Old 22-11-2007, 05:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default When to buy Mail-Order?

What's is the soonest time it would make sense to buy roses for
south florida. i'm willing to risk that we won't have a frost this
year, but is now a bad time to plant bare-root? more importantly, is
the selection picked over and the nurseries closed?

also, can anyone here recommend good nurseries to order from?

thx.
alex.

Posted with NewsLeecher v3.9 Beta 8
------------------- ----- ---- -- -

Old 23-11-2007, 02:32 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Hope this helps

Pickering Nurseries Shipping Schedule

Orders for delivery in spring 2008 can be placed now but availability
may change after the roses have been harvested, graded, and counted; a
process that is completed early in the New Year. Orders will be processed
in the sequence in which they are received. When choosing an approximate
date to receive your plants we have some guidelines for you to follow: If
you live in an area where the ground freezes in winter you should plant as
soon as the ground is workable in the Spring. Frost (or snow) will not hurt
the canes nor kill the plant if you follow the planting instructions. If
bare root roses are planted later in the season when temperatures are higher
the plants have a harder time getting established and have a greater chance
to fail.

Thank you for checking our update. We hope it has been informative.

Jeff Kline Southeast Michigan Zone 5