GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Rose bush shape info for a very novice gardener (was How did everybody get started with thei (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/roses/17037-re-rose-bush-shape-info-very-novice-gardener-re-how-did-everybody-get-started-thei.html)

Gail Futoran 21-04-2003 04:08 AM

Rose bush shape info for a very novice gardener (was How did everybody get started with thei

"Kim" wrote in message
In article

,
says...

The plants will arrive by the end of next week so I

need
to know which one will
go where, based on how it might "grow up".

The bed in question is hexagonal, with 6' sides. I

will
be putting in 7 roses

George Burns
Intrigue
Lavaglut
Margaret Merril
Easy Going
The Fairy
Baby Grand

Here's one link to a picture and description of
a mature "The Fairy":

http://members.fortunecity.com/cnett...ur/thefairy.ht
ml

Very pretty shot of her, Gail. It's a bit more spreading

than I thought at
first. How much smaller can she be pruned down to, do you

think? (width wise)
I may not be saying that right so I hope you know what I

mean.

I've never grown a Fairy but given that they're
always available around here, and a lot of people
grow them, I suspect they're hard to kill.

I do grow Red Cascade (a mini rambler, I
believe is the classification) that we "prune"
often with a weed whacker and the rose(s)
don't care! I grew the first four from cuttings
from a local groundcover demo site, then
grew 18 from cuttings last year, hoping at least
a dozen would survive. Well, all 18 survived
so I planted a bunch of them as mini-windbreaks.
I'm guessing Fairy would function much the
same.

Gail