Old 29-04-2007, 08:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default Roses from Store - Rooting for Newbie!

I'm a total newbie and I've read that you can dip cut stems from a rose and
root them in a plastic cup with plastic over the top for a month or two, and
you'll end up with roots on the bottom, and its time to plant your new
roses! Any more information I'd love. I just got Schultz TakeRoot, plastic
cups, plastic bags, plastic wrap, and soil. And a rose obviously.

Old 30-04-2007, 12:01 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

"HyperCube33 (Life2Death)" wrote in
message ...
I'm a total newbie and I've read that you can dip cut stems from a
rose and root them in a plastic cup with plastic over the top for a
month or two, and you'll end up with roots on the bottom, and its
time to plant your new roses! Any more information I'd love. I just
got Schultz TakeRoot, plastic cups, plastic bags, plastic wrap, and
soil. And a rose obviously.

See articles at the American Rose Society
website on how to propagate roses.
www.ars.org

You're not going to be able to do what you
want with roses from the store. They're
grown under very special conditions, not
typical garden conditions. Not all garden
roses are that easy to propagate, and in
fact it's illegal to grow "new" roses from
roses that are still under patent.

Your best bet is to find a friend or
neighbor who has a rose you like, and
ask for a cutting - after you've read up
on how to do it.

Gail
San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 30-04-2007, 10:35 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Well, it shouldn't be illegal to grow them under patent. Only sell them, or
make a profit off of them. Also, I don't plan on using them outside, so
hardiness isn't an issue, either.

Old 06-05-2007, 02:17 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

"HyperCube33 (Life2Death)" wrote in
message ...
Well, it shouldn't be illegal to grow them under patent. Only sell
them, or make a profit off of them. Also, I don't plan on using them
outside, so hardiness isn't an issue, either.

I didn't make the laws. I was simply
informing you. And propagating a rose
still under patent is against the law. Your
choice. ::shrug:: I'm not the rose police.

You don't plan on "using them outside".
What does that mean? Roses don't grow
inside. They are outdoor plants. They
require a number of hours of sun - generally
6 hours daily. Even minis don't do well
inside.

As I recommended before, go to
www.ars.org and learn something about
roses. Or ... simply do whatever you want
to do and learn from your mistakes.
Again, your choice.

Gail

Old 07-05-2007, 01:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

[...]

Well perhaps what I was getting at is fair use of a patent. Home and or
personal use of patents isn't illegal, as far as I'm aware. You're not
allowed to commercially copy and or use the patent for your business,
however. So you cant sell the copied roses or plants... or the seeds. All
I'm saying is that this wont stop me from trying as I'm sure no one will
care since I'm planning to use the flowers for an occasion next year and
sacrifice the plants in favor of a new experiment.

Though I do realize that all plants are outdoor bound, and most commercial
roses aren't hardy enough to survive weather up north where I'm from, I
assumed this is why you mentioned that it wouldn't work. I have been
successful with growing or starting a number of plants indoors in soil and
rock medium, even foam and a cardboard like material. So I was mealy curious
if I could get tips on how to grow roses and use this information to attack
the problem better. =D