Old 26-06-2008, 04:59 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

Default Mini rose question

Hi guys,

For Valentine's Day my husband gave me a thoughtful gift - a
supermarket mini-rose. I wasn't sure how long it would last, but it
was doing pretty well until this week. When I first received it, I
read up on its care and have been looking after it as best I could.

Anyhow, I think it might have died or is in the process of dying. I'm
not sure if I can save it or not. On Tuesday I came home to discover
that almost all the leaves had curled and dried up, whereas I know at
least on Sunday, when I watered it, that it was far more lush. Only
three or four leaves didn't curl and dry up!

I thought maybe I had underwatered it, so I watered it generously, but
on Wednesday the soil was still quite moist. Usually it is more
thirsty than that.

I trimmed most of the dried up leaves and it's now a very sad looking
little plant. Is there anything I can do for it? It does not appear to
have aphids, although there were aphids in the past, which I killed
with soapy water.

Thanks,
Christine
Old 27-06-2008, 01:07 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

We have had problems with the super market ones.
Perhaps they were pushed to much.

Maybe it didn't get enough sunlight and not enough food (pushing) to
live.

Hope a greenhouse expert comes in on this - they might be the person to
knows.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
http://lufkinced.com/

Old 27-06-2008, 03:55 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses

We have had problems with the super market ones.
Perhaps they were pushed to much.

Maybe it didn't get enough sunlight and not enough food (pushing) to
live.

Hope a greenhouse expert comes in on this - they might be the person to
knows.

Thanks Martin. It is in a place with full sun, so I know it got plenty
of that. There are four plants in my pot, and one of them was even in
the process of making a bloom. I've never had a plant go south so
suddenly before!
Old 27-06-2008, 03:16 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post

We have had problems with the super market ones.
Perhaps they were pushed to much.

Maybe it didn't get enough sunlight and not enough food (pushing) to
live.

Hope a greenhouse expert comes in on this - they might be the person to
knows.

Thanks Martin. It is in a place with full sun, so I know it got plenty
of that. There are four plants in my pot, and one of them was even in
the process of making a bloom. I've never had a plant go south so
suddenly before!
These mini-roses are forced cuttings and usually are in a compost that wears out quickly. They are not really designed to survive.

We have taken to planting them out into the ground when it is warm enough and most love that. They seem perfectly hardy.

The other thing to do is to repot the strongest one into a good compost, tipping its growing points when you do that, and discard the others.
Old 28-06-2008, 01:25 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

These mini-roses are forced cuttings and usually are in a compost that
wears out quickly. They are not really designed to survive.

What's a forced cutting? That's kind of a shame that they're sold like
that, I really want mine to live! Earlier I said that it had aphids,
but I think, after reading up on them again, it was actually spider
mites. I used to crush a whole bunch under my thumb if I saw them
under the leaves.

We have taken to planting them out into the ground when it is warm
enough and most love that. They seem perfectly hardy.

Thanks, I've read that too. I'll have to do more reading as our soil
here (Calgary) is mostly clay. My outdoor plants that grow best tend
to be the ones native to the area. Every year I buy a couple of bags
of soil and compost, but this doesn't seem to improve the quality.

The other thing to do is to repot the strongest one into a good
compost, tipping its growing points when you do that, *and discard the
others.

The stems are still nice and green, so I repotted all of them last
night in a mix of potting soil and dirt from my flowerbed. All the
dirt in the pot was quite moist still, and I haven't watered it for a
couple days now. Fingers crossed!

Thanks again,
Christine

Old 01-07-2008, 02:32 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
What's a forced cutting?

The growers takes thousands of minute cuttings and grow them in controlled conditions of humidity, light and temperature that encourage rapid growth to flowering stage.

The stems are still nice and green, so I repotted all of them last
night in a mix of potting soil and dirt from my flowerbed. All the
dirt in the pot was quite moist still, and I haven't watered it for a
couple days now. Fingers crossed!

Thanks again,
Christine
Hope they grow on well for you.
Old 07-07-2008, 02:17 PM
Registered User

can you post a photo please?
Old 07-07-2008, 07:53 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses

"Marie James" wrote in
message ...

can you post a photo please?

But not on this newsgroup, please. This is a text-only newsgroup. A
garden binary newsgroup is
alt.binaries.pictures.garden

Or one could post a link to a website where the photo is located.
That's become a more common method.

Gail