Old 20-04-2003, 05:44 PM
Jayne

Default Bare root roses

Hi - I'm new here (live in England).

I recently ordered a pretty rose via mail order & it arrived bare rooted in
a plastic bag.
I've always bought roses in containers which I've had success with - roses
grow quite well for me.
But this just looks like a stick! Will it really grow well? I planted it
straight away with compost & bone meal.

Thanks for any insight!
Jayne

Old 21-04-2003, 05:32 AM
Gail Futoran

"Jayne" wrote in message
Hi - I'm new here (live in England).

I recently ordered a pretty rose via mail order & it

arrived bare rooted in
a plastic bag.
I've always bought roses in containers which I've had

success with - roses
grow quite well for me.
But this just looks like a stick! Will it really grow

well? I planted it
straight away with compost & bone meal.

Thanks for any insight!
Jayne

It is a good idea to cover the bare canes
with soil or mulch to keep them from drying
out. Once you see new growth, you can
start gradually removing the cover. I just
use my garden hose and a gentle stream of
water.

If it grows at all it should be as healthy as a
container rose. That is, you shouldn't be
able to tell a difference eventually.

Gail
San Antonio TX Zone 8

Old 21-04-2003, 06:56 AM
Daniel Hanna

In Jayne wrote:
I recently ordered a pretty rose via mail order & it arrived bare
rooted in a plastic bag. I've always bought roses in containers which
I've had success with - roses grow quite well for me. But this just
looks like a stick! Will it really grow well? I planted it straight
away with compost & bone meal.

Jayne, if you've never planted a bare root before, make sure of the
following:

(1) Make sure there aren't any 'air pockets' in the soil by compressing
it and watering it in as you plant. Compost will break down over time,
so keep a watchful eye. A proportion of compost mixed with normal soil
might have been wiser.

(2) Make sure that the 'bud union' (the knot in the stem where the main
shoots come from) is slightly above soil level after you plant. If
you're in a freezing climate I think some people put the bud union
underground (anyone?)

(3) Get some Osmocote and mix it gently into the planting soil before
roots develop there. This will add a slow ongoing supply of nutrients
not found in bone meal and compost.

(4) Don't be tempted to water much (if at all) in the first few weeks.
You may flood the baby roots that develop. Roses don't need much water
until they have a fair amount of foliage.
Old 21-04-2003, 05:58 PM
Jayne

Thanks for the replies. I have got a mulch of bark chippings around it & the
hole was a mix of compost & soil.
I will add some rose fertiliser also.......here's hoping it grows some
beautiful roses!

My climbing roses are full of foliage & buds already so this little stick
looks a bit forlorn - poor thing.

How To Deal With Low Budget Bare Root Roses Bob Bauer Roses 4 28-10-2009 01:34 AM
Bare Root Roses tmtresh Roses 5 27-02-2004 01:08 AM
Bare root roses 3 weeks no green Joe Stead Roses 4 18-05-2003 01:20 AM
Joseph's Coat & Bare Root Roses Shiva Roses 0 27-04-2003 07:32 PM
Bare root roses Jayne United Kingdom 1 23-04-2003 02:46 PM