Old 06-06-2007, 07:19 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default rosa therese bugnet

Hello,

I am new to growing roses and recently planted a rosa therese bugnet
at the front of a bed. I didn't realize that this rose grew so large
and I am wondering if I should move it or if I can prune it to keep it
a reasonable size for the space (~3 - 4 feet).

Thanks,
Sonia

Old 06-06-2007, 04:21 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,

I am new to growing roses and recently planted a rosa therese bugnet
at the front of a bed. I didn't realize that this rose grew so large
and I am wondering if I should move it or if I can prune it to keep
it
a reasonable size for the space (~3 - 4 feet).

Thanks,
Sonia

It helps to say where you live. E.g., if it's
already very hot where you live, moving a
recently planted rose again might shock and
kill it. If it's still fairly cool you can probably
move it now safely, or you can wait until
Autumn.

I've moved large roses over winter (or what
passes for winter where I live), with success.
You prune it down to a few feet, take as
much of the root ball as you can, give it some
sort of root stimulator (I prefer seaweed but
not everyone can get it), and don't feed it until
it reestablishes itself. But do water.

Re pruning to size it in place: Some roses
won't bloom or won't bloom as much if you
prune them more than they should be pruned.
Do the research on your rose to find out how
much pruning it can tolerate.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8 USA

Old 07-06-2007, 04:37 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

kSonia asked:
I am new to growing roses and recently planted a rosa therese bugnet
at the front of a bed. I didn't realize that this rose grew so large
and I am wondering if I should move it or if I can prune it to keep it
a reasonable size for the space (~3 - 4 feet).

The rose you have 'Theresa Bugnet' is a type of rose called a Hybrid
Rugosa. Theresa is one of the most vigorous(fast growing) of all of
the rugosas.

Therefore, I don't think it would be advisable to try to keep it small
in the space you have allotted to it. It is possible, but it would
have to be pruned after every bloom cycle. I would move it to a
bigger location.

I concur with Gail that you should be careful of the temperature when
you move it. And her advice for moving it is great also.

As for timing, I would say wait for winter and move it in late winter
when it is dormant and before it leafs out for the next year. There
are plenty of roses that fit the bill for small 4 to 5 foot sized
roses. Get the right variety for the space.

Have a good day,

Bob Bauer
http://www.rose-roses.com/