Old 24-10-2007, 07:31 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default Name of rose

Hi everyone,

My grandad died in August 07, he loved roses. Unfortunately I didn't
know his favourite one.

I would like to plant a rose in memory of him in my garden. Does
anyone know if there is a rose with the name Ernie in it that is
available in New Zealand?

If not can anyone suggest one, he was born in England. Is there an
old fashioned type with English/NZ ties?

Thanks to anyone that can help.

Noonoo

Old 24-10-2007, 04:22 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

wrote:
Hi everyone,

My grandad died in August 07, he loved roses. Unfortunately I didn't
know his favourite one.

I would like to plant a rose in memory of him in my garden. Does
anyone know if there is a rose with the name Ernie in it that is
available in New Zealand?

If not can anyone suggest one, he was born in England. Is there an
old fashioned type with English/NZ ties?

Thanks to anyone that can help.

Noonoo

Can't answer for what is avaiable in N.Z. but there is a varity Ernest
H. Morse There used to be a old variety called Ernest Ferray (dates back
to early 1800s)

Nearest to you is Ernest Blue (description pasted from
http://www.hanna.id.au/roses/Trials2004.html)

Ernest's Blue
This variety appears to be rare to the point of extinction, but I can't
fathom why. Apparently bred in 1990 by LeGrice (England), this modern
hybrid tea seems to have eveything going for it: large 'blue' (i.e.
mauve) blooms good for cutting, medium to tall growth, strong fragrance
and "abundant, disease-free foliage" according to Botanica's Roses. Yet
it seems lost to all countries bar Australia - I can only find it at
Mistydowns and Treloar.

24 July 2004 - I found mine potted at Green E Plants at Galston (who
source them from Treloar).
22 August 2004 - despite spoiling, this is a reluctant starter. One of
the two canes seems to have dieback. Ernest will need some trimming and
nurturing, despite my planting it in a very sunny spot.
31 October 2004 - it's been a long time coming, but the first bloom
turned out large and luxurious despite the bush remaining quite small. A
crowded looking bud opened to a bloom with a muddled centre. Its
fragrance is weaker than Blue Moon but the colour is stronger and
darker, and it lasts longer in the vase:
Old 24-10-2007, 08:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

How about the mine "Ernie" ? Nor'East Miniature Roses carries it and they
ship. Here is their info
Type: Retail, Mail Order
Address: PO Box 520
Arroyo Grande, California 93421-0440
United States
Phone: 805 481-2234 ext 466 [Information]
805 481-7025 [Fax]
800-426-6485 [Ordering]

Its a nice little rose and quite hardy.

Madame Ernest Calvat is a nice Bourbon, hardy to zone 5, which was
bred in France. I know roses unlimited carries it and they may be willing
to ship to you.

Best of luck

Jeff, Southeast Michigan, zone 5

ups.com...