Old 21-02-2003, 05:17 AM
Debra Fritz

Default Tree Rose help Pls.

Hi to All,

My friend has 2 or 3 tree roses and they are about 3-4' tall. When
they bloom, the tops become so heavy they pull the plants over and
threaten to snap the main stem ( cane?)

Does anyone know of a decorative support device that may be
commercially available to stop this problem? We have checked with
several nurseries and they have nothing available except the
suggestion to use a piece of pipe ( metal or PVC). She is hoping to
find something more decorative than that.

TIA,

Debra
Old 21-02-2003, 12:06 PM
Snooze

What if you place a trellis that goes up to the base of the graft (where the
branches sprout from), and hide the pipe behind that? Don't tie the tree
stock to the wooden trellis because that gets weaker over time.

Also spray-paint the pipe to match the color of the trellis, or flat green
or flat black, that way you don't see shiny metal as easily.

Good luck
Sameer

Old 28-02-2003, 04:31 AM
Dave Short

"Debra Fritz" wrote in message

Hi to All,

My friend has 2 or 3 tree roses and they are about 3-4' tall. When
they bloom, the tops become so heavy they pull the plants over and
threaten to snap the main stem ( cane?)

Does anyone know of a decorative support device that may be
commercially available to stop this problem? We have checked with
several nurseries and they have nothing available except the
suggestion to use a piece of pipe ( metal or PVC). She is hoping to
find something more decorative than that.

TIA,

Debra

1/2 in. concrete reinforcement bar (rebar) is lumpy, and will oxidize to a
natural brown. It's not that noticeable.

Old 28-02-2003, 04:03 PM
Susan H. Imko

Debra Fritz wrote:
Hi to All,

My friend has 2 or 3 tree roses and they are about 3-4' tall. When
they bloom, the tops become so heavy they pull the plants over and
threaten to snap the main stem ( cane?)

Does anyone know of a decorative support device that may be
commercially available to stop this problem? We have checked with
several nurseries and they have nothing available except the
suggestion to use a piece of pipe ( metal or PVC). She is hoping to
find something more decorative than that.

Would the round decorative trellises they make to go around a mailbox
post work? I believe Gardener's Supply (being the one company I tend to
be most familiar with) has them...

Susan - no I don't own stock in Gardener's Supply though I should...
s h simko at duke dot edu

Old 07-03-2003, 02:58 AM
Cass

Dave Short wrote:

"Debra Fritz" wrote in message

My friend has 2 or 3 tree roses and they are about 3-4' tall. When
they bloom, the tops become so heavy they pull the plants over and
threaten to snap the main stem ( cane?)

Does anyone know of a decorative support device that may be
commercially available to stop this problem? We have checked with
several nurseries and they have nothing available except the
suggestion to use a piece of pipe ( metal or PVC). She is hoping to
find something more decorative than that.

Depends on your look. I could see bamboo in the right garden. I could
see a teepee pole (used to stake trees) or a 2 x 2 wrapped with cotton
or sisal rope. I could also see a cheap can of paint (use Rustoleum
green and mix in a little black to tone it down) on PVC, or even
better, galvanized conduit, being just fine. Rebar does rust to a nice
brown, as noted by Dave Short. Then use green plastic coated stranded
copper wire to attach the rose to the support. Or if you have or live
near willows, use a supple willow like they do in Europe to tie the
rose to the support.

Of course, some roses grow so big they have no business being budded as
standards. What are the roses, do you know? Maybe your friend must, in
addition to staking the rose, deadhead hard to keep it from being top
heavy.