GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Conifer Mulch Compost for Rose garden? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/roses/172293-conifer-mulch-compost-rose-garden.html)

YMC[_2_] 28-03-2008 01:42 AM

Conifer Mulch Compost for Rose garden?

Hi there,

Its Autumn here in Melbourne, Australia. I have a row of conifer pine
trees - medium size - dark green leaves. They are about 6 metres tall and
are due for a good prune back. I thought of lopping off the top of the
trees- mulching them including the leaves finely - and then using them as
compost for my rose garden. I'm allergic to the pine leaves so I'm getting
tree pruner to do the job.

One old tree pruner however warned me that using fresh conifer pine mulch
was a very bad idea and may kill the roses.

Is using conifer mulch for the rose garden a bad idea?

Gail Futoran 28-03-2008 03:45 PM

Conifer Mulch Compost for Rose garden?

"YMC" wrote in message
u...
Hi there,

Its Autumn here in Melbourne, Australia. I have a row of conifer
pine trees - medium size - dark green leaves. They are about 6
metres tall and are due for a good prune back. I thought of lopping
off the top of the trees- mulching them including the leaves
finely - and then using them as compost for my rose garden. I'm
allergic to the pine leaves so I'm getting tree pruner to do the
job.

One old tree pruner however warned me that using fresh conifer pine
mulch was a very bad idea and may kill the roses.

Is using conifer mulch for the rose garden a bad idea?

Fresh mulch uses up nitrogen in the soil as it
decomposes. Roses need nitrogen to grow.
That's probably what your old tree pruner was
referring to. Whether conifer pine causes more
of a problem than other types of mulches, I
don't know. I would be tempted to either
let it age in a pile first (couple of months?)
before applying to your rose beds, or add
nitrogen to the soil to make up for what the
decomposing mulch is taking out.

You might try googling mulch and nitrogen
or mulch ageing to find articles on this
subject. Here's one link I found:
http://www.jfwalshmulch.com/news.ivnu
which mentions other potential problems of
fresh mulch.

Here's a link to an article from a
non-commercial site:
http://www.main.org/aog/articles/mulc.htm

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8 USA

Jeffrey L. Kline 28-03-2008 08:17 PM

Conifer Mulch Compost for Rose garden?

I think conifer mulch is also very acidic. I agree with Gail, I would let
it age for a bit if you can. I had some chipped-up pine trees dumped on my
property some years age, and for the longest time the only thing that would
grow on or around the pile were wild raspberries, which require a sharply
acid soil.

Jeff, Southeast Michigan, Zone 5

zippy 13-04-2008 12:07 AM

Wanted: Sturdy Waxy Roses

Hello, I'm looking for a particular rose to grow here in San Jose, Ca.

I have seen this rose locally, it is a very sturdy, big headeded beauty,
with thick waxy petals.
I wish I had a graft of it, my yard would be full of them!

Please help me identify this rose, or suggest a place for me to look?

Thanks,

~~~Zippy

Gail Futoran 14-04-2008 11:02 PM

Wanted: Sturdy Waxy Roses

"zippy" wrote in message
Hello, I'm looking for a particular rose to grow here in San Jose,
Ca.

I have seen this rose locally, it is a very sturdy, big headeded
beauty,
with thick waxy petals.
I wish I had a graft of it, my yard would be full of them!

Please help me identify this rose, or suggest a place for me to
look?

Thanks,

~~~Zippy

www.helpmefind.com

Gail

Jeff[_5_] 15-04-2008 05:41 AM

Wanted: Sturdy Waxy Roses

Gail Futoran wrote:

www.helpmefind.com

Mine wasn't the original query, but thanks for that fascinating link.

Gail Futoran 16-04-2008 07:00 AM

Wanted: Sturdy Waxy Roses

"Jeff" wrote in message
Gail Futoran wrote:

www.helpmefind.com

Mine wasn't the original query, but thanks for that fascinating
link.

You're welcome. I've found it very useful
for years.

Gail