GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Spacing of new Hybrid Teas (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/roses/171032-spacing-new-hybrid-teas.html)

[email protected] 11-02-2008 08:29 PM

Spacing of new Hybrid Teas

I just placed an order for a bunch of new Hybrid Teas each within 3 -
5 feet of growth, but a rather large amount of variety in terms of
color etc. I made the assumption that 3 feet of spacing for each
plant is sufficient. Although I have heard about another approach
that you should add up the heights of 2 adjacent plants and then
divide that in half to get the proper spacing.

My question is - can I just go with my 3 foot average and be safe?

What does everyone else do?

Jeffrey L. Kline 11-02-2008 10:37 PM

Spacing of new Hybrid Teas

Hybrid Teas tend to have an upright form, and they are not generally known
for having very dense foliage. (That's why they're called "blooms on a
stick"). As a result, I generally plant them fairly close together, about 2
feet apart on center, maybe a little closer if they are on the small side,
say 3 feet or less. I may plant them 18 inches on center if I'm doing a
mass planting of a single cultivar, as long as I have good airflow in the
area. Just be sure to leave some spaces so you can get at them. I often
leave a space every 5 to 6 feet so I can stand in the middle and do rose
care. I think 3 feet is more than generous.

Jeff Southeast Michigan, Zone 5

[email protected] 27-03-2008 07:41 PM

Spacing of new Hybrid Teas

wrote in message

I just placed an order for a bunch of new Hybrid Teas each within 3 -
5 feet of growth, but a rather large amount of variety in terms of
color etc. I made the assumption that 3 feet ofspacingfor each
plant is sufficient. Although I have heard about another approach
that you should add up the heights of 2 adjacent plants and then
divide that in half to get the properspacing.

My question is - can I just go with my 3 foot average and be safe?

What does everyone else do?

Would you use the same spacing for Floribundas?

Jeffrey L. Kline 27-03-2008 11:03 PM

Spacing of new Hybrid Teas

Yep, 3 feet should be fine, closer if you are mass planting. Most
Floribundas are not really large, and even the big ones don't generally have
a big spread.

Jeff, Southeast Michigan, Zone 5

(and its snowing!)