening flowers one at a time.

I just received Aloha from Amity Heritage Roses. Boy, did they send out
nice plants. Aloha came with a bud that I thought had been bug eaten -
it was oddly shaped. That sucker opened up the this bloom, quartered in
the center, with that wonderful freesia scent. I'm sold.
Old 26-04-2003, 06:56 AM
dave weil

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 16:35:04 -0400, in rec.gardens.roses you wrote:

dave weil wrote:
I bought Don Juan.

[...]
I planted it in my messy yard on the other side of the sidewalk from
Sombreuil and my messy side porch.

When we got DJ i could only think of one spot for it,
climbing up the back of the house to the bedroom window...

SPEW!

You owe me a new keyboard...

Old 26-04-2003, 08:32 AM
JimS.

"dave weil" wrote in message
Well, I broke down.

I bought Don Juan. Rescued it from WalMart. $6.97
Shiva just wore me down chuckle.

Me too....Shiva, uh, "convinced" me last year. (that's OK, I talked her into
Joseph's Coat anyway, so we're even...!) My Don Juan looks like he's
started on Human Growth Hormone, and this is only barely the 2nd season.

..
And I couldn't afford to spend a lot of money on a trellis so I bought
one that's only 4 ft. tall. I figure that I'll buy two more over the
season and put them next to this one and train the Don Juan to grow
laterally. Maybe I'll just keep adding trellises as it expands and end
up with a wall of Don Juan next to the sidewalk.

I had to laugh at this .....I was gonna do this too..... Not only is the
trellis that my Don Juan on also a shrimpy little 4 ft one, it's also along
the sidewalk, and starting to crowd his neighbors..... I was thinking of
doing the exact same thing, adding another one and growing sideways.
There's a tree above it, so he can't grow upwards anyway.. In fact,
tomorrow I think I'm going to have to move a Mr. Lincoln that's right next
to him. At the rate things are going, it looks like little Juancito is not
going to stand for Mr. Lincoln as a next door neighbor. Funny, it SEEMED
like plenty of room between them just a couple of weeks ago.....!

JimS.
Seattle

Old 27-04-2003, 03:32 AM
Zphysics1

Heh. I never follow gardening 'cookbooks'. I love messy gardens! More creative
and interesting.

/z.
Old 27-04-2003, 06:20 PM
Shiva

wrote:

Boo! If it didn't have a bloom on it, there's no telling what you have!

We'll see what happens. It has 4 really plump unopened buds on it. I
should know soon...

So, how's it looking? Last time I did that I got two "Granada" that
were so NOT. Scentless orange and yellow things, nothing like it. I
hacked them to death with great pleasure muhahah.

Are you saying that we shouldn't rescue roses from WalMart? g

Nope. My two circus are from Lowes. BUT they were blooming and
healthy, in good-sized pots. I do think one ought not buy bare root
Walmart roses if one gives a poop about what variety one is actually
buying. G

If I could only do the same with Felicia chuckle.

Try me again. I'm having a weak moment.

Hey, Dave, didn't I see some chain link fence in your yard? It's the best
to grow roses on.

Yes, however, it's already covered in roses. There *is* another
length, but it's under a 40 foot tree, so it's not ideal for roses.

Aha. So, how much do you like that tree?

Makes me wish for a scent snapshot. Just what we need, a new invention!

Well, there's always John Waters' Smell-o-rama. However, the scents on
that are a bit different...

Eeeyuu, you mean the scratch and sniff thing?! You are perverse.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:36 PM
Registered User

Terrorist in nature you describe as your gardening friends would seem to be very common. I deeply understand how it could have been to some, anyone can love the flowers but hate nature. I have concluded that most of the gardeners out of a fear of the natural world and the need to tame it so thoroughly, it is no longer scary.
Old 07-04-2011, 12:06 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiva View Post
I have a friend who hacks her roses down to stumps every year. I just
cut off what looks diseased. I have blooms now and she doesn't even
have buds.

She spends hours scraping stuff out from under her shrubs, and cutting
out parts of them that she "doesn't like the looks of.". I stuff
leftover oak leaves and other yard garbage under all of them and never
look back. They get lots of water and some food, and always look
great.

She calls an exterminator over any insects that show up in any numbers
anywhere in her yard. I spray my roses with systemic insecticide, but
leave everything else alone. If she sees a spider she kills it! I have
those huge, bright green orb weavers and all manner of other spiders
all over. I hardly remember to get the abandoned "cob webs" out of the
corners of the windows and doors.

She frets over cats, swears bumblebees are really carpenter bees,
tells me the squirrells are ruining her garden, constantly rakes and
bags any waste. I feed the cats, and love watching the squirrels and
chipmunks. Every other year or so the big oaks at the back of the
property drop millions of acorns, and I never pick them up. They rot
right there unless the squirrels bury them, then they sprout. I mow
the forest twice and that is the end of them most years. But the
squirrels have a Fabulous Buffet, and never touch my roses!

When the leaves fall, I shove them under shrubs, use them as mulch,
anything but taking the time to rake and bag. If all the beds are
overflowing, there is an area under the trees where I blow the leaves
with the blower. Thrushes are always back there flipping up leaves as
they do, looking for bugs. Voles and moles have built cities under
there, but I plant my "must haves" in holes lined with scratchy rock,
and they eat the roots of the unprotected weeds, not my precious
plants. Yesterday I saw a BIG rabbit in the back, eating the abundant
weeds in the patch of green that might pass for a lawn--from an
airplane! The rabbits have never bothered my roses, gardenias, etc. A
former owner planted liriope as a border EVERYWHERE, and I know I
should have dug and divided it. But it is unstoppable! The rabbits do
eat it, but who could tell?

Because of the vole population, we have our very own Neighborhood
redtailed hawk who patrols the area and perches in tall trees staring
down at the messy yards. There are lots of sloppy gardeners in my
neighborhood. Not much is neat, but everything is lush. Flora and
fauna. The choice usually goes like this: there is just enough time to
water deeply OR pull up weeds and bag them--or there is just enough
time to rake and bag leaves OR spray or feed my roses--or "god those
weeds look terrible but I just have time to cut some flowers for the
table."

It is hard to see why I should change my ways. For once, the lazy
person is rewarded!
Hi to all,

Friends, I want to plant roses in my garden. I had bought two rose plant- red & pink. Planted it too. Bt now I want some suggestions to maintain them properly. Can anyone please guide me how do I do it? Do I need any perticular manure for roses? Or any special pesticides?? Reply me asap.
Old 30-04-2011, 12:32 AM
Registered User

Having rose in your garden its not a much responsibility, just give it properly water and if you are really concern about them much then fertilizers specially for roses comes in market you can buy them. Hope it helps.
Waterfall Pond Kit

Messy garden dina United Kingdom 4 25-04-2009 01:28 PM
Keeping a Messy Garden - new shots dave weil Roses 3 27-04-2003 08:44 PM
Keeping a Messy Garden Shiva Gardening 26 25-04-2003 05:20 AM
How to grow E. Tennelus/Sags w/o messy runners? alex crouvier Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 20-04-2003 06:25 AM
How to grow E. Tennelus/Sags w/o messy runners? alex crouvier Freshwater Aquaria Plants 2 27-03-2003 03:21 AM