Old 30-05-2007, 07:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default To Gail and Jeffrey

This group was once such a vital and interesting place to discuss
roses.

Do you think that it is possible bring this group back to life?

Or do you think that the people who destroyed this group are still
willing to take the time and energy to destroy it again?

If they are still there with the will to ruin, then there is no point,
but if not, and they have moved on with their lives, it would be
great to try to create a new vital rose talk community here.

I would surely love to bring rose discussions back here, seeing that
the USENET format of embedded message trees is highly superior to the
lame and extremely clunky email or web lists such as are those used by
yahoo groups, gardenweb or Rosarian's Corner.

The strength of USENET is that you can see exactly where you are in
any thread and read only what interests you without wading through a
bunch of messages that say stuff like "ditto".

If it is possible, I would like to give it a shot with you folks. And
I can bring others over here as well by pointing to it on the front
page of my website (which gets pretty heavy traffic of people
interested in rose gardening and rose varieties).

Bob Bauer
http://www.rose-roses.com/

Old 31-05-2007, 03:45 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default crown gall (was: To Gail and Jeffrey)

"Bob Bauer" wrote in message
[...]

Hi Bob -

Nice to see you posting again. I've tried
to stay active here, along with a few other
folk. I'm certainly willing to get into
discussions and hope you can generate
some interest from your contacts. I agree
with you about the USENET format.

So here's my comment and question:
I seem to have trouble with crown gall or
canker. And it's not because I hoe around
my roses and do any damage. At most I'll
hand-pull weeds. I suspect the damage is
from insects. Even one of my large Teas
had a crown gall on it, although I think it
will do fine. It's the smaller, weaker roses
that succomb.

Not all of my roses get this disease, but
it seems to occur with greater frequency
than I would expect. Whenever a rose
dies, I do replace the soil, so I'm not
passing the disease on that way, and I'm
pretty careful about sterilizing tools after
pruning around a gall or canker.

If anyone has any hints other than making
my garden into a toxic dump*, I'm willing
to give it a try.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8
*I heart my bees.

Old 31-05-2007, 04:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default crown gall

Gail -

I'm not an expert, just a long time home owner :-)

I know of insects that cause that. A type of wasp as I recall
and another is a moth (IIRC).

You might try using some chemical that is absorbed. Have to see
what you have - insect (might be micro sized for months). Some is
fungi types and can be controlled that way. Always a test!

At first, I thought 12th grade was going to be the last :-)
After 18 years of testing, I gave up and know life is a test!

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Endowment Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot"s Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

Old 31-05-2007, 07:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Gail said
Nice to see you posting again. I've tried
to stay active here, along with a few other
folk. I'm certainly willing to get into
discussions..

Hi Gail, I guess I need to ask specifically if you are aware if there
has been any posting here by the folks who previously destroyed this
group in the last year or two? I really would like to know.

So here's my comment and question:
I seem to have trouble with crown gall or
canker...

It sounds like you have long experience with this problem. I have no
first hand knowledge, but have read quite a bit about crown gall.

Crown gall is a bacterial infection that triggers a DNA anomaly in the
plant tissue producing a growth hormore that makes the cells grow in
an uncontrolled cancer like manner.

The bad bacterium is called Agrobacterium tumefaciens. Being a
bacteria that has a "saprophyte" or dormant form, it can live in
organic debris for several years. It is spread from soil to plant by
ground water or by rain splashing, and causes a new infection if that
soil or splash hits a fresh scape or gouge within 24 hours or so of
the injury.

Recommendations I have seen say to not replant in the same area at all
for 5 years. Although that seems pretty extreme to me unless you have
unlimited space.

Spraying both the soil and the plant with insecticide to prevent
chewing insects that cause plant wounds is recommended also.

Good luck. Sounds like a real headache!

Bob Bauer
http://www.rose-roses.com/
Old 31-05-2007, 04:46 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

"Bob Bauer" wrote in message
Gail said
Nice to see you posting again. I've tried
to stay active here, along with a few other
folk. I'm certainly willing to get into
discussions..

Hi Gail, I guess I need to ask specifically if you are aware if
there
has been any posting here by the folks who previously destroyed
this
group in the last year or two? I really would like to know.

I'd say no.

Posting has been light enough that you could
search google groups www.groups.google.com
by name (if you recall names) or simply by
a range of dates. See if you see anything
or anyone problemmatic.

[...]

I have a ton of unused space but my body
will no longer tolerate me digging large
holes (for rose beds) in heavy clay!
I've read a number of sources including
Peter Schneider who say there is no
reason to avoid replanting as long as you
replace the soil. I've had roses do great in
locations where earlier roses died due to
crown gall or canker.

Spraying both the soil and the plant with insecticide to prevent
chewing insects that cause plant wounds is recommended also.

I really should try that. I have fire ants
(which love my lightweight soil in raised
beds) as well as a number of rolly pollys
(there's probably an official name) and I've
read the latter can do damage in numbers.
Wasps could also be a possibility. I
know I have several different kinds around.

Good luck. Sounds like a real headache!

Bob Bauer
http://www.rose-roses.com/

Thanks!

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 01-06-2007, 03:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Bob;
I'm fairly new to this site, but I agree, it would be nice if it were more
active. Whatever I can do to help, I'm in.

Best Regards
Jeff, Southeast Michigan, Zone 5

Old 01-06-2007, 04:05 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Jeff said:

I'm fairly new to this site, but I agree, it would be nice if it were more
active. Whatever I can do to help, I'm in.

That's great, Jeff. I think we should give it a shot and seeif we
can get more discussion going here, if the trolls show up again, then
we'll see what happens.

I'll list this group again on the homepage of my website.

Have a good one,

Bob Bauer
http://www.rose-roses.com/

Old 05-06-2007, 12:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Ann Ann is offline

Bob Bauer expounded:

[...]

I am not a long time rec.gardens.roses poster, I am, however, a long
time rec.gardens poster who has read rec.gardens.roses from time to
time (I started reading Usenet in 1994).

If I may offer a suggestion: I saw what happened here. One of the
biggest problems made here in rgr is responding to trolls and their
provocation. Ignore them. Don't respond to them. Trolls wither and
die without attention. I saw way too many good posters here get
furious, fight with the trolls and then leave. If you want to rebuild
this newsgroup then you'll have to deal with the trolling in a calmer
manner. We've had all manner of trolls in rec.gardens try to ruin it,
but they can't get a foothold. They still try, we still ignore them.
If you all can get past this you'll have your newsgroup back.

I hope it can be successful. I've always wanted to see this as
vibrant as rec.gardens has been.
--
Ann
e-mail address is not checked