GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Granada was Breaking Dormancy... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/roses/17346-re-granada-breaking-dormancy.html)

Susan H. Simko 23-04-2003 03:32 PM

Granada was Breaking Dormancy...

Shiva wroteregarding Granada:

The buds are so gorgeous. Raspberry and Lemon-Orange sherbet. I cannot
wait until you see it open. The substance is so good--nice thick,
ruffly petals that open in a perfect, high-centered spiral if you cut
it just when the sepals flex. Otherwise it opensdifferently, but is
still so beautiful. And the fragrance!! Really, my favorite rose. I
have three and one is budding this minute.

She is quite the strip tease artist!!! I've been watching that bloom
slowly open for five days now. *grin* Obviously, she knows just how
gorgeous she is and is more than willing to tease the hell out of us as
she makes her gradual appearance.

Is Witherspoon great? I have never physically been there, just ordered
bare root roses, and thought they were overpriced.

Good variety with the advantage of being able to get what you want
*right now*. This is always a plus for impatient people like me. The
plants are beautiful, the people are very friendly but the prices do
seem a bit high. They do have a good sale going on right now for the
remainder of their bare root roses. No Granada bare roots though which
is why I bought a two gallon potted plant. You know, on second thought,
the price for a two gallon wasn't that much different from Lowes, maybe
a dollar or two more. Better quality, imo, and no mystery roses like at
Lowes or HD.

My biggest problem is their hours. They close at five on weekdays and
it's a lot easier and closer for me to go from work than to go from
home. I took off a little early on Friday in order to get there before
they closed.

Susan
s h simko at duke dot edu

Susan H. Simko 29-04-2003 04:44 PM

Granada was Breaking Dormancy...

Shiva wrote:

(This is for you, too, Daniel!) This is so funny! They do take a while
to open, and retain that gorgeous tight phase for a while. Tell me,
Susan, does your Granada have pink in it? Daniel is right, there is
pink in many photos of it. But mine has what I want to call a sort of
washed out cherry color, or cerise, or maybe orange and pink mixed? It
is very hard to describe. Or maybe I don't want to see pink in Granada
because I don't like pink! LOL!

My Granada is definitely not what I would call pink. Washed out cherry,
a deep fuschia maybe but no pink. The one bloom I have had has very
deep, vibrant colours. I had planned on getting some pics this past
weekend but spent most of the weekend on the couch pampering a flare of
my ulcerative colitis. Beautiful gardening weekend lost.

I *have* to get a pic of the Blue Girls. They are covered in big fat
buds that will burst open any day. Also, one of my mystery roses has
bloomed. Hopefully, I can get a pic of it tonight.

Susan
s h simko at duke dot edu