GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Climbing Rose (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/roses/174928-climbing-rose.html)

wind'n'stone 22-05-2008 11:16 PM

Climbing Rose

I have a climbing rose over an arch in our newly aquired garden, think it might be 'high hopes'??

It is very leggy and does not look very happy. I understand from neighbour it is about 5 years old. Any ideas how to help it along - I'm a total rose novice - never had/grown before.

Soil verges on acid. Windy site. 18" soil then rock.

beccabunga 30-05-2008 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wind'n'stone (Post 793796)
I have a climbing rose over an arch in our newly aquired garden, think it might be 'high hopes'??

It is very leggy and does not look very happy. I understand from neighbour it is about 5 years old. Any ideas how to help it along - I'm a total rose novice - never had/grown before.

Soil verges on acid. Windy site. 18" soil then rock.

Roses like lots of food and a neutral soil, and prefer clay to light soil.

Feed it with a rose food, mulch strongly with rotted manure, foliar feed, and remove dead roses. Investigate pruning it in the spring.

wind'n'stone 11-08-2008 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beccabunga (Post 795096)
Roses like lots of food and a neutral soil, and prefer clay to light soil.

Feed it with a rose food, mulch strongly with rotted manure, foliar feed, and remove dead roses. Investigate pruning it in the spring.

Thanks - have fed it and used well rotted horse manure - looking a bit better. Soil is definately acid so don't know if this is part of the problem.

It has flowered and is a fragrant pale pink so looking up books high hopes may be correct. I'll cut back in spring and see how it comes.