Old 20-02-2003, 07:40 PM
Shiva

Default OT Raleigh/Durham Shopping! fish emulsion

Susan H. Simko wrote:

[...]
It's easier
to go shopping in north Raleigh for me than it is to go to Durham. It's
about the same distance, too.

I live downtown, in Oakwood, near the Governor's mansion. It is one of
those old neighborhoods. There is NO shopping downtown, so I go to Cary or
North Raleigh. Some time when you don't mind traveling, a well-kept secret
for great bargains on quality stuff is Cary's Crossroads Shopping Center.
There is a combination of interesting independent stores and all the big,
reliable discount chains. Steinmart, Marshall's, Bed Bath and Beyond, Best
Buy, Linens and Things, just tons and tons of places. Even Lowes, HD,
Target, and some pretty good restaurants along with good music and book
stores. Best "one stop" place to shop around.

Despite everything (and just finishing cleaning up work stuff after
being out of the office for a day and a half), this wasn't too bad for
us. We lost power for about two hours but our new gas logs kept the
house temperature very stable. Now, I'm hoping that everything melts
off soon so I can assess the plant damage.

We did well--no power loss at all, and there really wasn't much buildup on
the vegetation. It was all that nice sleet, no evil thick clear ice on the
lines or anything. GREAT to sled on! I played with the neighbor kids and
damned near wiped out my trashcan lid on the back of a parked car!

Breadmaker

Susan, what kind? I would like to make bread without a hassle.

I got my piilu clematis from Wayside yesterday. I can't wait to get
them inot the ground! However, I'm going to put them in pots inside for
a while until they get established before putting them in the bed. If
you're thinking about clematis and aren't averse to a pink/purple
flower, I would highly recommend checkin gout the piilu.

Sounds nice. You seem to know a lot about Clematis. I am new at it, just
bought the first last summer. I have The President (purple) and a furry
white one whose name escapes me, growing together on the side of the
house. I plunked mine in the ground, they did fine. We'll see about how or
if they come up again.

Susan
s h simko at duke dot edu

Old 28-02-2003, 02:51 PM
Susan H. Imko

Shiva wrote:

I live downtown, in Oakwood, near the Governor's mansion. It is one of
those old neighborhoods. There is NO shopping downtown, so I go to Cary or
North Raleigh. Some time when you don't mind traveling, a well-kept secret
for great bargains on quality stuff is Cary's Crossroads Shopping Center.
There is a combination of interesting independent stores and all the big,
reliable discount chains. Steinmart, Marshall's, Bed Bath and Beyond, Best
Buy, Linens and Things, just tons and tons of places. Even Lowes, HD,
Target, and some pretty good restaurants along with good music and book
stores. Best "one stop" place to shop around.

I used to go there a lot when I lived on the other side of town, not far
from I40. My biggest complaint with that center is the ingress and
egress into it. What a pain! I swear that in this area the people who
design and layout the parking lots should be lined up and shot.

Breadmaker

Susan, what kind? I would like to make bread without a hassle.

This is my second one. My dad gave me his old one which was enough for
me to learn that I would use it and that I really love it. I then
bought the Breadman Ultimate (model TR2200C) after doing some research.
It was rated a best buy by consumer reports and what negative comments
it got (noise and movement), I haven't had any problems with. Bread
machines are by their nature noisy (and this one is definitely quieter
than the one my dad gave me) and mine has never moved at all. Speaking
of which, I have a fresh loaf of honey wheat bread calling me....

Sounds nice. You seem to know a lot about Clematis. I am new at it, just
bought the first last summer. I have The President (purple) and a furry
white one whose name escapes me, growing together on the side of the
house. I plunked mine in the ground, they did fine. We'll see about how or
if they come up again.

I wouldn't say I know a lot. I just have a tendency to read alot about
things before I buy them. (This habit I developed after murdering a few
plants. *sigh* Always, ALWAYS make sure you have the right light for the
plant you want to put in your garden.) I love to read and learn so this
is just part of my nature. I was also fascinated by the Piilu hence the
reason I relayed the info.

Sorry to take so long to respond but I've been sidelined with a very
nasty siunus infection that is trying desperately to turn into
bronchitis or pneumonia.

Susan
s h simko at duke dot edu

Old 04-03-2003, 04:39 PM
Shiva

Susan H. Imko wrote:

I used to go there a lot when I lived on the other side of town, not far
from I40. My biggest complaint with that center is the ingress and
egress into it. What a pain! I swear that in this area the people who
design and layout the parking lots should be lined up and shot.

Yes indeedy! Part of the problem, I think, is that we have this big
engineering school here. So we get these boys with Bright New Ideas. The
Triangle (this is kind of funny from a larger perspective)is known for
Great New Fancy Innovations! Compared with other places in NC. Meanwhile,
there is another shopping center--the name escapes me--off Capital Blvd
that I swear I have to go in four complete circles to exit. Every time.

Breadmaker

I then
bought the Breadman Ultimate (model TR2200C) after doing some research.

[...]I have a fresh loaf of honey wheat bread calling me....

Well, I have a close friend who could just about make a meal of bread
alone. I'll look into this model, thanks!

Clematis

I wouldn't say I know a lot. I just have a tendency to read alot about
things before I buy them. (This habit I developed after murdering a few
plants. *sigh* Always, ALWAYS make sure you have the right light for the
plant you want to put in your garden.) I love to read and learn so this
is just part of my nature. I was also fascinated by the Piilu hence the
reason I relayed the info.

That's the very best thing about these kinds of forums (--ae, --a!) I will
be on the lookout for this at the fancy nurseries this spring and summer.

Sorry to take so long to respond

It's a busy world--I do understand. There isn't enough time for everything!

but I've been sidelined with a very
nasty siunus infection that is trying desperately to turn into
bronchitis or pneumonia.

Terrible things, sinus infections. That old "drink water" advice is really
good, because it keeps it from getting too gross, IYKWIM. The other thing
is, irrigate your nose every day, in the shower, even. And stay up with
your supplements--stresstabs--lots of b and c, just what you need. Also--
and this is my remedy for any congestion type things: get a big can of
good quality chicken broth (if you make your own stock, that's better, if
you slaughter your own chicken, well, ICK! :-) I know you don't want to
cook when you're sick) bring it to a boil then turn down to a simmer;
smash three or four fresh hard cloves of garlic with the broad side of a
meat tenderizing mallet (or use a garlic press) then chop it fine and put
it in the broth. Simmer for ten minutes on low, too much heat makes the
garlic bitter. Sprinkle just a little cayenne pepper in--you can always
add more to each cup. This stuff gets everything going, respiratory wise,
clears your sinuses, and boosts your immune system. No kidding! It makes
you feel better, too. Good luck and hope you are well soon!

Susan
s h simko at duke dot edu

[IBC] Fish emulsion (was Satsuki problem,) Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 30-05-2004 07:04 AM
Is it ok to mix BT, Rotenone, and fish emulsion in the same sprayer? kenny Edible Gardening 3 29-05-2004 08:03 PM
Fish Emulsion and Osmocote Penny Morgan Edible Gardening 0 18-06-2003 09:44 PM
Fish Emulsion. Huskies4all Roses 5 24-03-2003 04:56 AM
fish emulsion Susan H. Simko Roses 3 22-02-2003 05:03 AM