Old 03-05-2007, 08:43 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default Grass in roses

Hi All,

After about two years of neglect I have decided to clean up my front yard.

One of the problems I have is grass growing in two of my rose plants. I
don't know who to ask and I did google for "grass in roses" but I don't
think there is a common problem. Could be wrong though.

I did try and pull the grass by hand but it seems to really be in there.
I'm afraid it will kill the roses.

The gal at Home Depot who seemed really sincere in helping me said that
I may have to dig it out and remove the grass then. She says I will
have to deal with the shock to the roses.

My neighbor recalled that Ortho made something that could help, but I
did not find anything at home depot.

I can take a picture of the two plants to show what's happening. I
would appreciate any assistance.

Thanks,
Larry A
Old 03-05-2007, 03:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

On May 3, 3:43 am, Larry Apolonio wrote:

One of the problems I have is grass growing in two of my rose plants. I
don't know who to ask and I did google for "grass in roses" but I don't
think there is a common problem. Could be wrong though.

I did try and pull the grass by hand but it seems to really be in there.
I'm afraid it will kill the roses.

The gal at Home Depot who seemed really sincere in helping me said that
I may have to dig it out and remove the grass then. She says I will
have to deal with the shock to the roses.

Grass can be hard to pull out but its roots usually are not terribly
deep. I would NOT dig up the rose and replant if I could avoid it.
Take a trowel or small shovel and try to skim the grass off the soil.
That is, angle the trowel so it is almost level with the surface and
push it under the grass, just into the soil. I have a tool called a
Hori-Hori Knife that's perfect for this sort of thing.

You may not get all the grass but you should be able to get most of it
up. If it's extensive it may be a bit of work. When you have it
mostly out, cover with mulch and then go back every week or so to look
for and pull out grass that comes up through the mulch.

--
Henry

Old 03-05-2007, 11:50 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
DP DP is offline

"Larry Apolonio" wrote in message
[...]

Larry,

Cover the grass with several layers thickness of newspaper up close to the
rose bushes. Cover the newspaper with mulch. That will smother the grass,
and you will have very little that survives to pick out by hand. The
newspaper will rot away, and next year you should not have a grass problem.

DP

Old 04-05-2007, 01:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

On May 3, 12:43 am, Larry Apolonio wrote:
Hi All,

After about two years of neglect I have decided to clean up my front yard.

One of the problems I have is grass growing in two of my rose plants. I
don't know who to ask and I did google for "grass in roses" but I don't
think there is a common problem. Could be wrong though.

I did try and pull the grass by hand but it seems to really be in there.
I'm afraid it will kill the roses.

Thanks,
Larry A

Grass and weeds pull out much easier when the soil is wet; so water
or pull the grass after a good rain.
A sharp pointed tool, such as the hori knife mentioned, or an
'asparagus
knife' or even a screwdriver can loosen the soil to remove grass
easier,
but too shallow to damage rose roots.
If you use a mulch, be sure to keep it a few inches away from the
base of the plant.
Emilie